Line Combos: Roster 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Like it, why not?!

He's got a very good chance of playing with Drouin and Armia. If that happens why not? I think by the time 2020-21 starts he'll have had time to get stronger, improve his skills, work on his mind. The biggest thing is his confidence - is he going to show up full of confidence? If he does I can see him having a very good year.

Well, in that scenario, probably because Drouin's generally been a fairly awful ES player throughout his career and Armia isn't going to elevate Kotkaniemi's game.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Well, in that scenario, probably because Drouin's generally been a fairly awful ES player throughout his career and Armia isn't going to elevate Kotkaniemi's game.

Yeah that’s possible. But I saw and heard a lot of good things from Drouin that make me believe he’s going to be more about going and getting the puck, as opposed to waiting for it.

Armia I think continues to improve and assert himself. I see him continuing on this trajectory.

You can always look at a line combo and come up with reasons why it won’t work. If the players perform as the worst versions of themselves, yes, the line won’t be good. But if the players generally play to their abilities, and have complimentary skills I think they can. I think that line could be a very good one.

The Habs are built around a quick attack that gets on you and stays on you. The offense has to come from the 3 top lines because there are no stars. I see the top 9 like this:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Suzuki - Kovalchuk
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia

I think that could be a very good top 9. You’ve also got Byron and Lehkonen as depth.

Reactions: Holystik and dralaf

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The Habs are built around a quick attack that gets on you and stays on you. The offense has to come from the 3 top lines because there are no stars. I see the top 9 like this:

I think that could be a very good top 9. You’ve also got Byron and Lehkonen as depth.

that team is disgustingly soft, small and very inconsistent. Only a corporation would pay money for season tickets to watch that lineup of gooftroops, busts and other teams castaways.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Yeah that’s possible. But I saw and heard a lot of good things from Drouin that make me believe he’s going to be more about going and getting the puck, as opposed to waiting for it.

Armia I think continues to improve and assert himself. I see him continuing on this trajectory.

You can always look at a line combo and come up with reasons why it won’t work. If the players perform as the worst versions of themselves, yes, the line won’t be good. But if the players generally play to their abilities, and have complimentary skills I think they can. I think that line could be a very good one.

top 9 next year if Hall signs here

Hall - Suzuki - Armia
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Drouin

top 6 once Kotka and Suzuki develop more

Hall - Suzuki - Gallagher

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario

Hall - Suzuki - Armia

I don’t know how we afford Hall + Domi, but I like this energy. My first step is grabbing Hall and going from there so I agree.

And I mean “afford Hall” in the sense of: you still need to get another LD, decent/good backup, resign Kovalchuk (presumably) and then resign Evans and Domi. I think we have about $19M or so to work with.

My take would be drop Armia to 3rd RW and Sign Kovalchuk to replace on the 2nd. Drouin to 3rd LW and trade Domi for a LD in a package with Mete. Caufield enters next year and replaces Kovy in the top 6

Reactions: Benstheman

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005

Hall - Suzuki - Armia

Yes I really like what Hall could do to our top 9. I love the speed and skill but Hall has high end finishing ability and we don’t have a lot of that

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
It's basically 2 good second lines, and very good third-line (if they can achieve close to their potential). The fourth line should be good too, with Byron and Lehkonen with either Evans or Poehling.

Yes until guys like KK, Suzuki, Caufield develop into stars this team will feel like a bunch of 2nd lines. I think we’ll get there eventually but the next 2 yrs or so will feel like this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes I really like what Hall could do to our top 9. I love the speed and skill but Hall has high end finishing ability and we don’t have a lot of that

If you sign Hall, you are forcing a decision on Domi, Tatar, Gallagher, Petry, Danault. If the cap grows significantly, then we might be able to make it work by unloading Byron and/or Lehkonen.

1) Sign Hall. 7 years at $7.5M

2) Trade our 8th OA for Brodin with an extension. I'd even engage in seeing if they want to add Poehling/Alzner to the mix. Wild would be rebuilding and Alzner's cap hit helps them reach the cap floor for two years while his salary is lower. Poehling and 8th OA would be attractive to them I would imagine. If we have to add a late 2nd to make the deal work, do it.

3) Sign Kovalchuk to reunite him with Suzuki. Flat cap and $2M should do it IMO. Problem could be bonus structured in.

4) I'd certainly call Crawford to see if he wants to join us for one year at a $1.25M contract. Can't go any higher than that. If he says no, you go with back-up options in Lindgren, Demchenko, Primeau

5) Keeps Kotkaniemi hungry to improve and produce and he starts in the AHL.

Tight but it fits. I'd be down with this roster for next year. Where are the holes? Back-up goalie? Domi and Suzuki ready to compete as more mature centers?

KMxCym8.jpg

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don’t know how we afford Hall + Domi, but I like this energy. My first step is grabbing Hall and going from there so I agree.

And I mean “afford Hall” in the sense of: you still need to get another LD, decent/good backup, resign Kovalchuk (presumably) and then resign Evans and Domi. I think we have about $19M or so to work with.

My take would be drop Armia to 3rd RW and Sign Kovalchuk to replace on the 2nd. Drouin to 3rd LW and trade Domi for a LD in a package with Mete. Caufield enters next year and replaces Kovy in the top 6

We can't afford Hall and domi. Let alone if we go for a top 4 lhd, which we should. I agree with your take on using Domi for a lhd. Or maybe Drouin + Mete +?? for a lhd. I also don't think we could afford to resign both Gallagher and Armia as our future middle 6 RWs. I mean Gally could go as far as 7M$ per and Armia will probably ask and get 4M$ per. I think it is too much but it will all depend on the youngish players development.

I agree on Kovy but not if he is asking for 3M$ +.

Pesonally, i think next season will still be tough but 2021-2022 will be the start of a talented, young and well balanced team. Our new core will be starting is tenure and Price, Weber, and Petry will be there to do their thing for another 2-3 years. Look at my tentative lineup for 2021-2022 season :

Tatar(6,5M)-Suzuki(0,9M)-Gallagher(6,5M)
Drouin(5,5M)-Danault(5,5M)-Caufield(0,9M)
2020 8OA(0,9)-Kotkaniemi(2,5M)-Armia(4M)
Lehkonen(3M)-Poehling(1,2M)-Byron(3,4M)
Evans(1M)

Brodin (traded for Domi)(7M)-Weber(7,9M)
Romanov(0,9)-Petry(6,5M)
Chiarot(3,5M)-Norlinder(0,9M)
Mete(1,2M)-Juulsen/Fleury(1M)

Price(10,5M)
Primeau(0,9M)

Total : 82,1 M$ Might be ok cap wise, might be a little too much. I think in that case, one of Byron or Lehkonen is the odd man out and replaced by a younger player on his elc.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We can't afford Hall and domi. Let alone if we go for a top 4 lhd, which we should. I agree with your take on using Domi for a lhd. Or maybe Drouin + Mete +?? for a lhd. I also don't think we could afford to resign both Gallagher and Armia as our future middle 6 RWs. I mean Gally could go as far as 7M$ per and Armia will probably ask and get 4M$ per. I think it is too much but it will all depend on the youngish players development.

I agree on Kovy but not if he is asking for 3M$ +.

Pesonally, i think next season will still be tough but 2021-2022 will be the start of a talented, young and well balanced team. Our new core will be starting is tenure and Price, Weber, and Petry will be there to do their thing for another 2-3 years. Look at my tentative lineup for 2021-2022 season :

Tatar(6,5M)-Suzuki(0,9M)-Gallagher(6,5M)
Drouin(5,5M)-Danault(5,5M)-Caufield(0,9M)
2020 8OA(0,9)-Kotkaniemi(2,5M)-Armia(4M)
Lehkonen(3M)-Poehling(1,2M)-Byron(3,4M)
Evans(1M)

Brodin (traded for Domi)(7M)-Weber(7,9M)
Romanov(0,9)-Petry(6,5M)
Chiarot(3,5M)-Norlinder(0,9M)
Mete(1,2M)-Juulsen/Fleury(1M)

Price(10,5M)
Primeau(0,9M)

Total : 82,1 M$ Might be ok cap wise, might be a little too much. I think in that case, one of Byron or Lehkonen is the odd man out and replaced by a younger player on his elc.

Cap was expected to grow to $84M - $88M range before Covid-19 came. I expect the cap to grow substantially after next year if Covid-19 don't affect next season. New US TV deal and Seattle revenue coming as well.

Signing Hall would be risky yes but it's also risky to stay conservative for too long. I think the cap will be around $86M for the 21/22 season. 20/21 season starting early late 20 or early 21 with fans in the seats. Fans will come out in the sport entertainment business will boom.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If you sign Hall, you are forcing a decision on Domi, Tatar, Gallagher, Petry, Danault. If the cap grows significantly, then we might be able to make it work by unloading Byron and/or Lehkonen.

1) Sign Hall. 7 years at $7.5M

Why would Hall take only $7.5 million to come to Montreal? I’m sure he’ll be offered more by other teams. He’s only played in one playoffs, I’m sure he’ll want to go to a team that shows it can make the playoffs or someone who really overpays.

Panarin last year signed for 7 years at $81.5 million and Duchene signed for 7 years at $56 million.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would Hall take only $7.5 million to come to Montreal? I’m sure he’ll be offered more by other teams. He’s only played in one playoffs, I’m sure he’ll want to go to a team that shows it can make the playoffs or someone who really overpays.

Panarin last year signed for 7 years at $81.5 million and Duchene signed for 7 years at $56 million.

On the low end yes. But you seem to present that this off season is a normal one with growth in salary cap? Not many teams have cap space and it's the worse time to be a top UFA. I'm sure he gets paid but his options are limited more than prior off seasons like Panarin and Duchene.

Does Hall get more than $8M with a flat cap growth? That's a good question IMO

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
On the low end yes. But you seem to present that this off season is a normal one with growth in salary cap? Not many teams have cap space and it's the worse time to be a top UFA. I'm sure he gets paid but his options are limited more than prior off seasons like Panarin and Duchene.

Does Hall get more than $8M with a flat cap growth? That's a good question IMO

This is why I think the Habs have a decent shot at actually getting him, but not at $7.5M. I think they can get him at $9-10M x 7 if the market is soft for him. I think there are things that would be attractive about playing in Montreal to Hall, namely the history. He's big on history and tradition. But there are a lot of reasons why I don't think we'd be high on his list - not being a very good team right now, high taxes, crazy media, no proven star centres, etc. If he's only going to get $7.5-8M he's more likely to sign in a place like Colorado where he can be on a young team that's already on the rise, and play with a superstar centre like MacKinnon.

But if the Habs are there at $9.5m x 7 and everyone else is closer to $8M...I think we've got a shot. It would be a bit of an overpayment but if Jeff Skinner got $9m I think Hall gets at least that from somebody.

I won't be upset if/when they don't sign him, but Hall would add a ton to this team. He's a legit superstar forward, a game breaker in his prime. He has the high end finishing ability this team lacks, yet he plays the style we already play. There aren't any forwards other teams fear right now, Hall would be that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is why I think the Habs have a decent shot at actually getting him, but not at $7.5M. I think they can get him at $9-10M x 7 if the market is soft for him. I think there are things that would be attractive about playing in Montreal to Hall, namely the history. He's big on history and tradition. But there are a lot of reasons why I don't think we'd be high on his list - not being a very good team right now, high taxes, crazy media, no proven star centres, etc. If he's only going to get $7.5-8M he's more likely to sign in a place like Colorado where he can be on a young team that's already on the rise, and play with a superstar centre like MacKinnon.

But if the Habs are there at $9.5m x 7 and everyone else is closer to $8M...I think we've got a shot. It would be a bit of an overpayment but if Jeff Skinner got $9m I think Hall gets at least that from somebody.

I won't be upset if/when they don't sign him, but Hall would add a ton to this team. He's a legit superstar forward, a game breaker in his prime. He has the high end finishing ability this team lacks, yet he plays the style we already play. There aren't any forwards other teams fear right now, Hall would be that.

I doubt Hall gets $9M - $10M range. I realize we would have to overpay due to taxes but no way I go higher than $8M or $8.5M for Hall. Career 0.9 pts/game with one very good year at 93 pts.

Best LW in the game over the last 300 games (+/-)
Marchand
Panarin
Ovechkin
Gaudreau
Huberdeau
Hoffman
Teravainen
M Tkachuk
Hall
Forsberg
Ehlers
Perron
Landeskog
Patch

Panarin in a normal off season with no Covid-19 complications to the cap growth got $11.6M. Panarin is at about 1.06 pts/game. (0.9/1.06) x $11.6M = $9.85M. Then factor in Covid-19 and a flat gap growth. I say he falls around $8M. $7.5M seems low yes but we can offer July signing bonus money like the Rangers did with Panarin. I would go as high as $8M and maybe $8.5M. Once he says $9M, I pass. $7.5M - $8.5M is what I would offer and my message would be we need cap space to retain talent around him.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Cap was expected to grow to $84M - $88M range before Covid-19 came. I expect the cap to grow substantially after next year if Covid-19 don't affect next season. New US TV deal and Seattle revenue coming as well.

Signing Hall would be risky yes but it's also risky to stay conservative for too long. I think the cap will be around $86M for the 21/22 season. 20/21 season starting early late 20 or early 21 with fans in the seats. Fans will come out in the sport entertainment business will boom.
Seattle revenues will impact the 2022 salary cap, not 2021.
Also the US TV Deal is up until 2022, so the impact will be for the 2023 salary cap. Hockey's Big Pay Day Is Coming

Also unless something major change I expect some games next season will be played without fans. Also I expect some sponsorship to drop off to due to the crisis.

Overall I expect a flat cap for next year and 2021 and a significant increase in 2022 and 2023

Last edited:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I doubt Hall gets $9M - $10M range. I realize we would have to overpay due to taxes but no way I go higher than $8M or $8.5M for Hall. Career 0.9 pts/game with one very good year at 93 pts.

Best LW in the game over the last 300 games (+/-)
Marchand
Panarin
Ovechkin
Gaudreau
Huberdeau
Hoffman
Teravainen
M Tkachuk
Hall
Forsberg
Ehlers
Perron
Landeskog
Patch

Panarin in a normal off season with no Covid-19 complications to the cap growth got $11.6M. Panarin is at about 1.06 pts/game. (0.9/1.06) x $11.6M = $9.85M. Then factor in Covid-19 and a flat gap growth. I say he falls around $8M. $7.5M seems low yes but we can offer July signing bonus money like the Rangers did with Panarin. I would go as high as $8M and maybe $8.5M. Once he says $9M, I pass. $7.5M - $8.5M is what I would offer and my message would be we need cap space to retain talent around him.

I get what you're saying - without Covid, Hall's value is probably $9-10M but considering the cap, his value is probably more like $8M.

The problem is I think there are a lot of teams that could offer $7.5-8.5M AAV that would be a more likely choice for Hall. Lots of teams can make space for Hall at $7.5M. Hell, Tampa could probably find a way to do it.

So if he signs at $7.5-8.5M I think it won't be with the Habs. It'll be with a contender or a team he really wants to go to.

Without Covid and the flat cap I don't think the Habs have any shot at him at all. But with it, I think they have a slight shot if they offer his pre-flat cap value of $9-10M x 7 years.

Like I said, I won't be upset if they don't get him at that price, but I won't be mad at them for overspending by $1.5M to get a guy they would never have gotten. He is a star, he's not Mike Hoffman or David Perron, he's a former 1st OA pick 1 season removed from an MVP.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seattle revenues will impact the 2022 salary cap, not 2021.

Also unless something major change I expect some games next season will be played without fans. Also I expect some sponsorship to drop off to due to the crisis.

Overall I expect a flat cap for next year and 2021.

Yes, Seattle revenues will help the 22/23 salary cap season. But the new TV deal will be in place before the 21/22 season I believe. Plus, before Covid-19, the cap was projected to be $84M - $88M range. I can can certainly see a $86M possibility for the 21/22 season

We agree for next season but not the season after. If there are no fans in the seats for next season, you should estimate lower than $81.5M salary cap bud. I repeat, there are bigger problems if the next season is played without fans. I don't think that is part of their plans and I do think they will delay things as much as they can

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
We agree for next season but not the season after. If there are no fans in the seats for next season, you should estimate lower than $81.5M salary cap bud. I repeat, there are bigger problems if the next season is played without fans. I don't think that is part of their plans and I do think they will delay things as much as they can
I think the cap will not go lower for 2 reasons, 1 - salary committed by NHL teams and 2- NHLPA clause that stipulate that they can increase for 2% but with higher escrow payment. Overall I think both the NHL and NHLPA are better to keep a flat salary cap over a decreasing cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the cap will not go lower for 2 reasons, 1 - salary committed by NHL teams and 2- NHLPA clause that stipulate that they can increase for 2% but with higher escrow payment. Overall I think both the NHL and NHLPA are better to keep a flat salary cap over a decreasing cap.

Nope, there are either fans in the seats for next season or not. If there are no fans, you are under estimating the consequences by saying it will be a flat cap for 21/22 as well. You should estimate lower than that! However, I don't see it going down like that. They will delay as much as they can and the plan is to have fans in the seats for next season. You open the flood gates and people come out and spend money! The golf course I am playing at is booked solid cause people are just waiting for any sort of entertainment to do.

Next season is the tricky one but I do believe the NHL and NHLPA will agree to a large escrow as insurance and a way to balance the 50/50 revenue split. I don't see this going beyond next season and once fans are allowed in the seats again, they will come out in full support cause they have been trapped in their homes for months!

Took about 3 or 4 months to reach the peek of Covid-19 numbers in North America. Another 3 or 4 months and things will be looking much better. Unless you believe in a "2nd waive". The NHL/NHLPA possibly delaying things till September for the Playoffs and Jan for the next season makes sense to me.

$86M for a 21/22 salary cap. Write it down and we can talk about that once we know. I won't be offended if I'm wrong

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Absolutely agree with the bolded part. Might not be able to get Hall for less than 10M if the team is called the Montreal Canadiens, just with the high taxes.

I honestly think that Colorado, with he Cap room, will likely make the push for Hall and it makes entire sense for Hall to go there for a chance at the Cup. With a young up and coming D, the Mile high team is sitting pretty to challenge for the Cup.

I'd also love Hall to somehow return to Edmonton and watch him clamp everyone's mouth shut on a line with McDavid and Draisaitl on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig