Ron Francis or Steve Yzerman

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
born and raised whaler guy, ive worshipped ronnie as a kid and admired him as an adult. he's a role model and im proud of being a whaler guy because of players like him.

i would take yzerman.

ronnie is the best second center ever, and a perfect first line complimentary player to guys like jagr. one of the best faceoff guys ever. in comparison though, he never had yzermans high end skill. ronnie was never a goal scorer, and yzerman was a 60 goal scorer. i believe yzerman has the best season ever on record not counting gretzky or mario. in their primes you would never confuse these two players. yzerman was a 150 pt sniper playmaker one on one nightmare who as he grew older grew some francis like tendencies. ronnie was solid everynight, did all the little things every night. his point totals were often reflections of either his linemates (jags, pptime in pitts) or great chemistry with linemates (dineen, whaler days, oneill). ronnie was never a guy who could go end to end, even when he was young. yzerman was the most dangerous guy in the league one on one at times. ronnies biggest compliment is that he has the highest assist total in the history of the nhl, except for gretzky - and he was never a top scorer. it speaks to his consistency and smarts.

great character comparison. not so great player comparison.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wonder how different our perspectives would be if Francis had been a career Red Wing and Yzerman played in relative anonymity in Hartford plus a stint in the shadow of Mario Lemieux??

Wouldn't be an iota different. Hell, Detroit was hardly a great hockey market in the 1980s, and didn't really turn around until Yzerman was in his 30s.

Until the mid-1990s when he had his stats inflated by Lemieux and Jagr, Francis was a 90-100 point player who was consistently on the fringes of the top-10 in league scoring. Yzerman was the most dominant offensive player in the league from 87-94 outside of Lemieux and Gretzky. Career stats look somewhat similar, but in terms of peak performance they weren't really all that close.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I wonder how different our perspectives would be if Francis had been a career Red Wing and Yzerman played in relative anonymity in Hartford plus a stint in the shadow of Mario Lemieux??

True, but I would still pick Yzerman. Then again, if someone was to offer a super donair, I could be swayed to change my choice. ;)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

read my previous post. there was no comparison in these players in their prime. steve yzerman was a hall of famer all star before they even won the cups. im a whaler fan and im saying yzerman was better.

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
Francis is a sure fire HHOFer but Yzerman was the superior player and always played at a level Francis could never quite reach.

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Steve. The way he gave up the laurels of a premier scorer to be more of a team player... that alone is worthy of the deepest respect.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It would definitely be different. You seem to have forgotten the Red Wings were terrible when Yzerman got there, probably worse than the Whalers. He turned the team around and made them successful. Without Yzerman the Red Wings would be in the midst of a 52 year cup drought. Hartford would still probably have a team today if they had drafted Yzerman. Not only would Hartford have drafted Yzerman, but they would've also drafted Fedorov. It was Yzerman that suggested to the Red Wings to draft Fedorov, so he probably would've made the same suggestion to Hartford. Yzerman probably wouldn't have been traded to Pittsburgh because he has always wanted to play for one team. The Red Wings tried to trade him many times, but he didn't want to leave. As for the numbers, Yzerman would probably still have better numbers. He managed to put up great numbers in Detroit with minor league linemates. In fact his numbers might even better had he played in Hartford.

Finally a positive comment on Yzerman for You!

Of course you go way to far. Yzerman was not almost traded "many times". And calling Yzerman's linemates in Detroit "minor league" is well, not true. Maybe not the most elite players in the 80's but far from "minor league" Gallant, Probert were not scoring stars but were very good NHL players. And well who would have been better in Hartford?

bfire

May 30, 2006
Toronto
www.hockeynut.com
As much as Ron Francis is underrated i'm going to have to go with Steve Yzerman. He was the captain so young in his career and he eventually led his team to some cups while always performing outstanding. 1st half of his career he was a total force offensively and eventually became one of the best two-way players. He's the definition of a Captain IMO.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Yzerman, by several miles.

Ron Francis was a very good player for a long time.

Steve Yzerman was a SUPERSTAR for a long time. BIG difference!

From 1987-88 until 1995-96, Stevie Y was the 3rd best player in the NHL. Yes, better than Jagr, even. Had it not been for the timing of his career, he would have been an All-Star at least 7 more times. But how to compete with Gretzky & Lemieux in their primes, also?

Francis ended with a few more points in his career (1798 to 1755), but in 216 more games! Again, not meant to be a knock on Francis, but Yzerman was the clearly superior player every single year they played against each other.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Francis is the most overrated "underrated" player of all time.He wore that tag for the last 14 years of his career.:shakehead

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Francis is the most overrated "underrated" player of all time.He wore that tag for the last 14 years of his career.:shakehead

Ask just about any fringe hockey fan who had the second most assists of all time. You'll probably get three guesses, "Lemiuex? Bobby Orr? Mark Messier?" . ... Ron Francis.

I think the body of work speaks for itself. He STILL isn't mentioned in the same breath as a lot of those guys despite putting up great numbers.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Ask just about any fringe hockey fan who had the second most assists of all time. You'll probably get three guesses, "Lemiuex? Bobby Orr? Mark Messier?" . ... Ron Francis.

I think the body of work speaks for itself. He STILL isn't mentioned in the same breath as a lot of those guys despite putting up great numbers.

He shouldn't be mentioned with Gretzky, Messier and Orr. He wasn't good enough. He put up great numbers but numbers aren't everything. Gartner has over 700 goals scored but he isn't close to being one of the greatest players ever. Francis would probably be around the top 30-40 range of best forwards of all time.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I think bleedgreen's post does justice to the player and the person Ron Francis is.

Yzerman sets himself apart by being the better pure scorer, more dynamic player. Yzerman's speed allowed him to do somethings Francis couldn't. This isn't a knock on Francis, Yzerman's just a bit higher up on the all time scale,imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->