Rochester Americans: 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Looking at Johanssons stat lines it looks like he has struggled with consistancy his entire career. Sporting a 3+ GAA in the ECHL isnt exactly comforting knowing once Ullmark graduates the Sabres have who?

I know he's only 22 but goalies around his age have showed more potential at times. I am curious if anyone who watches the Cyclones can give me insight into Johansson.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking at Johanssons stat lines it looks like he has struggled with consistancy his entire career. Sporting a 3+ GAA in the ECHL isnt exactly comforting knowing once Ullmark graduates the Sabres have who?

I know he's only 22 but goalies around his age have showed more potential at times. I am curious if anyone who watches the Cyclones can give me insight into Johansson.

It's why I would like them to shop hard for UDFA netminders this spring.

Reactions: joshjull

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
There’s absolutely no way they could go into next season with Johansson as the starter. I wouldn’t even want him as a backup. It’ll be a good year to sign the best number 3 goalie money can buy.

Reactions: DJN21

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If we pretend that Botterill and Sexton aren't dumb, some of the call up and moves could make sense right now. Rochester is going to make the AHL playoffs, but as a low seed. Buffalo is going to be golfing in a few weeks. And right in time for the playoffs, here comes the cavalry: Ullmark, Rodrigues, Baptiste, Bailey, Guhle, Nelson. Even Antipin is waiver exempt. Botterill could also sign college free agent, especially those they have ties to, like Brickley. And then there's the possibility of getting Mittelstadt on an ATO prior to signing his ELC.

That's a stacked Rochester team that would make a ton of noise in the playoffs. Especially with a group of players coming from the Sabres with NHL experience. Probably the type of development in the playoffs Botterill is looking for.

Just a thought....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we pretend that Botterill and Sexton aren't dumb, some of the call up and moves could make sense right now. Rochester is going to make the AHL playoffs, but as a low seed. Buffalo is going to be golfing in a few weeks. And right in time for the playoffs, here comes the cavalry: Ullmark, Rodrigues, Baptiste, Bailey, Guhle, Nelson. Even Antipin is waiver exempt. Botterill could also sign college free agent, especially those they have ties to, like Brickley. And then there's the possibility of getting Mittelstadt on an ATO prior to signing his ELC.

That's a stacked Rochester team that would make a ton of noise in the playoffs. Especially with a group of players coming from the Sabres with NHL experience. Probably the type of development in the playoffs Botterill is looking for.

Just a thought....

Except they didn't make the paper moves with Antipin and Rodrigues to add them to the Amerks clearday roster so they are not eligible for the AHL playoffs. The "plan" seems to be send back whoever is still healthy enough to play, sign the draft picks and hope to sign some college UFA's. Granted NHL time to burn a year on an ELC is a selling point for UDFA -- this plan takes that off the table. Top UDFA usually want that.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Except they didn't make the paper moves with Antipin and Rodrigues to add them to the Amerks clearday roster so they are not eligible for the AHL playoffs. The "plan" seems to be send back whoever is still healthy enough to play, sign the draft picks and hope to sign some college UFA's. Granted NHL time to burn a year on an ELC is a selling point for UDFA -- this plan takes that off the table. Top UDFA usually want that.

I was not aware that they never made those moves with Antipin and ERod. Welp....

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I was surprised and disappointed by that with Erod.

I've wondered with Antipin though if there was an agreement that he doesn't go to the AHL as part of him coming over. Because during the season that would have been valuable to all involved instead of simply sitting him.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Justin Bailey was a little surprised. He had never been suspended before, so when he got the phone call from Rochester Americans coach Chris Taylor, he was taken aback a little bit. But when he watched the video, he saw he indeed did hit Syracuse Crunch defenseman Reid McNeill too high in Sunday's game in BlueCross Arena. Bailey was suspended for one game by the American Hockey League for an illegal hit to the head.

But that suspension will have to wait. Bailey was recalled by the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday. If and when he returns to Rochester this season, he will have to serve the one-game suspension before playing. Unlike the NHL, there is no appeals process for player suspensions in the AHL.

Sabres Notebook: Bailey call-up delays AHL suspension

Buffalo Sabres‏ @BuffaloSabres -
We've assigned forward Justin Bailey to @AmerksHockey.

John Vogl‏ @BuffNewsVogl -
We'll learn more after practice, but it's possible the Sabres have "sent down" Justin Bailey so he can serve his one-game AHL suspension today. That would be smart move.

The Sabres have indeed sent Justin Bailey to Rochester. He'll sit out today's game to serve his suspension, and it's easy to assume he'll be back in Buffalo for Monday's game against Nashville.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
6-4 road loss. Nice to see Smith getting back on the scoresheet with a hatty. Beyond that... Nylander with a primary assist out of his three. *shrug* I got nothing.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Scoring
1st
1:52RCHC.J. Smith (15) ASST: Alexander Nylander (16), Colin Blackwell (21)
5:02RCHC.J. Smith (16) ASST: Colin Blackwell (22), Alexander Nylander (17)
9:34HFDChris Bigras (2) ASST: Dan DeSalvo (7), Gabriel Fontaine (7)
2nd
7:39RCHArvin Atwal (2) ASST: Garret Ross (4), Eric Cornel (9)
12:10HFDVinni Lettieri (18) ASST: Brenden Kotyk (1), John Albert (10)
13:31HFDHubert Labrie (2) ASST: Simon Denis (3), Filip Chytil (20)
19:16HFDBrenden Kotyk (1) ASST: Dan Catenacci (10)
3rd
11:02RCHC.J. Smith (17) ASST: Matt Tennyson (7), Alexander Nylander(18)
16:29HFDDan Catenacci (5) ASST: Cole Schneider (27), Chris Bigras (9)
19:07HFDVinni Lettieri (19) ASST: Cole Schneider (28) (EN)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
LetsGoAmerks tweeted that Nylander's assists were quality assists.

Here's one where he's strong on the backcheck, breaks up the play, and it goes the other way for a Smith goal.

Here's a nice primary assist, great feed from beneath the goal line to Smith.

There is progress being made.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Sabres‏ @BuffaloSabres -
We've assigned forward Justin Bailey to @AmerksHockey.
John Vogl‏ @BuffNewsVogl -
We'll learn more after practice, but it's possible the Sabres have "sent down" Justin Bailey so he can serve his one-game AHL suspension today. That would be smart move.
The Sabres have indeed sent Justin Bailey to Rochester. He'll sit out today's game to serve his suspension, and it's easy to assume he'll be back in Buffalo for Monday's game against Nashville.

John Vogl‏@BuffNewsVogl -
No surprise - Sabres have “recalled” Justin Bailey from Rochester.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad