Roman Voloshenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Does anyone have any info on him. I know he have a very big frame standing at 6-6 and I know he have a great under-18 tournemant but around wich spot he should be draft and what kind of player is he?

DR. Holiday

Freaky Habs Fan said:
Does anyone have any info on him. I know he have a very big frame standing at 6-6 and I know he have a great under-18 tournemant but around wich spot he should be draft and what kind of player is he?

He is actually about 6'1/195. Look for him to get drafted anywhere from 18 to 25.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
He's been moving up lately and looks like he could go in the first round now. From what I've read he sounds like he plays like Luc Robitaille. Good hands in front of the net but questionable skating ability.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Don't be fooled, his size allows him to do well at the under 18, when he gets to bigger compitition I bet he does nothing. He is a stay away pick.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
JasonMacIsaac said:
Don't be fooled, his size allows him to do well at the under 18, when he gets to bigger compitition I bet he does nothing. He is a stay away pick.

Good point, but not necessarily true.

Lord

JasonMacIsaac said:
He is already doing well in the Upper League in Russia, playing against experienced players. Voloshenko style of play is more close to Northamerican than European. Gritty, powerful player, strong along the boards, good shot.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lord said:
He is already doing well in the Upper League in Russia, playing against experienced players. Voloshenko style of play is more close to Northamerican than European. Gritty, powerful player, strong along the boards, good shot.
What are his stats in the upperleague? I know that is a level below the superleague.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lord said:
7+8 in 46 games
Not bad for guy playing mostly on the third line for rather mediocre team.
I don't see these stats as overly impressive considering Evgeniy Tunik had 24 points in 42 games with Elemash Elektrostal last year. He has alot of size to boot at 6`4 200. He went in the 2nd round of last years draft.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I don't see these stats as overly impressive considering Evgeniy Tunik had 24 points in 42 games with Elemash Elektrostal last year. He has alot of size to boot at 6`4 200. He went in the 2nd round of last years draft.

This certainly isn't last years draft. And there were some rumblings that Tunik might have gone in the late 1st.

Either way you seem to have your mind quite made up on a guy that I can't imagine you've seen on TV and especially live very many times. Strange.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Flames Draft Watcher said:
This certainly isn't last years draft. And there were some rumblings that Tunik might have gone in the late 1st.

Either way you seem to have your mind quite made up on a guy that I can't imagine you've seen on TV and especially live very many times. Strange.
I have my mind up because he is a slow skater and not that big. The same reasons which held back Ribeiro. How many slow russians do you see in the NHL who are smallish.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I have my mind up because he is a slow skater and not that big. The same reasons which held back Ribeiro. How many slow russians do you see in the NHL who are smallish.

Ribeiro's height and weight in his draft year don't look all that comparable to Voloshenko's. Ribeiro was sub 6-0 and listed at around 150-160 lbs IIRC. How does that compare to 6'1, 195?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
The difference I would say is that Ribiero was 170lbs soaking wet. 6'1, 195 isn't considered smallish now is it? Christ, I better start having my 10 year old start pumping iron now. :joker:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
slats432 said:
The difference I would say is that Ribiero was 170lbs soaking wet. 6'1, 195 isn't considered smallish now is it? Christ, I better start having my 10 year old start pumping iron now. :joker:
Well for a euro who can't skate all that well I consider that fairly small. He has to get strong as an ox if he wants to get near the NHL. I think one of Chicago's russian prospects has the same problem. Can't remember which one.

Lord

JasonMacIsaac said:
I see that the first thing many guys are doing on the HF is stats comparision.
I am usually prefer to make conclusions on live perfomances.
Voloshenko doesn't have great size like Tunik, but his height and frame are good even for NHL standarts. 185 sm and 88 kg. And the main thing that Voloshenko is trying to use his size very often, while Tunik not. Roman's style of play is more close to Nothamerican.
BTW Tunik is two ears older, so lets wait for another season for Voloshenko in the Upperleague.
Sure, Voloshenko have some obvious bad sides in his play like average skating, but he is a sniper, who's capable to score a lot. And IMO he could even play on the 1-st line in the NHL, i think the 2-nd will be ok, while the ceiling for Tunik is 3-rd line.
Maybe late 1-st round, though I doubt really despite his strong perfomance on WC-18. I expect early 2-nd round.

Just my 2 cents.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Is Roman Voloshenko Physical?

He stands at 6'6 220 lbs..
Does he play like it or is he more of a Pierre Dagenais..good shot..but nothing else?
Because if he is physical with a good shot, I would love the Habs to take him by getting a late first rounder or a 2nd rounder.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:
Does he play like it or is he more of a Pierre Dagenais..good shot..but nothing else?
Because if he is physical with a good shot, I would love the Habs to take him by getting a late first rounder or a 2nd rounder.
Are you thinking of Graham?

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:

If you're looking at TSn.ca it is wrong, Volshenko is listed on CSB and every other source as 6'1"/190 lbs

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
RANGERDIEHARD said:
If you're looking at TSn.ca it is wrong, Volshenko is listed on CSB and every other source as 6'1"/190 lbs

I remember there was some sourse that listed him 6'6 but that was obvious misprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->