Rogers dropping NHL rights makes Ohtani deal possible for Blue Jays ( If it happens )

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
While I do agree on the overpay aspect the thing is that now without Ohtani in Toronto they pretty much have to pay the NHL. I'm sure Gary celebrated the outcome of this contract.
I still think that Rogers and Bell team up for an offer for Rogers’ current national package to keep the streaming companies out.

I thought this was likely the case even if zohtani had chosen the Jays.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
This blew up in their faces. Fans are now asking 'since you have this money to spend' Jay's are fans are expecting the Jay's to go out and players

Yeah, not sure I agree. While I'm sure a few fans are making bone-headed demands, I think most knowledgeable people knew that Ohtani is both a unique talent, and would be uniquely profitable to the team.

That being said, given the type of contract the Dodgers had to sign it's possible the Jays dodged a bullet. Imagine so back-loading a contract that almost all of the costs are incurred after the player has stopped playing for you - it would mean that 2033-2042 would be dark days for the Jays.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
DAZN will take over the streaming rights
If that ever happened I could foresee Bell and Rogers running crying to their friends at the CRTC (Canada's version of FCC) and parliament complaining that over the top services should not be foreign owned and operate in Canada. And if the Liberals are still in power, they would probably grant them their wish.

Reactions: DoyleG

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If that ever happened I could foresee Bell and Rogers running crying to their friends at the CRTC (Canada's version of FCC) and parliament complaining that over the top services should not be foreign owned and operate in Canada. And if the Liberals are still in power, they would probably grant them their wish.

Liberals or Conservatives would do the same thing in this situation, the parties are very similar at the core.

But enough about Canadian politics... This whole rumor was started by Steve Simmons a TSN employee and the Phil Kessel hot dog guy it made very little sense when you actually think about it.

Anyways fully expecting Rogers and Bell will split the rights on the next deal or maybe CBC will get back into the game as a minor financial partner so the name hockey night in Canada will live on

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad