Rogers Place Construction :: Part V: Mod warning #846

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well I'm off to work - gotta drive under the Oil Drop on The Tin Palace. Of course as usual, I'll be shaking my head at the slackers hanging around in the shade with their smokes and cell-phones. Does anybody yell at these guys now and then to get back to work, or is that a no-no in today's construction world?

Yes, it is safe to assume that the tiny few seconds you saw those workers as you drove by completely represents how they have been working/acting all day (All the time even). Well done.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well I'm off to work - gotta drive under the Oil Drop on The Tin Palace. Of course as usual, I'll be shaking my head at the slackers hanging around in the shade with their smokes and cell-phones. Does anybody yell at these guys now and then to get back to work, or is that a no-no in today's construction world?

You should maybe go work for one of these companies and see how things actually go down.

oiler-dude

It's crazy how they even managed to get the roof completed with such lazy workers. You should apply to be their PM, Bitmore. The Oilers would've been playing at Rogers last season if you were in charge, I'm confident of it.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007

Assuming you're serious, have you considered that they might be on a break?

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010

Hey where do you work? I would like to go there and shout at you to 'get your ass in gear' whenever you take a break.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

<mod edit>
good to see you again.

So when it the last time there has been an official update? If they've stopped providing those, maybe they are falling behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
<mod edit>
good to see you again.

So when it the last time there has been an official update? If they've stopped providing those, maybe they are falling behind.

Must be because of all those lazy workers on smoke breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

of you 54 posts about 90% of all in the Rogers threads and there as not been one positive comment. Just curious what your agenda is or your bone to pick with the arena? Do you work for Northlands and are losing your job this fall? There is a pattern here and I think most have picked up on it--but obviously you have a problem with the build from top to problem? may I ask what it is?

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Does anyone know if the Oilers are moving their office too?

I believe a portion of the attached building that houses the community arena will also contain office space for the Oilers organization.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
<mod edit>
good to see you again.

I believe they said they were ahead of schedule when they poured the concrete a few weeks ago.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I believe they said they were ahead of schedule when they poured the concrete a few weeks ago.

I think people just assume they are behind because there has been little work on the areas that they actually have cameras on. They also said in that video that the jumbotron would be the next big thing to be completed so that should be soon.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I'm pumped that the Oilers are following the MSG model and will have an app showing you real time lineup times of places to eat, bathroom wait, etc

Pretty sure you will be able to order beer, etc from the app right to your seat from what my inside guy told me.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgarynext-city-report-torpedoes-project-1.3545509

It looks like our friends to the south's city council has shut down the CalgaryNext project. So do they move onto the threatening to move the team phase now? Should be interesting to watch the circus from afar this time.

In all truthfulness, this is just another ploy. Basic price anchoring. Now that there is a $1.8B price tag, a $450M won't seem so large. And it will be much more palatable. Plus it makes them seem like its a compromise.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm pumped that the Oilers are following the MSG model and will have an app showing you real time lineup times of places to eat, bathroom wait, etc

Pretty sure you will be able to order beer, etc from the app right to your seat from what my inside guy told me.

"Inside guy";)

This has been commonly stated for several years. Its been one of the service features described in the new arena.

All your friend has to do to be an insider is read the press releases..:laugh:

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
As for my beef with the Tin Palace, and the builders - let's just say I'm not overly impressed with the progress on the building. As mentioned already, they've had 2 years of the best possible weather conditions in Alberta. On top of that they have had no labour, equipment or supply shortages.

The labour market is swamped with highly skilled and experienced tradesmen. There are no strikes or crazy wage demands from anyone. This is the absolute perfect time to build The Tin Palace and yet...

Here we are after 2 years of the perfect storm for Poole, and they are just barely ahead of schedule. How is that even possible with every advantage falling in their favour? They should really be 2 months ahead of schedule at this point, not just a couple days or weeks.

The building looks good and all, but don't kid yourselves, this could have gone south in a big way if not every break possible had gone their way.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
As for my beef with the Tin Palace, and the builders - let's just say I'm not overly impressed with the progress on the building. As mentioned already, they've had 2 years of the best possible weather conditions in Alberta. On top of that they have had no labour, equipment or supply shortages.

The labour market is swamped with highly skilled and experienced tradesmen. There are no strikes or crazy wage demands from anyone. This is the absolute perfect time to build The Tin Palace and yet...

Here we are after 2 years of the perfect storm for Poole, and they are just barely ahead of schedule. How is that even possible with every advantage falling in their favour? They should really be 2 months ahead of schedule at this point, not just a couple days or weeks.

The building looks good and all, but don't kid yourselves, this could have gone south in a big way if not every break possible had gone their way.

"Things could have been worse if they had been worse!"

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So you're complaining for the sake of complaining. That's incredibly annoying.

Is the "Tin Palace" nickname supposed to be funny or something? Haha?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Why do you always insist on digging a hole for yourself when you post lol?

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray

I have worked in construction for over 6 years now and usually when you have a project ahead of schedule it's because the work force is doing an amazing job not the other way around. There are so many variables to this that you are ignoring it's unbelievable. Scheduling is scheduling. I have been on jobs where it was a joke that could never be kept up with and some where it was incredibly realistic. I could care less if you like the project or pcl or whatever but the men who are actually putting the work in are doing a hell of a job and deserve praise.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

There's a lot of assumptions and what seems like dashed hopes in this.

You don't get to speculate on how it could have gone wrong because you wish it did, it doesn't work that way.

The Building is on or ahead of Schedule and PCL has done all of this MASSIVE project without major set back (*Knock on Wood*)

If you have a problem with the building, that's Really Your Problem, not the Building's, not the builder's, not the rest of us.

Probably simplest to move on or just get over it, because it's going to get finished and it's going to be there a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->