Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Trading Hutton is not a good option for the Canucks.

Why not? Hutton is probably the best realistic bargaining chip they have on defense.

While the Canucks are completely anemic on the left side of their D, they have some reasonable organisational depth on their left side. Edler is our Top 4 guy, and I still contend that Tryamkin will eventually return to us. Del Zotto as a stop gap, Pouliot as a 3rd pairing guy, and some players like Brisebois in the farm.

On the right side, after an oft-injured Tanev, we have almost nothing. Gudbranson is a 3rd pairing guy and is likely on his way out. Stecher is barely a 3rd pairing guy as well, while Biega is a 7th defenseman.

If the Canucks could move Hutton for a Top 4 RHD (or a young RHD that has a reasonable shot at being a Top 4 guy), then I think it would be a shrewd move. However - Hutton himself is a 3rd pairing calibre d-man and so it might be difficult to acquire said RHD piece.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Why not? Hutton is probably the best realistic bargaining chip they have on defense.

While the Canucks are completely anemic on the left side of their D, they have some reasonable organisational depth on their left side. Edler is our Top 4 guy, and I still contend that Tryamkin will eventually return to us. Del Zotto as a stop gap, Pouliot as a 3rd pairing guy, and some players like Brisebois in the farm.

On the right side, after an oft-injured Tanev, we have almost nothing. Gudbranson is a 3rd pairing guy and is likely on his way out. Stecher is barely a 3rd pairing guy as well, while Biega is a 7th defenseman.

If the Canucks could move Hutton for a Top 4 RHD (or a young RHD that has a reasonable shot at being a Top 4 guy), then I think it would be a shrewd move. However - Hutton himself is a 3rd pairing calibre d-man and so it might be difficult to acquire said RHD piece.
Why do you care about handedness so much?

Hutton is one of the few defensemen in our organization that can skate and move the puck.

Pouliot, and Del Zotto are trash, so it doesn’t matter if we have them on the team.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Hutton is one of the few defensemen in our organization that can skate and move the puck.

Pouliot, and Del Zotto are trash, so it doesn’t matter if we have them on the team.

It’s not so much about “handedness”, but we are severely short on defensemen that play predominantly on the right side. Outside of Tanev, we literally have no one on that side. Guds will be gone, and Stecher/Biega are......what they are.

Even a guy like Hutton......he’s not top 4 material on a good team. The one thing Hutton has going for him however is his young age and his ability to move the puck. He’s a good bargaining chip.

It’s far easier to draft/acquire a LHD than a RHD.

member 290103

I'd agree here. The Canucks need more players like Hutton - young players with some degree of upside. Not less.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'd agree here. The Canucks need more players like Hutton - young players with some degree of upside. Not less.

From my view, we'll have Edler for a few more seasons, and I also believe that Tryamkin will return. Furthermore, I think Juolevi will be a 2nd pairing defenseman at minimum. Bottom line? I think it's quite likely that we'll have enough long term depth on LHD. Guys like Brisebois, Pouliot, etc., can be 3rd pairing guys. Bottom line? Hutton might be extraneous here.

It's on the right side where this team needs some serious help. Guds is likely to be gone, Tanev is injury prone and might be gone in two years, while Stecher and Biega are barely 3rd pairing calibre defensemen.

Hutton has upside? Wonderful. Acquire a Hutton-equivalent on the right side.

member 290103

From my view, we'll have Edler for a few more seasons, and I also believe that Tryamkin will return. Furthermore, I think Juolevi will be a 2nd pairing defenseman at minimum. Bottom line? I think it's quite likely that we'll have enough long term depth on LHD. Guys like Brisebois, Pouliot, etc., can be 3rd pairing guys. Bottom line? Hutton might be extraneous here.

It's on the right side where this team needs some serious help. Guds is likely to be gone, Tanev is injury prone and might be gone in two years, while Stecher and Biega are barely 3rd pairing calibre defensemen.

Disagree Stecher is in the same calibre as Biega, but the rest of your post actually makes some sense. Now if we can just stop with the proposals to move our lottery pick.....:)

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver

So if Tryamkin doesn't come back the left side of the defence looks like this in two years:

Juolevi
Pouliot
Brisebois

Thats f***ing brutal

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So if Tryamkin doesn't come back the left side of the defence looks like this in two years:

Juolevi
Pouliot
Brisebois

Thats ****ing brutal

Agreed but I’m pretty certain that Tree will return to us if the rumors are correct.

In any case he doesn’t, there are far more LHD’s out there than right-sided ones.

Also - to your point, who knows? Maybe Brisebois becomes a low end top 4 guy at some point. At least we have prospects and possibilities on that side.

We have absolute jack shit on the right side.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
What rumours?
Not really rumors, speculation by Botchford.

The idea that we don't have to address the left side of the defense because Brisebois might become a top 4 guy and Tryamkin might come back (btw, Tryamkin prefers playing the right side) is laughable. I don't think most fans have any idea how much more talent the team needs to seriously contend.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Btw, one move I think the Canucks should make this summer is extending a ~$4M offer sheet to Darnell Nurse (2nd round compensation). Nurse turns 23 in Feb, brings a physical dimension this blueline lacks (assuming we dump Gudbranson) but is also a good skater and decent puck-mover, and even if Edmonton matches it cap screws them further and stops them from addressing their needs on the wing.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I dont mind trading Hutton. I dont think he is anything more than a 4 or 5 Dman on a team.

What i do mind is trading him now when his value is at his lowest having coming off a few healthy scratches.

People need to realize that these players are assets. Sell high buy low. Not the other way around. You wouldnt sell your house when the market sucks would you ? Not unless youre desperate. You sell when the market is booming and you get above asking price

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
When people bring up the "herp derp we need toughness" just direct them to Tampa Bay's top 9:

Namestnikov-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Gourde-Conacher

Yeah, that Tyler Johnson is sure a goon eh? Tampa's leader in PIMs is Victor Hedman with 32. Tampa's biggest forward is 6'1 198lbs.

Yeah but the west.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
When people bring up the "herp derp we need toughness" just direct them to Tampa Bay's top 9:

Namestnikov-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Gourde-Conacher

Yeah, that Tyler Johnson is sure a goon eh? Tampa's leader in PIMs is Victor Hedman with 32. Tampa's biggest forward is 6'1 198lbs.

Forwards (wingers more specifically) in the NHL now need to get into the corners quickly, and retrieve the puck.

None of the Canucks wingers do this consistently enough. This is what Burrows and Hansen did very well. Virtanen when he's on his game does it well, as does Baertschi.

I'd say that this was a big reason they liked Lind and Gadjovich so much. As well as Palmu. They are all strong on their skates and sticks and can get into the corners and come out with the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->