Rogers Sportsnet confuses Bridgestone Arena in Nashville for TD Garden in Boston in opening montage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Rogers Sportsnet had a nice idea for an opening montage for Game 2 of the Bruins/Leafs series but at 11 seconds in they show an empty Bridgestone Arena in Nashville instead of TD Garden in Boston.

Rogers decided they didn't need Tim Thompson who did the CBC HNIC opening montage for years.

What stuns me is that nobody in the chain of command in Toronto caught it for a very important telecast.

:facepalm:

Forget the financial part of it - CBC loved the game, Rogers does not.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sportsnet is amateur. Always has been.

When Rogers took over in 2014-15 they tried to pay US based freelancers the same amount as what CBC paid but in Canadian dollars. :thumbd:

TSN, RDS and TVA don't quibble about what US based technicians want for compensation. Rogers is a nightmare.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
When Rogers took over in 2014-15 they tried to pay US based freelancers the same amount as what CBC paid but in Canadian dollars. :thumbd:

TSN, RDS and TVA don't quibble about what US based technicians want for compensation. Rogers is a nightmare.
Yeah it's pathetic. They overpaid large on the NHL deal and now find themselves icing an overall shit product because they are forced to penny pinch almost everywhere else.

All the great commentators for hockey aren't a part of Rogers - except Bob Cole, but look what they did to him. Kicked him to the side of the curb for the playoffs this year. A legend.

What a joke.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012

Hate being that guy, but what's your source? Wouldn't mind reading up on all of that.

This is a lot of anger over a 2 second shot that probably close to 90% of non Bruins/Preds fans wouldn't have caught at first glance. Sucks, but mistakes happen.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah it's pathetic. They overpaid large on the NHL deal and now find themselves icing an overall **** product because they are forced to penny pinch almost everywhere else.

All the great commentators for hockey aren't a part of Rogers - except Bob Cole, but look what they did to him. Kicked him to the side of the curb for the playoffs this year. A legend.

What a joke.

NBC happily hired Chris Cuthbert and Gord Miller for the playoffs.

Sportsnet really tries to go on the cheap with their regional games in the US beamed backed to Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary. TSN, on the other hand, treats their regional games beamed back to Winnipeg, Ottawa and Montreal like they are national telecasts.

Both Rogers and Bell go all in with Toronto.

Reactions: pucky

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hate being that guy, but what's your source? Wouldn't mind reading up on all of that.

This is a lot of anger over a 2 second shot that probably close to 90% of non Bruins/Preds fans wouldn't have caught at first glance. .Sucks, but mistakes happen

I make my living as a freelance camera operator for NHL games along with MLB and NFL

It's a brutal business concerning TV trucks and crews and now an agreement was brokered where a US based truck can do a game in Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Montreal. In return, Canadian based trucks can enter the US. Alberta is a logistical nightmare for a US based truck company.

My 'gut feeling' is that Rogers was aware of the mistake but didn't want to offend a major sponsor (Scotia Bank) with a free plug to TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: pucky

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
You sound like a very bitter worker who’s just out searching for things that Rogers does wrong. If you really think they didn’t show a 2 second clip of the inside of TD Garden because of sponsorship I think you’re out of your mind. I’m obviously not sitting here listening to games waiting to hear this, but I’m sure they openly state they’re at TD Garden throughout the broadcast. They probably also openly say they’re at the Bell Centre as well.

Yes. They messed up on a quick shot, who cares. Relax. It’s not something to run over to HF and be like “omg omg Rogers screwed up again! They suck at hockey! Pay me more money!!”

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
You sound like a very bitter worker who’s just out searching for things that Rogers does wrong. If you really think they didn’t show a 2 second clip of the inside of TD Garden because of sponsorship I think you’re out of your mind. I’m obviously not sitting here listening to games waiting to hear this, but I’m sure they openly state they’re at TD Garden throughout the broadcast. They probably also openly say they’re at the Bell Centre as well.

Yes. They messed up on a quick shot, who cares. Relax. It’s not something to run over to HF and be like “omg omg Rogers screwed up again! They suck at hockey! Pay me more money!!”

I think most posters would find it interesting as the very least. I do.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Oh, I get it.

You’re Nick Kypreos.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Rogers should be forced to surrender the remainder of the contract and the Rogers campus should be burned to the ground.

Imagine the freakin' nerve of them.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016

bootlicker detected

how much is Rogers paying you?

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
bootlicker detected

how much is Rogers paying you?
So you actually think someone at Rogers caught the mistake, but then said "oh let's just keep it because it'll make Scotiabank happy"

Come on. They literally say "TD Garden" throughout their broadcasts lol. That would be a much easier thing to avoid doing, but they don't.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Not bitter at all, just heartbroken that what once was the best-produced sports telecast in North America is no longer special.

Rogers got the contract because they overpaid but also figured out a way to keep the CBC involved as the OTA component was important to Bettman. Bell was not willing to use CTV every Saturday night and during the playoffs except for the SCF. The most profitable local TV station in the US and Canada is CFTO-TV Channel 9 in Toronto.

Last night the montage's focus was that TD Garden has been a house of horrors for the Leafs in the playoffs and since they already had cameras in place at TD, how hard would it have been to get video of the empty arena? Instead, they searched their archives and got it wrong.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah it's pathetic. They overpaid large on the NHL deal and now find themselves icing an overall **** product because they are forced to penny pinch almost everywhere else.

What a joke.

Cole is possibly the hockey broadcasting GOAT but his time to move on has come

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
In Quebec we hve TVA Sports who does this everytime so we are used to it. They often write the wrong score lol

pucky

Jan 11, 2011

His theory is very reasonable. Why on earth would there be a clip of the Nashville arena in that montage as they're filming Boston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->