Room to grow?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
We all hate the trade forums but like a car wreck we always find ourselves looking at it. Is it to look at the stupidity? (He ran a red light. He made THAT proposal?) Is it to look at the carnage? (Is that a limb? Oh look flame war.) Do I go? Ab-so-friggin-lootly! I'm the guy who said, 'Hey! Watch this!'

Why do I bring this up? Because the way the team is constructed would you make a trade for an upgrade?

Honestly, this team is nuclear hot. Oak Ridge level nuke hot. And not just hot for a short term but hot and still burning like the sun. Would you make a deal 1st liner for 1st liner upgrade?

Sid? No to be honest.

Geno? Ehhh maybe.

Please note, this is line for line. 1st for 1st, 2nd for 2nd, 3rd for 3rd. Maybe, just maybe a 3rd pairing D replacement but that's it. But with Ellis coming back... (Now watch the hockey Gods blight this team because of my arrogance).

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
It’s okay to be confident. I have high faith in this team for the first time in years.
Id hate for us to do another Santorelli and Franson deal, so I think we should keep it as is unless a major injury were to happen in the very near future. I’d only really advocate Tolvanen coming in if their season ends short.
On the NHL Super 16, we didn’t have anything in the “miss” column. With Ellis coming back soon, our team is looking SCARY. A lot to be excited about. Just don’t be arrogant, right?;)

Reactions: Adz

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm withholding judgment until I see how things are when Ellis comes back. We all assume, fairly, that he'll just add to the success but let's wait and see. That's not guaranteed. With that said, I don't think we need to do much right now as it stands. Realistically I think any big move would be a mistake. We're making out like thieves currently on the Turris trade and that's really all we need to focus on right now IMO

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
I'm withholding judgment until I see how things are when Ellis comes back. We all assume, fairly, that he'll just add to the success but let's wait and see. That's not guaranteed. With that said, I don't think we need to do much right now as it stands. Realistically I think any big move would be a mistake. We're making out like thieves currently on the Turris trade and that's really all we need to focus on right now IMO
This is my thought as well. Turris was our trade deadline deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Concur. I see no reason to make any further trades at this time.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I could see trying to pick up one more winger to replace Aberg, but atm I really think that's about all we need unless we have an injury.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Concur. I see no reason to make any further trades at this time.

I don't see a need for a trade, but I am okay adding depth in the right situation.

If we see an opportunity to add a 5/6th defenseman who fits this roster or a 3rd liner who also fits better, it may be worth exploring later in the year.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Predators are about to return a top 30 D-man to the roster and are rolling 4 lines why screw with it?

Obviously, you do not need to now. Let's see where we are at in 3 months. Depth doesn't hurt a deep playoff run. You only have so many chances with a roster this capable.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Depth defenseman to play with Emelin on 3rd pairing--someone like Johnny Oduya (UFA, would come cheap)? Can never have too many players with Cup experience. Forward depth is fine barring any major injuries.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Because the dumbest thing a new franchise can do is let a guaranteed first rounder walk out the door for nothing.

No that would be the second dumbest. The dumbest would be getting your brand new fan base excited for a playoff run and then trading your best player at the deadline for a mid to late first round draft pick.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No that would be the second dumbest. The dumbest would be getting your brand new fan base excited for a playoff run and then trading your best player at the deadline for a mid to late first round draft pick.
Yeah and then the next season you are a dumpster fire with nothing to show for it because you were worried about making the playoffs your first season as an expansion team instead of building your depth by trading those players that are going to be free agents.

I'd rather miss early and make smart choices than to make it early and then swim around in mediocrity for 10 years because I just thought I had to make a playoff push my first year in the league.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Yeah and then the next season you are a dumpster fire with nothing to show for it because you were worried about making the playoffs your first season as an expansion team instead of building your depth by trading those players that are going to be free agents.

I'd rather miss early and make smart choices than to make it early and then swim around in mediocrity for 10 years because I just thought I had to make a playoff push my first year in the league.

Playoff teams are going to be who is in the market for rental Neal.
Playoff teams will draft between 16 and 31.

So you're telling me Vegas will get someone with a pick likely in the 20's who will prevent them from being a "dumpster fire'?

Cool story bro.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Playoff teams are going to be who is in the market for rental Neal.
Playoff teams will draft between 16 and 31.

So you're telling me Vegas will get someone with a pick likely in the 20's who will prevent them from being a "dumpster fire'?

Cool story bro.

No I'm saying they are going to be one anyways, so you might as well get something from it instead of zilch.

We picked 30th, Tolvanen...hmmm.

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013

Because the dumbest thing a new franchise can do is let a guaranteed first rounder walk out the door for nothing.
Who is saying that Neal would walk? Vegas is currently a good team who is in a playoff spot. There have been reports that he likes it there and would re-sign.

Vegas also has 28 draft picks over the next 3 years with plenty of cap space. With them being a good team and having cap space, I can see the them being a free agent destination. They will be fine.

Therefore there is zero reason to trade Neal.

Reactions: FierceFalcon

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

If they can make the playoffs, that's a worthy goal in and of itself. The "stick with these players" stupidity involves when your team doesn't make the playoffs but nonetheless plays surprisingly (even historically) well, such that your idiot GM decides that The Team Is Already Ready To Go and starts trying to do bubble-team style adjustments, forcing newly drafted guys who aren't ready into the lineup, and firing an effective coach when he refuses to play along only to try to coach the team himself in addition to his GM and president duties, and ultimately condemning that team to over a decade of mediocrity.

But he'll have drafted Rick Nash, so it's not all negative.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
If they are still in the playoff race at trade deadline time, much less in a playoff spot like they are now, well they would be crazy to trade neal.

We hear and think along the lines of all this about 'they should be building for the future', but what people are using is the "normal" growth of an expansion franchise. That normal growth has been gradually over 4-5 years of becoming good enough to even make the playoffs. Vegas appears to be in a totally unique situation in that they are close to or possibly already at being there right now. This is new territory for any new team, ever. So the 'normal' expansion team approach wouldn't apply (again as long as they are even in the race come deadline time).

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
No I'm saying they are going to be one anyways, so you might as well get something from it instead of zilch.

We picked 30th, Tolvanen...hmmm.

You think a playoff run is "zilch"??

Whatever. The mindset of "we can't let anyone walk for nothing" is pervasive, along with the attitude of "we can't ever trade our picks and prospects". Both mindsets are misguided. Sometimes you have to take a chance.

Reactions: Viqsi

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think they should play it out if they are in the playoffs. The defense is decent and they have capable goaltending with potential star power. You never know what will happen. It may lead to them resigning Neal as well.

It really is a unique situation.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site

I think everyone believes that Vegas is due for regression at some point but how are you so sure that they will be a dumpster fire next year if they're still playing like this at the trade deadline?

With the expansion rules, they actually got several good young players that will probably be long term guys for them in Marchessault, Smith, Karlson and Theodore. After the season they've had, you think it's a good idea to trade away Neal and tell them they don't deserve to have their best possible chance in the playoffs just to get another pick in the late 20s?

Besides, this isn't the typical expansion team. They actually have plenty of good prospects developing given that they already got three top 15 picks and two 2nd rounders out of the draft in June.

IMO, the stupid thing would be for McPhee to start trading futures to bolster the roster for a playoff run this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->