Rogers Place Construction :: Part V: Mod warning #846

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have worked in construction for over 6 years now and usually when you have a project ahead of schedule it's because the work force is doing an amazing job not the other way around. There are so many variables to this that you are ignoring it's unbelievable. Scheduling is scheduling. I have been on jobs where it was a joke that could never be kept up with and some where it was incredibly realistic. I could care less if you like the project or pcl or whatever but the men who are actually putting the work in are doing a hell of a job and deserve praise.

So much this.

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
I remember asking a similar question of a local government employee a few years ago... "why do you always see these highway construction sites with people just sitting around watching one person work?"

The answer was interesting. Some of it is because some of the equipment / operators are so specialized that they have to rotate some of those people around different job sites, and nobody else is allowed to touch that stuff for safety / certification / you'll-get-your-nasty-fingerprints-all-over-it reasons. And the site often has to be prepped for that ____ machine or whatever, so the guys sitting around just got finished busting their backs doing so. In addition, you have to give concrete X amount of time to cure before performing the next step. Or the workers may be taking turns on a physically intensive task.

Now that's just what I heard, and I have precisely zilch for knowledge of the construction trade, so I have no way to verify if there's any truth to that or not. It did made sense at the time.

Can anyone chime in on that?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the weather would've been a factor they would've upped the labor. It's really that simple. All that is happening now is the contractors are making more money than expected and won't face a penalty.

The other thing too is they talked last year or the year before about how they put a rush on certain aspects as they wanted to be sure that weather wouldn't effect them.

On projects like this that are scheduled so tightly with weekly updates, they make adjustments based on all the variables. This isn't the Oilers that take years before adjusting how they do things.

You can bet your ass if the weather was an issue that PCL would be pulling crews from other job sites to make sure things are being complete on this project. Happens all the time

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I remember asking a similar question of a local government employee a few years ago... "why do you always see these highway construction sites with people just sitting around watching one person work?"

The answer was interesting. Some of it is because some of the equipment / operators are so specialized that they have to rotate some of those people around different job sites, and nobody else is allowed to touch that stuff for safety / certification / you'll-get-your-nasty-fingerprints-all-over-it reasons. And the site often has to be prepped for that ____ machine or whatever, so the guys sitting around just got finished busting their backs doing so. In addition, you have to give concrete X amount of time to cure before performing the next step. Or the workers may be taking turns on a physically intensive task.

Now that's just what I heard, and I have precisely zilch for knowledge of the construction trade, so I have no way to verify if there's any truth to that or not. It did made sense at the time.

Pretty much. It just looks bad because you have a group of guys all in one spot. There is a lot of waiting at times when waiting for materials which really screws stuff up.

The real key in a huge project like this with numerous trades is that there is probably someone on break at any given time anyway.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
The progress has been nothing short of spectacular:

2 years ago today:
OEE5lUX.png

1 year ago:
SF9JhKX.png

Today:
oFNtJMf.png

http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse/

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Maybe not Construction, but concrete spreading is very similar to waxing. Being a Custodian for 11 years, I know that waxing is a one man job, but the prepping takes 2-3 people. Same can be said about concrete laying. How can you have 8 guys running 1 concrete laying machine? That's like asking the question "How many people does it take to screw in a light bulb?" :laugh:

Edit: If anyone is worried or wondering if the Arena job is done, you could always ask Shane Jones, Former Global News Weekend Anchor who now works for PCL on Twitter. He is pretty chill.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I have no idea what the build time is for a big awesome arena project like this is typically. The Empire State Building was built in 1 year right? :popcorn:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
:shakehead

For concrete pads, in my experience, it takes as a minimum:

1 person to run the truck
1 person to run the pump(if required)
1-2 to handle the pump line(if pumped) or run wheel-barrows into place(if not pumped)
1 to run the vibrator (yes really)
2-3 to skreed and float
1 to operate the motor float

And that's just for a small pad. Larger pads mean more trucks, more pumps, more manpower required. Some of the personnel are able to swap in and out task to task during the pour, others cannot. Depends on experience and skill. You can easily end up with 2-5 guys waiting if a truck doesn't arrive in a timely fashion

I don't know what the Shaking the head has to do with me being wrong, but I did say at the beginning I know that everyone can't be doing the same job. There's going to be people who are waiting for the next step the prep it. DOn't think it was necessary to put that emote in :P

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I don't know what the Shaking the head has to do with me being wrong, but I did say at the beginning I know that everyone can't be doing the same job. There's going to be people who are waiting for the next step the prep it. DOn't think it was necessary to put that emote in :P

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were making an erroneous commentary on the manpower requirements of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad