Video Ron Hextall - A History of Violence

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Chelios deserved every bit of that after Chelios had a cheapshot on Propp. Sad that it took the Flyers that long to retaliate, but Hextall took matters into his own hands.

If you believe that cheap shots should be retaliated against, then you should have no problem with anything done to the flyers, ever.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Chelios deserved every bit of that after Chelios had a cheapshot on Propp. Sad that it took the Flyers that long to retaliate, but Hextall took matters into his own hands.

I believe the story is that Holmgren had gathered the team and told them not to bother with Chelios...but nobody told Hextall, when he was arguably the guy who most needed to be told :laugh:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I loved when Hextall went after Chelios, but what he actually did to him was kind of meh wasn't it? He didn't even land that much.

His insane bat swing on Kent Nilsson's achilles looked much, much worse in terms of risk of injury.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I loved when Hextall went after Chelios, but what he actually did to him was kind of meh wasn't it? He didn't even land that much.

His insane bat swing on Kent Nilsson's achilles looked much, much worse in terms of risk of injury.

Yeah that swung was crazy.

But his attack on Chelios was my personal favorite.

cujoflutie

I've never been a Philly fan but there was never a dull moment with Hextall in net. The madder he got, the better he played.

It was odd too because he always seemed so soft spoken on the ice, you could never tell from his interviews what a lunatic he was under the equipment.

Would he have lasted today? If he sustained his play from earlier in his career (up until about his stints in Quebec and Long Island) he could pretty much write his own ticket. He did severely tone down the antics around that time. That's why I think he was better when he was angry. The latter part of his career once he calmed down, he wasn't as good. I'm not sure why he did calm down, whether he himself decided to or he was forced to.

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
If you believe that cheap shots should be retaliated against, then you should have no problem with anything done to the flyers, ever.

Erm, your're aware this is 30 years later, correct? And if Chelios never cheap shots Propp, then Hexy has no reason to attack Chelios, understand?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yeah that swung was crazy.

But his attack on Chelios was my personal favorite.

I remember watching that game on TV. The play went into the Flyers' zone and was whistled dead, so the camera had a close up of Chelios and the Flyers player near him coasting a second after the whistle. All of a sudden -- and maybe it's memory revisionist history -- but I could swear I saw Chelios' eyes get really wide and then Hextall burst into the camera shot and smashed Chelios against the boards. Chaos ensued.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

What a beauty! Old time hockey :yo:

Ya, assault isn't cool..

neither are stereotypes, but the one about goalies being crazy can be pretty accurate. Most of the teams I've played on had a nutter between the pipes, idk what it is man. My favorite was the goalie who launched his stick over the glass in frustration after giving up a goal.. in a 3-2 playoff game. Like wtf? Good god man, lucky it was only 2 minutes, what the hell are you doing? Also him telling a sub player that he sucked and shouldn't be playing while the game was actually going on. The sub dman cycled back with the puck and his own goalie was chirping him, it was a weird scene.

Anyways, ya, Hex- crazy dude.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Does anyone remember when , after the fight , both opposing players sat in the same penalty box separated by a guy sitting between them . It was a long time ago , but I think it was Bob Pulford and (I think ) Terry Harper had a fight and went to the box and continued the fight with the poor guy in the middle of it . Soon after that event , all clubs had to incorporate separate penalty boxs at their arena .

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
When HEXTALL got that Huge Suspension for going after CHELIOS I wish CHELIOS didn’t BITCH Out and fought him.

Chris CHELIOS Cheap-Shotted the 1989 NHL Playoff Scoring Leader (At That Point with “14-6-20” in 14 Games) Brian Propp & Brian played Parts of 5 More Season & was NEVER the same Player again which is sad because in his 1st 10 Season he was an ALL STAR 5x, Played a complete 2 way Game defensively & Offensively. Had he Not suffered that eventual Career Ending Concussion Injury he would have had even better than his “POINT A GAME” stats (425 - 579 - 1004) in 1016 Games & he is STILL The NHL’s ALL TIME LEADING PLAYOFF SCORER Among Left Wingers. (Isn’t Playoff Hockey,Hockey @ it’s Highest Level of Skill & Talent?)

CHELIOS ran like a bitch, Now had McDAVID, OVECHKIN got cheap shotted like Propp did (CHELIOS didn’t even get a penalty, that shows you how rough n crazy the game was back then) it would be a huge suspension!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->