Confirmed with Link: ROOPE HINTZ 8 YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION (8x8.45M AAV)

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
This would be an amazing deal if he could stay healthy, but I have my doubts given he's been unable to play in the most important game of the year for 3 straight years.

Oh well, since he's sticking around I'll try to be hopeful, and at the very least, we should get ~50-60 fun regular season games per year out of him. :thumbu:

Also, now that he's signed to a long-term deal, his trade value has never been higher! :D

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
It's a great deal, way cheaper than I thought. He's absolutely fantastic when fully healthy.

I don't trust his health so I would've preferred going the magic beans route next offseason. I know that doesn't really happen in the NHL outside of Carolina (and maybe Florida?), so I'll take this as I win due to the low cap-hit.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm happy for Hintz and happy for Dallas for signing a good contract for both parties. He's shown during the last 2-3 seasons that's he's worth that contract and that his level of play isn't just a thing of one season. In other words, the sample size is big enough.

Something funny that the non Finnish posters here may not know about. Usually when the Finnish kids hear the name "Roope" they think of something else than just the name of a person. They think about the famous cartoon character that everyone in the world knows about, Scrooge McDuck, because that's the translation of Roope Ankka (ankka = duck). He certainly became as rich as Uncle Scrooge now lol. So get them Scrooge McDuck avatars out lol. If there' some with Scrooge McDuck with a hockey stick, that would be perfect. BTW Roope isn't that common person's name in Finland. It's actually quite rare.

Above is the google translator translation of it if you don't believe me :).

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I'm happy for Hintz and happy for Dallas for signing a good contract for both parties. He's shown during the last 2-3 seasons that's he's worth that contract and that his level of play isn't just a thing of one season. In other words, the sample size is big enough.

Something funny that the non Finnish posters here may not know about. Usually when the Finnish kids hear the name "Roope" they think of something else than just the name of a person. They think about the famous cartoon character that everyone in the world knows about, Scrooge McDuck, because that's the translation of Roope Ankka (ankka = duck). He certainly became as rich as Uncle Scrooge now lol. So get them Scrooge McDuck avatars out lol. If there' some with Scrooge McDuck with a hockey stick, that would be perfect. BTW Roope isn't that common person's name in Finland. It's actually quite rare.

Above is the google translator translation of it if you don't believe me :).
Well.. not really a "rare" name. Over 7000 of them.

Funny fact is that; Fewer people has Miro as a first name.. (~6,5k) I think Mikko being one of the popular ones, and it has 71k Carrier.

Then there's first names like Juhani, which has 356k person with that name. All because most Finnish have two or three first names..

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I can’t wait until Benn gets his next contract and it’s about half of what he makes now.
His next contract will be age 36 season. He prob shouldn’t get a contract at all. I know he’s having a bit of a resurgence this year but we should be able to better spend the money at that point.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
His next contract will be age 36 season. He prob shouldn’t get a contract at all. I know he’s having a bit of a resurgence this year but we should be able to better spend the money at that point.

By the time his current contract is up he'll have been the captain of the team for 12 years . He's already the longest serving captain in franchise history. Either he re-signs here or he retires.

I also see almost no scenario where Benns #14 isn't getting retired .

Reactions: LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
By the time his current contract is up he'll have been the captain of the team for 12 years . He's already the longest serving captain in franchise history. Either he re-signs here or he retires.

f***ing horseshit

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Yep. So long as Nill is here, Benn stays if he wants. Should be a lot cheaper after his contract is up.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Is this guy long term 1c or do you see Johnston challenging that in a few years?
The main thing that will hold Hintz back down the road is injuries. If he can stay healthy and maintain his explosive skating, he'll be the number one. Johnston is very promising, but he doesn't have that one magic trick Hintz does of being both big and super fast.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Is this guy long term 1c or do you see Johnston challenging that in a few years?
I think Wyatt definitely has the potential to surpass Hintz. What he is doing at 19 is more impressive than what Hintz was doing at the same age. Development isn't linear or the same for all players but I think Wyatt has all the skills and smarts to be a higher end 1C than Hintz. Will be fun to see if he can make that a reality.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Hintz has a habit of getting/playing injured. I could see Johnston potentially stepping in as 1c if that happens, but I think he's probably best as a 2c, though it's not even halfway through his rookie season, so depending on how he progresses he could very well develop into that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad