Roller Hockey Wheels/Surfaces

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
I recently played the first roller hockey game of the year and have a question about wheels/surfaces. I haven't played roller hockey in a couple years and the surface I am now playing on is the concrete under the ice versus sport court when I played previously. I bought new wheels 74A softness and had a sufficient lack of grip on the floor. Going in straight lines was somewhat fine, turning was not. Every time I would take a turn my wheels would just slide and it would be lights out for me, it was terrible. I am not a horrible rollerblader by any stretch but I would like to know what kind of wheels you guys would recommend for playing on this concrete/slippery surface. I am more than likely going to switch to my semi worn-in 76A wheels I got with the blades for my game tonight.

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
I went out and bought a set of Hyper Wheels that were 82A/84A to use outside on a tennis court type rink near my house. Those might work a lot better than the softer wheels you have right now.

Yeah the tennis court type surface would be fine for me, but the surface I am playing on is the concrete that is under the ice (when theres ice in the winter). The surface was extremely slippery for my first game last night. I have switched my wheels today to my worn in 76A wheels that came with my rollerblades when I bought them a few years back. I think my wheels were a little too new. Hopefully the switch helps tonight, I looked like a doofus out there last night. If that fails I have a set of 83A outdoor hockey wheels I might try, but the harder wheel probably won't do much on this surface.

RangerSteve

Yeah the tennis court type surface would be fine for me, but the surface I am playing on is the concrete that is under the ice (when theres ice in the winter). The surface was extremely slippery for my first game last night. I have switched my wheels today to my worn in 76A wheels that came with my rollerblades when I bought them a few years back. I think my wheels were a little too new. Hopefully the switch helps tonight, I looked like a doofus out there last night. If that fails I have a set of 83A outdoor hockey wheels I might try, but the harder wheel probably won't do much on this surface.

I'm a bigger guy and I actually use 78As on the sportcourt/tile surface. There are two rinks down the block from my house and they have that tennis court type surface as well as the one you are speaking of. I use my 84As on those and I have no problems. Good luck though with the wheels, I hate that feeling when you know you're a lot better than you're showing when you're sliding all over the place.

We'reGonnaWin*

Sometimes you'll have a hard time gripping no matter how soft the wheels you use. This is just because the floor you play on might be dirty. I know some of the lacrosse clubs we share my local rink with tend to get dirty onto the rink floor. You'll have to try some homepsun remedies. Try using a product called Grip Juice, or spray some WIndex on the floor and rub your wheels into them. That might work in a pinch.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
a little trick for getting a good grip till you get it sorted out...indoor soccer players use it when they play on an old hockey rink that is no longer iced...hairspray on the bottom of the sneakers. Works for grip on the wheels too. Lasts about long enough for one shift. Just a very quick light spray before each shift.

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
Thanks for the tips guys, I went back to a set of worn in wheels and I had a MUCH better time tonight, mind you we won last night and lost tonight... go figure. But I can only go up from here!

RangerSteve

a little trick for getting a good grip till you get it sorted out...indoor soccer players use it when they play on an old hockey rink that is no longer iced...hairspray on the bottom of the sneakers. Works for grip on the wheels too. Lasts about long enough for one shift. Just a very quick light spray before each shift.

Each shift? That bottle better be a friggen big one.:sarcasm:

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
I went out and bought a set of Hyper Wheels that were 82A/84A to use outside on a tennis court type rink near my house. Those might work a lot better than the softer wheels you have right now.

I've been using the same Hyper 84A's since '04 and they're the sh*t. The original wheels on my skates wore out quick, but my 84A's are still in great condition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad