Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
One legit concern I have is that if the Canucks plan to bring up Demko next year (and all signs to seem to point to this), he's going to playing behind a porous defense. The Canucks really need to do something about their defense so that they can insulate Demko a lot more. The last thing you want to see is Demko getting lit up behind that brutal D and losing confidence.

Personally? I'd consider throwing money at John Carlson. Yes - the chances of him coming here are unlikely, but no harm in trying.

I doubt Baertschi + Hutton would land us a decent defenseman unfortunately. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I have a problem with bringing any of our kids up into this gong show.This crap is not changing until Ben/Linden are gone.No sence bringing these kids into a loosing envirorment.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
One legit concern I have is that if the Canucks plan to bring up Demko next year (and all signs to seem to point to this), he's going to playing behind a porous defense. The Canucks really need to do something about their defense so that they can insulate Demko a lot more. The last thing you want to see is Demko getting lit up behind that brutal D and losing confidence.

Personally? I'd consider throwing money at John Carlson. Yes - the chances of him coming here are unlikely, but no harm in trying.

I doubt Baertschi + Hutton would land us a decent defenseman unfortunately. Hopefully I'm wrong.

That wasn't the original plan. It was for split role in first season, challenge for #1 in 2nd while still splitting most time It's 37 to 26 games started in favor of Thatcher, but it's been a straight rotation over the past few games, even with a week off the next man up has gotten the start. Next year was supposed to be all Thatcher as # 1 with a new goalie coming in as his backup. Bachman's contract is up this season. Thatcher would get games in Vancouver. When Nilsson's contract runs out after next season, Thatcher comes in on the last year of Markstrom's contract and decisions get made from there.

Since the All-Star game at the end of January, Bachman has started 10 games. Thatcher has started 8 games + 29 minutes in a Comets blow out loss in which he gave up 3. Thatcher gets #9 this afternoon in Toronto. So far in those games he has yielded 32 goals and has a record of 3-5. He has been more than human since Feb., 2 (the first game after the All-Star break).

Vancouver can do whatever they want, but the Canucks are not going to be all that next season and it wouldn't hurt to give Thatcher a little more seasoning. Based on Benning's past actions, you are probably correct in that he will be there next Fall. It's only my opinion, but I don't think he has ironed out the most important aspect of an NHL goalie and that's the mental side of the game. I think you will be surprised at what your defense still looks like next season. Jim likes his D and is counting on Juolevi being a big addition and he will get the Canucks another NHL ready prospect (in his mind) in the upcoming draft. Not a good idea to place Demko in such an unbalanced state of affairs in his rookie NHL exposure.

Not trying to start any arguments. Just voicing an opinion based on what I see and know. Thus, I am out of here. That's it. Take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Dahlin or Svechnikov = Tavares viewing Vancouver as a legit long term opportunity?

If the Canucks luck out in the lottery and end up drafting Rasmus Dahlin or Andrei Svechnikov, would either of those draftings be enough to convince a guy like John Tavares to sign with the Canucks for the right amount of money? Would the presence of Dahlin or Svech be enough to convince a guy like Tavares that the Canucks would have a realistic shot of being cup contenders within the 7 years of Tavares signing with us?

Baertschi-Tavares-Svechnikov
Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen
Eriksson-Sutter-Lind

Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Tanev
Del Zotto-Pouliot

Demko
Markstrom

OR

Baertschi-Tavares-Boeser
Leipsic-Horvat-Virtanen
Dahlen-Petterrson-Eriksson
Archibald-Sutter-Lind

Dahlin-Tanev
Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Del Zotto

Demko
Markstrom

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dahlin or Svechnikov = Tavares viewing Vancouver as a legit long term opportunity?

If the Canucks luck out in the lottery and end up drafting Rasmus Dahlin or Andrei Svechnikov, would either of those draftings be enough to convince a guy like John Tavares to sign with the Canucks for the right amount of money? Would the presence of Dahlin or Svech be enough to convince a guy like Tavares that the Canucks would have a realistic shot of being cup contenders within the 7 years of Tavares signing with us?

Baertschi-Tavares-Svechnikov
Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen
Eriksson-Sutter-Lind

Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Tanev
Del Zotto-Pouliot

Demko
Markstrom

OR

Baertschi-Tavares-Boeser
Leipsic-Horvat-Virtanen
Dahlen-Petterrson-Eriksson
Archibald-Sutter-Lind

Dahlin-Tanev
Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Del Zotto

Demko
Markstrom

As far as Tavares is concerned..I would say no..He would most likely go to a team that is a Cup contender than the Canucks.Although,when the new core of the team is realized,I don't think the Canucks will have any trouble attracting free agents

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
As far as Tavares is concerned..I would say no..He would most likely go to a team that is a Cup contender than the Canucks.Although,when the new core of the team is realized,I don't think the Canucks will have any trouble attracting free agents

Fair enough, but let me ask you this:

1) Do actual current 'cup contenders' have enough cap space to bring in Tavares?
2) If it can be said that Rasmus Dahlin is the "Connor McDavid/Auston Matthews of defensemen," then where would that leave Vancouver in terms of going from "zero to hero" overnight?

How many teams out there can offer Tavares $12.5 million for 7 years without breaking up their current core?

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Tavares could be enticed by the idea of playing with Boeser or Pettersson on his wing

Probably still zero % chance he signs here though.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I would be the odds of Tavares signing here at lower than 5 percent .. but if he becomes a ufa you absolutely have to offer him a contract.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Tavares could be enticed by the idea of playing with Boeser or Pettersson on his wing

Probably still zero % chance he signs here though.

I would be the odds of Tavares signing here at lower than 5 percent .. but if he becomes a ufa you absolutely have to offer him a contract.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Tavares is an absolute game changer and if current contenders are up against the cap, why not take a run at Tavares? That 14 million coming off the twins' salary can be used on JT. I seriously doubt that any other current contender could afford to pay JT$12.5 million at 7 years without breaking up their own core.

Now - as far as Petterrson and Boeser go............I'm not sure if those two players alone would be enough to sway JT as lots of teams out there have comparable talent. You get lucky and win the Dahlin sweepstakes however, and I think it gets people talking.

We saw what 'buzz' was created when Edmonton won the McDavid sweepstakes. All of a sudden, high ticket UFA's wanted to play there (i.e. Lucic). If the Canucks win the Dahlin sweepstakes, or even get Svech, you'd have to think that Tavares could start realistically looking at himself in Vancouver and seeing himself as a missing piece of some kind..........and a place that could give him the $12.5 mill/7 years.

If the Canucks draft 3rd or lower, then yes..................I think idea the of Tavares viewing Vancouver as a viable long term opportunity is a laughable pipe dream, but Dahlin/Svech changes things imo.

This is the part where I go into massive fantasy land and so pardon my French here ladies and gents:

1) The Canucks draft Dahlin.
2) Due to the presence of Dahlin (a.k.a. "The Connor McDavid of defensemen"), Tavares sees Vancouver as a respectable and viable long term opportunity. The Canucks say adios to the twins, and give Tavares $12.5 mill/7 years.
3) In the future if the Canucks run into cap problems, they can package guys like Eriksson, Sutter, whoever, with picks to clear cap space.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I would say there's a 0% chance Tavares considers signing here. Much better teams and teams with a much brighter future are capable of giving him very enticing offers. "You've spent most of your career on a non-playoff team, how would you like to spend another 7 years on one?"

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
i didn’t. might’ve saved their jobs
I get that.

But isn't him being on the team due to them? I mean you would have more of a point if they signed a player under the previous regime that made them look better, but beoser is all them.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
its 100% on them that he made the team. it was a good pick and strategically correct to keep him on the team. i just dont think the process above them that evaluates their job security is mentally sound or reasonable, and so keeping him off the roster would've been my choice (assuming i was somehow pulling the strings in this one case) in hopes that the stupid powers-that-be fire linden/benning as a result

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I would say there's a 0% chance Tavares considers signing here. Much better teams and teams with a much brighter future are capable of giving him very enticing offers. "You've spent most of your career on a non-playoff team, how would you like to spend another 7 years on one?"

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but lets just say that we get Rasmus Dahlin (a.k.a. "The Connor McDavid of defensemen.......at least as he's been advertised).

If Dahlin is considered to be in the same weight class as McDavid, Matthews, and Laine, then don't you think that atleast changes the PERCEPTION around the league of where Vancouver is headed within a few years?

That, combined with the fact that the Canucks could likely give Tavares the $12.5/7 deal without blowing up its core, would at least catch Tavares' attention would it not?

I hardly think that the Canucks + Dahlin + Tavares would classify us are "us being more than 7 years away from being a contender," or "other teams having a much brighter future."

Winning the Dahlin sweepstakes would undoubtedly change things as it did for both Edmonton and Toronto (I believe that Edmonton will be a strong team again and that this year was an anomaly.)

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but lets just say that we get Rasmus Dahlin (a.k.a. "The Connor McDavid of defensemen.......at least as he's been advertised).

If Dahlin is considered to be in the same weight class as McDavid, Matthews, and Laine, then don't you think that atleast changes the PERCEPTION around the league of where Vancouver is headed within a few years?

That, combined with the fact that the Canucks could likely give Tavares the $12.5/7 deal without blowing up its core, would at least catch Tavares' attention would it not?

I hardly think that the Canucks + Dahlin + Tavares would classify us are "us being more than 7 years away from being a contender," or "other teams having a much brighter future."

Winning the Dahlin sweepstakes would undoubtedly change things as it did for both Edmonton and Toronto (I believe that Edmonton will be a strong team again and that this year was an anomaly.)

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Dahlin would absolutely guarntee us a future cup. He’s going to be an absolute Franchise dman.

If we draft Dahlin, we just need to trade and sign right to fill out the depth spots.

Kane/JVR-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Nelson
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leipsic-Sutter-Eriksson
Gaunce/Archibald/Goldy/Lind/Motte

Dahlin-Tanev
Edler-Stetcher
Juolevi-Gudbranson(ugh)
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom
Demko

Trade Hutton (for Brock Nelson), Nilsson (4th/5th), Gagner (3rd), Del Zotto(2nd) and Granlund (3rd)
Sign JVR/Kane 6x6

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I think Vancouver would have to shore up their defence even more than Dahlin to entice Tavares to come here.

In dream land, if they were to get 1st overall this year though, they could overpay (salary wise) to get Tryamkin to return (he would have to buy out his last year in Russia himself), and overpay badly in terms of assets to get Shea Weber out of Montreal.

Move out Hutton, Stetcher, Pouliot and MDZ for literally anything.

Tryamkin at 5mil/year
Weber - Trade 2019 1st + 2018 2nd + Kole Lind + probably Juolevi (I know most posters are going to freak out about that but it would take that much or more and be worth it)

But that would make our defence:
R. Dahlin ($ 925,000) --- S. Weber ($ 7,857,143)
N. Tryamkin ($ 5,000,000) --- C. Tanev ($ 4,450,000)
A. Edler ($ 5,000,000) --- E. Gudbranson ($ 4,000,000)
A. Biega ($ 750,000)

Thats a heck of a defence. Even if we can't entice Tryamkin back, Hutton would likely bounce back playing with Tanev. Edler and Gudbranson is actually a very solid bottom pairing (overpaid though). That may entice someone like Tavares to sign, along with the prospect of playing with some high end young talent like Boeser and/or Petterson on his wing and obviously something like 12.5 mil/year for 7 years.

Resigning the Sedins to play a third line offensive role for two years (3 mil/year) and paying to get rid of Gagners contract (hopefully using assets from moving our defencemen) our forwards could shake out to be alright as well:

E. Petterson ($ 925,000) --- J. Tavares ($ 12,500,000) --- Boeser ($ 925,000)
S. Baertschi ($ 2,500,000) --- B. Horvat ($ 5,500,000) ---L. Eriksson ($ 6,000,000)
D. Sedin ($ 3,000,000) --- H. Sedin ($ 3,000,000) --- J. Virtanen ($ 2,000,000)
B. Gaunce ($ 750,000) --- B. Sutter ($ 4,375,000) --- D. Archibald ($ 750,000)

I'd probably end up playing Boeser with Horvat to split up the offence (unfortunately that would leave Loui or Virtanen on the top line, but to be honest playing with Tavares and Petterson, I think either would do well).

I'd also look into a straight swap of Lucic for Eriksson. Put Lucic on the Sedins wing to put some goals and be mean. He is a bit slow to retrieve pucks for the Sedins but I still see him being valuable there.

Lots of room for competition between some of the younger guys like Leipsic, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich to force their way into the lineup or rotate in and out of the fourth line.

With extras (3 at 750,000 - 1,000,000) and Dorsetts LTIR that puts the Nucks just under 77,000,000. Likely the cap will be that high next season.

...But Benning will probably keep Gagner, MDZ, Stetcher etc and do nothing to make this team better next year.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I think Vancouver would have to shore up their defence even more than Dahlin to entice Tavares to come here.

In dream land, if they were to get 1st overall this year though, they could overpay (salary wise) to get Tryamkin to return (he would have to buy out his last year in Russia himself), and overpay badly in terms of assets to get Shea Weber out of Montreal.

Move out Hutton, Stetcher, Pouliot and MDZ for literally anything.

Tryamkin at 5mil/year
Weber - Trade 2019 1st + 2018 2nd + Kole Lind + probably Juolevi (I know most posters are going to freak out about that but it would take that much or more and be worth it)

But that would make our defence:
R. Dahlin ($ 925,000) --- S. Weber ($ 7,857,143)
N. Tryamkin ($ 5,000,000) --- C. Tanev ($ 4,450,000)
A. Edler ($ 5,000,000) --- E. Gudbranson ($ 4,000,000)
A. Biega ($ 750,000)

Thats a heck of a defence. Even if we can't entice Tryamkin back, Hutton would likely bounce back playing with Tanev. Edler and Gudbranson is actually a very solid bottom pairing (overpaid though). That may entice someone like Tavares to sign, along with the prospect of playing with some high end young talent like Boeser and/or Petterson on his wing and obviously something like 12.5 mil/year for 7 years.

Resigning the Sedins to play a third line offensive role for two years (3 mil/year) and paying to get rid of Gagners contract (hopefully using assets from moving our defencemen) our forwards could shake out to be alright as well:

E. Petterson ($ 925,000) --- J. Tavares ($ 12,500,000) --- Boeser ($ 925,000)
S. Baertschi ($ 2,500,000) --- B. Horvat ($ 5,500,000) ---L. Eriksson ($ 6,000,000)
D. Sedin ($ 3,000,000) --- H. Sedin ($ 3,000,000) --- J. Virtanen ($ 2,000,000)
B. Gaunce ($ 750,000) --- B. Sutter ($ 4,375,000) --- D. Archibald ($ 750,000)

I'd probably end up playing Boeser with Horvat to split up the offence (unfortunately that would leave Loui or Virtanen on the top line, but to be honest playing with Tavares and Petterson, I think either would do well).

I'd also look into a straight swap of Lucic for Eriksson. Put Lucic on the Sedins wing to put some goals and be mean. He is a bit slow to retrieve pucks for the Sedins but I still see him being valuable there.

Lots of room for competition between some of the younger guys like Leipsic, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich to force their way into the lineup or rotate in and out of the fourth line.

With extras (3 at 750,000 - 1,000,000) and Dorsetts LTIR that puts the Nucks just under 77,000,000. Likely the cap will be that high next season.

...But Benning will probably keep Gagner, MDZ, Stetcher etc and do nothing to make this team better next year.

Why in gods name would a supposed rebuilding club trade picks and prospects for an aging veteran d-man? Nevermind, that I think the next GM in Montreal might be giddy to get rid of that contract.

Lucic? Are you serious? If there is a contract worse than Eriksson's it is the one Lucic is on.

Tryamkin is not coming back until his contract is over, if ever.

The Sedins I have been watching look done. They are probably more than 50% likely to not return next year. I think that situation is changing with the brutal team performance and increasingly vocal fan reaction.

Reactions: yvrtojfk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad