Rookie bonuses question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolburnIsGone

With Fleury getting sent back to juniors and mention of him not getting his bonuses, what exactly are the stipulations for both forwards and goalies to achieve their rookie bonuses? I know there's the usual top 3 (or is it 5) in Calder voting. What are the other categories thats common in most 1st rounder rookie contracts. I know that not all the contracts are the same but a general idea is good enough.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
RichPanther said:
With Fleury getting sent back to juniors and mention of him not getting his bonuses, what exactly are the stipulations for both forwards and goalies to achieve their rookie bonuses? I know there's the usual top 3 (or is it 5) in Calder voting. What are the other categories thats common in most 1st rounder rookie contracts. I know that not all the contracts are the same but a general idea is good enough.

Games played, wins, shutouts, save percentage.

Deleted member 3032

There is often one for forwards being in the top-6 among their teams forwards in average icetime. Defensemen may have one like this, too. If so I would guess it'd be top-4 among their team's defense icetime.

There is one for goals and points (not sure about assists) think they HAVE to be a certain number, but forget which number. I think 20 goals and 50 points. Not sure if this is different for defensemen than forwards.

Games Played as stated above by The Pucks. Believe this is also a set number. Maybe 60 games (for forwards/defense)?

All positions can have one for finishing in a certain position for calder voting as you noted. Also not sure if it is top-3 or top-5.

Goalies get one for games played, wins, shutouts, and save percentage, but I have no idea what the numbers are. I'm pretty sure that the save percentage one is kind of a joke now (like .890 or .900) with the league being much more defensive then it was when the CBA was made. All benchmarks for those stats are set in the CBA, so a team can't change what is the cutoff point.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
http://www.letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=36

I might add... if a minimum for a category is let's say 60 points... and the player has a points bonus in his deal, just because he reaches 60 points doesn't mean he gets it. The actual # is set forth in his contract. The # set forth in his contract just can't be below 60 points.

It's to prevent teams from signing a guy to a deal worth $400,000 and then giving him a bonus for EACH goal, EACH point, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->