Roller: Wheel Placement

the_nole

Sep 6, 2005
los angeles, ca
I've seen some different wheel set ups, and not sure how to set up my skates.
2 grippier wheels on the front(1) and back(4).
or the grippy wheels in the back two wheels (3)(4).
or then obvious, the same wheel on all four.

I've got a hi-lo 72-80, and I've been thinking about doing front / back

what is everyones prefrence?

Is there even a science to it?

Last edited:

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Actually, I have the grippers on 1 and 3 positions and the harder wheels on 2 and 4. Never tried it any other way but it seemed to work for me.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I usually get the same hardness for all 4, but if I haaad to choose, I'd probably put the two softer, grippier ones in the back. When I think of myself stopping, it's using the back wheels and when I think of myself pushing off the back wheels do a lot of work while if I'm just gliding I'm usually leaning forward. This could be completely wrong but it's how I'd justify it.

Plus with the 80/72 setup the back wheels are larger and won't have to be replaced as often so it would probably last you a bit longer.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I play with 2 big extra hard wheels in back, one smaller medium grip wheel in the middle and one extra soft, smaller gripper in front. Alot of people think I'm weird but it works for me...I brake alot so I wear out my back wheels fast and the gripper in front helps me with my sharp turnarounds. I go through the front wheel in sometimes less than 2 games...But the way it's set up I can change directions almost as good as on ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->