Rogers Place... The Worst Public Address Announcer In The League?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
a·cous·tic
əˈko͞ostik/
noun
plural noun: acoustics
  1. 1.
    the properties or qualities of a room or building that determine how sound is transmitted in it.
    "Symphony Hall has perfect acoustics"
I guess crowd noise somehow is not included .....
Crowd noise is def s part of the acoustics. Speakers are great crowd noise and the way sound travels in the arena is crap.
I know what acoustics are and they have nothing to do with the noise that the crowd generates.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Best arena experience has to be Vegas. For a non-hockey city, they have the experience nailed down. Too much county music and hillbilly rock over and over again at Rogers Place. The food is pathetic when compared to Vegas.

Honestly, how hard would it be for the Oilers to employ an extra person or add responsibilities to an existing employee and have them roam opposing team's arenas and report back on the things they do well that we should employ.

One of the biggest mistakes IMHO, was getting rid of the opening video from Season 1 in Rogers Place. It was edgy, and got the crowd pumped. Instead, we are not stuck with the touchy-feely crap that they decide to go with. Not sure if it is on YouTube, but Vegas' opening gets the fans into a frenzy. Admittedly, their music is played really loud, but their fans are rabid.

Oilers need to figure their Sh*t out.

Reactions: Porkleaker

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Best arena experience has to be Vegas. For a non-hockey city, they have the experience nailed down. Too much county music and hillbilly rock over and over again at Rogers Place. The food is pathetic when compared to Vegas.

Honestly, how hard would it be for the Oilers to employ an extra person or add responsibilities to an existing employee and have them roam opposing team's arenas and report back on the things they do well that we should employ.

One of the biggest mistakes IMHO, was getting rid of the opening video from Season 1 in Rogers Place. It was edgy, and got the crowd pumped. Instead, we are not stuck with the touchy-feely crap that they decide to go with. Not sure if it is on YouTube, but Vegas' opening gets the fans into a frenzy. Admittedly, their music is played really loud, but their fans are rabid.

Vegas does have the advantage of being a cool destination with many tourists there to have fun already. Edmonton is full of people who just got off work in the dark and depressing winter. I bet Vegas has a lot more 18-40 crowd than rogers place too.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017

Oilers in game presentation is a joke. Likely worst in league. But why would Daryl care. As long has we keep buying the crap he produces & as head jock sniffer he can continue to employ his buddies & his buddies buddies (see OEG management, the architect of the arena, Paul Messier, Todd Macs dad, Bob Greens step kid,kevin Lowes kid, Chirellis son, Lowe, MacT, Gretz, Coffey...etc) all is good with the world.

Reactions: Porkleaker

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Northlands coliseum was also called the library back in the day. For all the noise and commotion that was generated during the playoffs the regular season was seats filled with people who knew hockey. They cheered when the team gave them something to cheer about. This season didn't have much of that... and most of the people in the seats still know hockey. Expecting a real hockey market to be entertained by cheers or cheerleaders is never going to be a part of the show here. . How to improve the fan experience. make the beer n snacks a little cheaper and the lineup for the john shorter. Oh yeah, ice a competitive hockey team!

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
l think he means the acoustics are 'dead' because it is so quiet in there. I too think the acoustics are great - echo is kept to a minimum (as best as you can in an arena of that sizes anyway). A place with 'poor' acoustics will make 10,000 people sound like 30,000 with all the echo. Great for a sporting event but absolutely terrible if attending a concert.

I don't mind our singer - he's not the greatest but as already mentioned he goes out, sings the anthems as they are meant to be sung, stays in key, and goes off. Not more you could ask for

I"ve already complained about our PA guy many times lol. Agree there.

Best one - watch the Minnesota / Wpg series and find me a better one than the Minnesota one. Wpg's is good too.

Pet peeve - they announce the goal number and points for the Oilers players when they score, but zero info for the opponent when they score. In every other arena (on TV btw as I haven't been to all of them) where they announce it - they announce it for BOTH teams, not just the home team. That I believe is an Oiler thing though, and not the PA guy.

Library? For those that said that I strongly disagree. I'm always distracted by the noise in a library. I wish Rogers place was as loud as one. No one wants to cheer in that place. Even last year when we were doing well - went to three games and all three the crowd was pretty docile.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I know what acoustics are and they have nothing to do with the noise that the crowd generates.
who cares I think we cal all agree the crowd noise is terrible at Rogers and needs to improve. In game entertainment too. You have the nicest scoreclock in the league and its next to useless during in game entertainment.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
boy i miss Mark Lewis. This current PA announcer guy has no energy at all.

And the sad thing is that this guy is different from the original guy that was being talked about in the OP.

Overall, I think a lot of the problems with the new arena have to do with not only the design, but the type of fan that the Oilers are catering to. Rexall was an old-school hockey barn first and foremost: gritty, barebones, unpretentious, and designed for hockey to be the centrepiece. As such, Rexall was designed for old-school hockey fans: loud, boisterous, blue-collar everymen and women who were there to cheer their guts out and have a good time. Case in point...

giphy.gif

Meanwhile, Rogers Place is designed not as a hockey arena, but as a slick, corporate events venue that just so happens to accommodate hockey. You don't see guys like the wig guy in Rogers anymore. All the loud fans in his demographic were priced out in lieu of suit-and-tie bigwigs who treat hockey games merely as elitist business meetings, not a passionate Canadian experience.

giphy.gif

End rant.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And the sad thing is that this guy is different from the original guy that was being talked about in the OP.

Overall, I think a lot of the problems with the new arena have to do with not only the design, but the type of fan that the Oilers are catering to. Rexall was an old-school hockey barn first and foremost: gritty, barebones, unpretentious, and designed for hockey to be the centrepiece. As such, Rexall was designed for old-school hockey fans: loud, boisterous, blue-collar everymen and women who were there to cheer their guts out and have a good time. Case in point...

giphy.gif

Meanwhile, Rogers Place is designed not as a hockey arena, but as a slick, corporate events venue that just so happens to accommodate hockey. You don't see guys like the wig guy in Rogers anymore. All the loud fans in his demographic were priced out in lieu of suit-and-tie bigwigs who treat hockey games merely as elitist business meetings, not a passionate Canadian experience.

giphy.gif

End rant.
You must not have went to too many games at Rexall the past bunch of years it was open.

Rexall was loud when we were winning as was Rogers when we were winning. Otherwise it's a lot of suits

Reactions: Jamin

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Worst PA announcer and worst goal song in the NHL IMO.

Goal song for sure, what the hell were they thinking? Does anyone there have any musical tastes? UGH might as well have made it Nickelback, it's THAT bad. The only good thing about scoring droughts and being shutout is not having to hear that terrible crap.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
It's eons better than DEE-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah, DEE-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah, DEE-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->