Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Would y’all do:

Gudbranson for Martin + SJ 1st
Yeah, though I would like to get a bit more considering I'd want a 1st to take Martin off San Jose's hands and then an additional pick/prospect for the return Gudbranson would likely return on his own.

However, there's a very real possibility we're on Martin's 6 team no-trade list, and San Jose isn't hurting for cap space so I doubt they'd give up such a high pick to dump his contract. Also, San Jose is already lacking a 2nd and 3rd this year so I doubt they'd move their 1st this year, but I would be fine with a 2019 1st.

Last edited:

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
This probably won't be very popular but I'm wondering whether Gaudette's trade value might be at a peak now. He leads the NCAA in scoring. Aston-Reese, who arguably was a higher end offensive forward in the NCAA, isn't exactly tearing it up in the AHL as a 23 year old.
Gaudette is projected as a third line centre in the NHL. Gaudette, as part of a package with Gudbranson, could get a prospect/draft pick with higher upside.

Typically I think you want to look at play style rather than scoring. You can apply this to practically any league at any point in time.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that ZAR was more of a grinding opportunistic scorer who relied more on hard work and putting himself in dirty areas, like a Burrows/Hansen type.

Gaudette seems to be a more skilled scorer.

Remains to be seen which player can better transfer their talents/style to pro, but I’d consider the “skill” guy the higher end offensive player, even if that doesn’t make him the more effective player overall.

Somebody who’s seen more of ZAR could correct me if I’m wrong on his play...
Typically I think you want to look at play style rather than scoring. You can apply this to practically any league at any point in time.
With Aston-Reese I was thinking more about what he did in the NCAA compared to Gaudette rather than what he might become in the NHL.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
To DAL:

Gudbranson

To VAN:

Spezza
1st Round Pick 2018 (top-10 protected)
Cond. 4th Round Pick 2018 (pick becomes a 3rd if Gudbranson re-signs)

Assuming we're not on Spezza's list, would you do it?

Reactions: Canadian Club

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Boeser has played well with Vanek and Gagner. When Bo is back I'd like to see them try these lines.

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund

Gagner and Horvat can swap if need need be. As can Granlund and Eriksson.

member 290103

To DAL:

Gudbranson

To VAN:

Spezza

For sure. This is what the Canucks should be looking to try and do.....use cap space to house garbage contract from other teams in exchange for young assets.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
To Dallas: Hank and Dan

To Canucks: Spezza, Hanzal, 1st, and a good prospect.

Something along these lines. Cap wise, I think it’s fairly even for both teams and both teams can absorb the entirety of the contracts (although I haven’t looked at the numbers.....if not, Dallas can add another middling player that will be a UFA at season’s end).

Hank and Dan get one last playoff opportunity on a dark horse team, while the Canucks get a pick and a prospect, along with two pending UFA’s that can leave at season’s end.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
To Dallas: Hank and Dan

To Canucks: Spezza, Hanzal, 1st, and a good prospect.

Something along these lines. Cap wise, I think it’s fairly even for both teams and both teams can absorb the entirety of the contracts (although I haven’t looked at the numbers.....if not, Dallas can add another middling player that will be a UFA at season’s end).

Hank and Dan get one last playoff opportunity on a dark horse team, while the Canucks get a pick and a prospect, along with two pending UFA’s that can leave at season’s end.
Spezza has 1 more year after this and Hanzal has 2 more.

Reactions: sunnyvale420

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
To DAL:

Gudbranson

To VAN:

Spezza

Only if we can dump Gagner or Sutter. I like the idea of this (always been a Spezza fan) but with the Sedins, Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Spezza and Gagner, guys like Virtanen and Goldobin might have trouble getting minutes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Per rumour, Jason Demers is back on the trade market. This kind of throws a wrench into trading Gudbranson. TOR and TBay should have interest in Demers... And he's already signed for another 3 years.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Only if we can dump Gagner or Sutter. I like the idea of this (always been a Spezza fan) but with the Sedins, Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Spezza and Gagner, guys like Virtanen and Goldobin might have trouble getting minutes.

We could probably adjust that deal to include Gagner. He would make the cap almost even and provide a replacement at forward.

Spezza is also a healthy scratch right now. That shows how much of an anchor his contract is (and justifies the value) and might make him more inclined to go somewhere where he can get playing time.

Change the deal to:

To DAL:

Gudbranson
Gagner

To VAN:

Spezza
1st Round Pick 2018
Cond. 3rd Round Pick 2018 (becomes a 2nd if Gudbranson re-signs).

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

I think it's safe to say that trade idea won't work.

Well if he's the kinda guy that doesn't like being where he's not wanted he could always waive those clauses.

... Just like your boy Garrisson. He could have just refused the trade to Tampa but didn't wan't to be where he wasn't wanted... his words.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
:laugh: The Canucks aren't getting Mike Hoffman for a bottom pairing defenseman.

The trick there is finding the handful of GM's, and I'm sure they're out there, that don't consider him just a bottom pairing defenseman.

You know the eastern bias we bitch about when it comes to Calder voting and such?... well maybe that same ignorance can work in our favour. His size, age and his draft position are still going tempt a desperate/blind or GM or two.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
What about Spezza for Eriksson? Eriksson is probably the more "useful" player but has the longer contract.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Per rumour, Jason Demers is back on the trade market. This kind of throws a wrench into trading Gudbranson. TOR and TBay should have interest in Demers... And he's already signed for another 3 years.

Depends on what kind of defenseman they want. I know that'll sound crazy to many people here but if you look at the fact that big bodied physical dman are always in demand, Gudbranson could still be more appealing to some teams.

In Toronto, Babcock loves Polak. Gudbranson is a better player than Polak.

Tampa doesn't necessarily need a puck mover, their current core is good enough to get the puck to their forwards and let them work their magic. Yzerman had made moves in the past for big physical dmen at the the deadline (Braydon Coburn).

Even if they are looking for more of a puck mover, maybe Del Zotto or Hutton become good trade options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad