Rookie invasion in the crease

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
PecaFan said:
Theodore is the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Drafted in 94. Played 2 more years in Junior. Played next three years in the AHL before he was actually given the NHL backup job in 99/00. Note that during those three years, he was spotted some games in the NHL, exactly as I said. Vokoun, Kipper, Esche, Garon, Denis all fit that same profile.

Expansion drafts are often the key factor to get these guys NHL jobs as well, a brand new team is far more willing to go with a rookie for the entire year.

The guys on your list that will earn backup spots (IE, on the roster all 82 games), will be guys exactly like that. Guys who've already spent a few years in the AHL, with some prior NHL experience worked in during that time.
A lot of goalies often get their "cups of coffee" (due to injuries or team out of the playoffs), just like players in various other positions. But they usually win the gigs permanently straight out of training camp... that's their rookie season. They might go down to the minors part way through the year for conditioning purposes or to get out of a slump, but usually end up playing a majority of the year with the big club.

The thing is, for some of these goalies, this year would've been the year for them to get that "cup of coffee". I don't know how big of a difference that short stint up with the big club really makes... I really don't see how it makes a goalie any better or worse than if they just waited until the next year's training camp to make the team outright.

GM's are always a little nervous about rookies, but after a year of no NHL, won't they be just as worried about vets that never played all year?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
NYRangers said:
1 year. Dunham's contract is also up.

Theres a bunch of options. Dunham is gone though...

Weekes/Labarbera(or Valliquette)
Labarbera/Valliquette
Lundqvist/Labarbera

In any circumstance, Lundqvist will spend most of the season in NY IMO.

Rangers will sign at least 1 veteran goalie.

No way LaBarbera or Valiquette becomes starting goalie.
You cannot just count on Lundqvist coming in as the starter and even if he did they'd want a veteran goalie with him.

My guess is they sign Weekes since they were obviously interested enough to sign him initially.

Starting the season: Weekes/LaBarbera or Valiquette

By December: Weekes/Lundvquist - both getting legit time.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Valiquette supposedly has a contract to play in Russia next year...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_id=1501&hubName=NYR

so he might not be around...obviously though i'm not sure what that really means...if it's "insurance" for him if he doesn't have a spot in hartford or new york, or if he's planning on going no matter what.

but yeah i'd agree they probably try to sign weekes again and then maybe back him up with labarbera...or maybe lundqvist if he proves he can hack it...start him a little slow and see if he can take the reigns. also depends on what montoya does, cuz if he leaves school he's gonna have to have a place to play in hartford

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
zetterberg40 said:
macdonald over legace or even liv if he comes over... nope!
Both Legace and Joseph are UFAs... MacDonald has been highly successful in his 3+ years in the AHL, and one of Grand Rapids' MVPs this past season (along with Kronwall). He can be given a shot at backup duties, be it to a re-signed Legace, or a big name free agent signing.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Barnaby said:
Starting the season: Weekes/LaBarbera or Valiquette

By December: Weekes/Lundvquist - both getting legit time.
That's kind of how I see it playing out, except Lundqvist might as well play most of the year in Hartford, maybe getting the callup after the Rags get eliminated from the playoffs, if that's how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad