Proposal: ROR Back to the Avs

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Sabres: Conor Timmins + 16th OA

Avs: ROR

The Sabres get one of the top defensive prospects in the league as well as a quality first round pick in a deep draft. Being an Avs fan, I'd hate to give up Timmins, as he's more of a lock to be a surefire top 4 defenseman than Makar, but the Avs already have EJ and Barrie on the right side, with Makar and Meloche still on the way, and so you have to give to get.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
If we are trading one of our star potential dmen, I'd Target some forward who's at the age of MacKinnon or younger.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Are you confusing Timmins with Makar?

While I don't think Timmins will be a superstar, he does have #1 dman potential. He was Team Canada's workhorse at the WJC and is great in all three zones. He really impressed at the Avs camp this fall and there was even talk of him making the opening night roster. Timmins is legit! He also currently leads all defensemen in playoff scoring.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I like the part where this is less than what the Avs got from Buffalo for him when he only had 1 year on his contract

well ya he is worth less now, i wouldnt even give up the package in the OP, avs do not need that headache again

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Buffalo’s not touching that, the bridge between ROR and the Avs is burned. No all around.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Pass. as others said love him as a player but I don't think some core players like how he handled it (EJ in particular) and the Avs shouldn't be doing these types of moves yet. Plus Buffalo is expecting more than that.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I would love to have ROR back on the ice for the Avs. But I am not sure I would want him in the locker room. Although, with Duchene gone, it might not be so bad. But I also don't want to give up that asking price, or pay his salary (this being the least of my concerns).

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Agree with many of the posts here, love him as a player, but terribly selfish individual. AVs are a young unselfish team. They don’t need another distraction and prefer they pursue bringing back Stastny. Only a few years older without the drama.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I dont think Colorado are taking him back after the contract wrangling. Not in a million years.

On another note, it still amazes to this day: For one season the Avs had MacKinnon, Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, and Stastny (the oldest at 29). At that time I never imagined they would have to do a significant retool and, and that 60% of those guys would be gone within 3 years.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I dont think Colorado are taking him back after the contract wrangling. Not in a million years.

On another note, it still amazes to this day: For one season the Avs had MacKinnon, Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, and Stastny (the oldest at 29). At that time I never imagined they would have to do a significant retool and, and that 60% of those guys would be gone within 3 years.

Looking back, it was obvious that the Avs needed to do something. If you include EJ, Barrie and Varly in that list, there were 8 NHL caliber players on the team, and no young talent coming. The talent pool had to be restocked, and the only assets the Avs had that could allow them to do that were their bigger name forwards. In the end, while I agree that it sucks that we had to move ROR and Duchene (and Stastny left as a UFA), the Avs are in a much better position for long term competitiveness now than they were 4 years ago. We're still probably a couple years away (and need some things to go right) from being a legit contender, but the future is much brighter than it has been since the salary cap was first implemented.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Jan 21, 2018
The Avs went all in on acquiring D, they are trying to following the Nashville model.

The team is much better now too because of this. I don't see them moving any of their young D like Makar, Timmins etc unless they are getting an established one back. Even then I'm sure they'd rather see what they have with the kids.

COL/BUF are not good trading partners even if you ignore the potentially burned bridge with ROR/Avs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I like the part where this is less than what the Avs got from Buffalo for him when he only had 1 year on his contract

I mean... He's certainly not worth MORE then he was 3 years ago.

3 Years ago he was 24 years old, signed for another year at a 5.5M cap hit and an RFA after that.

Now he's 3 years older, and and overpaid center making 7.5M. Still probably just as good of a player as he was 3 years ago, but the contractual situations and him being 3 years older definitely has decreased his value.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I mean... He's certainly not worth MORE then he was 3 years ago.

3 Years ago he was 24 years old, signed for another year at a 5.5M cap hit and an RFA after that.

Now he's 3 years older, and and overpaid center making 7.5M. Still probably just as good of a player as he was 3 years ago, but the contractual situations and him being 3 years older definitely has decreased his value.
A) He was an impending UFA not a RFA. Very significant difference. B) He's not overpaid at all, Colorado fans know first hand everything this guy brings to the ice on top of 1st line level production.
Given these factors I'd say he's absolutely worth more today then he was 3 years ago.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Would be cruel, seeing how hard he worked to get out of Denver.

It would never happen, but it would be humorous just based on how incredibly awkward it would be for all the parties involved. Plus, I am sure ROR's father would tweet some wonderful zen philosophy about the whole situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad