Rookie of the month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
nomorekids said:
he's not calder eligible, but he's still a rookie. he's only ineligible for the calder by a couple of months, even.

Are you sure about that? I thought you had to be Calder eligible to be considered a "rookie" otherwise you're the equivalent of a 1st year player in the NFL. Could be wrong.

If Zidlicky is eligible, I don't care as long as it's out of him, Fleury, Bergeron or Pitkanen. They all deserve it. If Zidlicky doesn't qualify, one of the aforementioned three.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Zidlicky isn't classified as a rookie and he's not Calder Eligible.

He's a first year player. ESPN explained the situation pretty nicely tonight during the Preds-Stars game.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Fluery due to the fact that he has a weak team in front of him and has been one of the three stars in every game he has played in for the Pens. He has got his team points practically by himself and has dominated in almost every game.
I LOVE Pitkanen though. I was SO hoping he would have fallen one more spot to the Pens his draft year. Many Norris trophy's for him in the future.

I'd say Orpik over malone BTW.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
Even though Zidlicky has been scoring more, I would say that I think Pitkanen has been the better defenseman, and as evidenced by Jackman's Calder win last year, it is not based solely on stats. I am just glad there have been rookies this year who could step in, as opposed to last year where the rookie of the month usually went to whomever was the was the best 3rd liner.

You haven't been watching Zidlicky too much this year have you. He really isn't very bad defensively. He looks like a rookie out there at times, but usually is quite solid. And Pitkanen can't even match his offense.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
You haven't been watching Zidlicky too much this year have you. He really isn't very bad defensively. He looks like a rookie out there at times, but usually is quite solid. And Pitkanen can't even match his offense.

But Pitkänen can match his defense.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
SmokeyClause said:

I did not say Zidlicky was bad on defense, I didn't even say Pitkanen was better defensively. All I said was from what I have seen, Pitkanen is the better defenseman. The distance between their offensive abilities is much smaller than the distance between their defensive abilities. Pitkanen hs been stellar. I absolutely hate the Flyers, so it really pains me to say this, but Pitkanen has been the best rookie this year so far, as well as one of the best defensemen. And by the way, there is more to offense than point totals. Just his puck carrying ability is enough to make someone take notice.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
PhoPhan said:
I did not say Zidlicky was bad on defense, I didn't even say Pitkanen was better defensively. All I said was from what I have seen, Pitkanen is the better defenseman. The distance between their offensive abilities is much smaller than the distance between their defensive abilities. Pitkanen hs been stellar. I absolutely hate the Flyers, so it really pains me to say this, but Pitkanen has been the best rookie this year so far, as well as one of the best defensemen. And by the way, there is more to offense than point totals. Just his puck carrying ability is enough to make someone take notice.

so is zidlicky's, though. i've seen him fake\deke through 4-5 different players to score\set up a goal. that's WHAT makes him so good, in addition to his vision.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
nomorekids said:
so is zidlicky's, though. i've seen him fake\deke through 4-5 different players to score\set up a goal. that's WHAT makes him so good, in addition to his vision.

I've watched Pitkanen in a couple of games. For his age he is very poised. He may even have higher eventual potential. But Zids his playing way above his level right now. Last night he made incredible weaves on a rush thru the Dallas D on a give and go and flipped the puck over Turco after he dropped. This AM in the paper Trotz said he had gone with 7 D because Zidlicky was sick!

It may be moot-- at his age and years pro is Zidseven technically a rookie?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
tnrocketman said:
I've watched Pitkanen in a couple of games. For his age he is very poised. He may even have higher eventual potential. But Zids his playing way above his level right now. Last night he made incredible weaves on a rush thru the Dallas D on a give and go and flipped the puck over Turco after he dropped. This AM in the paper Trotz said he had gone with 7 D because Zidlicky was sick!

It may be moot-- at his age and years pro is Zidseven technically a rookie?

no. he's too old by a few months.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
nomorekids said:

I know how good Marek is, if you remember I was one of those few people who kept telling on these boards that he will absolutely rock and be the best 1st year player this year.

But the difference between him and Pitkänen was big last year, now from what I have seen, Joni has taken a giant step in his development and Marek is where he was before. I have been much more surprised about Pitkänen than Zidlicky, who has not been a surprise at all.

Marek has better points at the moment, but he is not calder eligible (too bad for him).

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
just pondering something here....zidlicky is on pace for an incredible season (leading all d-men in points) and Pitkanens upside may be higher according to many...scary thought ;)
ps both seem to do an excellent job carrying the puck...and zidlicky makes some awsome hits....i think pitkanen does a better job clearing the crease area and defending in close to the net white Z seems a bit more polished offensicely.....so right now Z a bit better offensively P a bit better defensively :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->