Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Nobody is trading players of that quality for glass tanev. And def not point level young stars.

I totally disagree that you can't get a high end prospect for Tanev. Hamonic is an inferior player in every respect except offensive output (where he and Tanev are equal). Hamonic is also injury prone. Hamonic was a big time minus player last year on a better team playing the same kind of minutes. Hamonic garnered a 1st and 2 2nds at the draft, not the deadline. Adding Tanev is the single best realistic thing that Toronto can do to increase their cup chances in the next two years. Full stop. Easily worth Liljegren +

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The Moj today said he knows six scouts that are all 'meh' on Tanev. Yeah right. What a buffoon. Said one of them does not think Tanev is in the top 4 on a contending team. Holy Christ. What an ass clown. Get him off the radio, he understands nothing about hockey. Maybe find him a CFL show to host way down the dial or on some random Sirius station from Uzbekistan. Tanev is top 4 on pretty much every contending team except St Louis.

Toronto? yep. Tampa? yep. LA? Yep. Washington? Yep. Columbus? Yep. New Jersey (he'd be their number 1), Boston? For now, yep. Rangers? Yep. Pittsburgh? Yep. Winnipeg? Still yes. Nashville? Yep, I put him ahead of Ellis. Vegas? Yep. Calgary? Yep. Dallas? yep.

The Moj is a moron.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Moj is the most insufferable media personality currently working on any type of Canucks radio. More than Hirsch. Moj has had years to learn the game and knows less now than he did when he started. He's learned in the wrong direction -- and now there is no stopping him.

He's just bad for hockey radio, IMO.

Last edited:

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Getting sick and tired of these lines. Keep Jake with the Sedins. That's when he plays his best hockey and that line is actually good.

Canucks need to either waive Chaput/Gaunce or make a move with Gudbranson before the next game. Sutter is ready to come back.

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen
Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Baertschi-Dowd-Goldobin
Eriksson-Sutter-Granlund
Gaunce/Chaput

Edler-Pouliot
DelZotto-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Biega

Trade Gudbranson for what we can get, he has value. Just don't know what that value is.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I totally disagree that you can't get a high end prospect for Tanev. Hamonic is an inferior player in every respect except offensive output (where he and Tanev are equal). Hamonic is also injury prone. Hamonic was a big time minus player last year on a better team playing the same kind of minutes. Hamonic garnered a 1st and 2 2nds at the draft, not the deadline. Adding Tanev is the single best realistic thing that Toronto can do to increase their cup chances in the next two years. Full stop. Easily worth Liljegren +
Tyler Seguin and filip forsberg got traded for trash too. Its better to rely on the rule not the exception.

Yeah anything's possible. But Its not likely.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
The Moj today said he knows six scouts that are all 'meh' on Tanev. Yeah right. What a buffoon. Said one of them does not think Tanev is in the top 4 on a contending team. Holy Christ. What an ass clown. Get him off the radio, he understands nothing about hockey. Maybe find him a CFL show to host way down the dial or on some random Sirius station from Uzbekistan. Tanev is top 4 on pretty much every contending team except St Louis.

Toronto? yep. Tampa? yep. LA? Yep. Washington? Yep. Columbus? Yep. New Jersey (he'd be their number 1), Boston? For now, yep. Rangers? Yep. Pittsburgh? Yep. Winnipeg? Still yes. Nashville? Yep, I put him ahead of Ellis. Vegas? Yep. Calgary? Yep. Dallas? yep.

The Moj is a moron.

He's a moron for repeating what a scout told him? Or are you saying he's lying and it's really he himself that thinks Tanev isn't a top four on a contender?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
The problem with Tanev is the games missed and I think if the argument was, 'we can't bank on this guy being more than a second pairing guy because he misses too many games' then fair enough. Tanev only gives you 75% of a season.

If those scouts are sitting there going Chris Tanev's day to day is a 4 on an average team then I highly question those scouts ability.

Tanev is an anchor for any pairing out there with the ability to step up and cover the 1st pairing long term. Ideally he is a 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
He's a moron for repeating what a scout told him? Or are you saying he's lying and it's really he himself that thinks Tanev isn't a top four on a contender?

I think his unnamed 'scouts' are mythical. It was a somewhat amusing segment. Kuzma totally refuted his scouts by stating his own unnamed scouts view Tanev as the complete opposite. Basically Moj is full of it.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think his unnamed 'scouts' are mythical. It was a somewhat amusing segment. Kuzma totally refuted his scouts by stating his own unnamed scouts view Tanev as the complete opposite. Basically Moj is full of it.

Probably a Canuck scout who brought in strong top 4 canidates like Sbisa er Gudbranson, er Pouliot, er Bartowski? Holm? Puck it, I give up.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Trading Tanev would be one of the worst things that the Canucks could do right now, given our severe lack of depth on the right side.

So let’s say we do what most media and guys on here want to do.

-Trade Tanev for a prospect
-Move Gudbranson for a pick

End result?

Stecher is our #1 right handed D. Yayayayayayay!
Biega is our #2 right handed D. Yayayayayayayay!
Adrien Plavsic who graciously comes out of retirement, would be our #3 right handed defenseman. Yayayayayayay!

Problem much? Yes.

Not only do I suggest that we keep Tanev, but I also suggest that we trade Hutton (our best realistic bargaining chip) for a right handed D.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Woah buddy I did not mean to bring the Flames into this at all, I just commented on what I think Tanev could fetch. If you want to bring in the Flames, my opinion may be because the only times I watch Tanev are against the Flames, where our forwards can skate circles around him :D
So you watch a player play 5 times a year and you think you can gauge his value?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I think that the best time to trade Tanev would be at the draft as he wont be injured and his value is higher.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I think that the best time to trade Tanev would be at the draft as he wont be injured and his value is higher.

If he was carrying a huge contract the draft would be a better time for sure. Also it expands the list of teams that might be inclined to deal (Buffalo for example). It also removes uncertainty about what pick(s) is getting moved. That said, injuries in-season and teams going for it has typically resulted in better returns at the deadline. I think we should trade him whenever we get an amazing offer.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah anything's possible. But Its not likely.

Getting a Forsberg for a Erat is a huge lottery win, but a Seguin deal or two or three (though not always that high quality of a player) happens every year. While you can't predict any specific player that may pop up you can certainly position yourself to be the beneficiary of such a trade as they usualy only require two key ingredients: cap space and tradeable assets.

So while you can't predict it realistically any team in the tank can position themselves to be the beneficiary of such a trade. And this has always been one of my long standing criticisms of Benning, it's a less obvious one but as we are constantly pushed up against the cap and bleeding assets in most deals we've never been in a good position to take advantage of one of these deals.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

The only good time to trade Tanev is when if/when you find a team desperate enough that they'll give you a big package for him. Like Colorado/Ottawa with Duchene. Otherwise since we're already a bottom 5 team with Tanev there's more value in just keeping him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
When Sutter comes back surely they don't pull Gaunce out of the lineup as he has the hot hands right now.

Also I'm sure the only insider connections Moj has is thru somehow having a personal relationship with Lucic and his family.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If what's been reported is true, Arizona shopping Hjalmarsson (and potentially OEL) that certainly takes some of the shine off Gudbranson.

But maybe someone will get desperate and whoever is the runner up for either of Arizona's d men will panic and acquire Gudbranson.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If what's been reported is true, Arizona shopping Hjalmarsson (and potentially OEL) that certainly takes some of the shine off Gudbranson.

But maybe someone will get desperate and whoever is the runner up for either of Arizona's d men will panic and acquire Gudbranson.
I'm not too worried about it. Hjalmarsson is going to have a moderately higher price tag and is signed beyond this season. Every team wants to upgrade their defense, some may not want to pay a high price and others may want to acquire an expiring contract to give them more options in the off-season. Jack Johnson is someone who is more likely to take attention away from Gudbranson.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm not too worried about it. Hjalmarsson is going to have a moderately higher price tag and is signed beyond this season. Every team wants to upgrade their defense, some may not want to pay a high price and others may want to acquire an expiring contract to give them more options in the off-season. Jack Johnson is someone who is more likely to take attention away from Gudbranson.

True about Johnson (both meh players, both UFAs). The only way OEL/Hjalmarsson hurt is tying up the market while the dominoes fall, or if some team thinks it is worth paying the huge premium the upgrade over RealGud. OEL would be wanted for the 1st pairing and long term. Hjalmarsson for the 2nd. Most team teams who want RealGud will want him for the 3rd pairing and rental. Different markets.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

[MOD]

A couple losers like Hjalmarsson and OEL playing for a last place team have nothing on a (relative) winner like Gudbranson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dim jim

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Chicago's ability to pick up Kempny and Rutta from overseas is impressive. Especially Rutta. A right shot OFD that can skate. Good stick on defense. They've found a player.

It really highlights the difference in pro scouting. Benning gets Larsen and he's back in the KHL quick because it's obvious he's not very useful. Meanwhile, Rutta and Kempny may both have futures in the NHL. And Rutta would have filled a major need here.

The next regime has to try and get defense from Europe/Russia. There's no acquisition cost and a bottom pair/fringe mid pair solutions can be had.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This probably won't be very popular but I'm wondering whether Gaudette's trade value might be at a peak now. He leads the NCAA in scoring. Aston-Reese, who arguably was a higher end offensive forward in the NCAA, isn't exactly tearing it up in the AHL as a 23 year old.
Gaudette is projected as a third line centre in the NHL. Gaudette, as part of a package with Gudbranson, could get a prospect/draft pick with higher upside.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
This probably won't be very popular but I'm wondering whether Gaudette's trade value might be at a peak now. He leads the NCAA in scoring. Aston-Reese, who arguably was a higher end offensive forward in the NCAA, isn't exactly tearing it up in the AHL as a 23 year old.
Gaudette is projected as a third line centre in the NHL. Gaudette, as part of a package with Gudbranson, could get a prospect/draft pick with higher upside.

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that ZAR was more of a grinding opportunistic scorer who relied more on hard work and putting himself in dirty areas, like a Burrows/Hansen type.

Gaudette seems to be a more skilled scorer.

Remains to be seen which player can better transfer their talents/style to pro, but I’d consider the “skill” guy the higher end offensive player, even if that doesn’t make him the more effective player overall.

Somebody who’s seen more of ZAR could correct me if I’m wrong on his play...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->