RoboCop: Rogue City (Nov 2, 2023)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
From the developers of Rambo: The Video Game and Terminator: Resistance (of course) and for PC, PlayStation 5, XBox Series X|S and Switch:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Sep 19, 2008
ooh i'm intrigued

hasn't been a robocop game in a while. i remember one for NES

1686314578398.png

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I share the previewer's concern about the lack of mobility and challenge and worry that the gameplay might get old. Still, it should be fun to play as RoboCop for at least a while and it has the original trilogy aesthetic, the original theme music and Peter Weller reprising his role, all of which I'm happy to see. I'm not sure how good of a "game" it'll end up being, but it's likely to be nostalgic and a fantasy trip.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I share the previewer's concern about the lack of mobility and challenge and worry that the gameplay might get old. Still, it should be fun to play as RoboCop for at least a while and it has the original trilogy aesthetic, the original theme music and Peter Weller reprising his role, all of which I'm happy to see. I'm not sure how good of a "game" it'll end up being, but it's likely to be nostalgic and a fantasy trip.
Yea i'm not sure how it will hold up over 20-30 hours but i like the LA Noire type vibe it gives off with the investigations. Though I'm not sure how in depth those will be.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I really enjoyed Terminator Resistance so I'm looking forward to this one. I mainly hope they keep with a similar world design where it's semi-open but a smaller, more detailed world. Too many open world games just feel empty to me whereas Terminator Resistance had something useful in every corner. Hopefully they keep to that approach.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It comes out today. Most YouTube reviews seem positive and the Metacritic scores are in the 70-78 range. IGN gave it a 7/10 and called it "good."

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Terminator Resistance was in the 50-60 range on Metacritic. Both Terminator and Robocop have well over 90% positive reviews on Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a case where it's a AA game so reviews are a bit more harsh from critics while gamers go in with more realistic expectations and enjoy it more.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I realize this game is a licensed game so they probably need to charge more, but with AA games like ghostrunner 2 and helldivers 2 launching below full price, this one don’t look as good.

Edit: just realized this game is full price on console but not on pc.
Terminator Resistance was in the 50-60 range on Metacritic. Both Terminator and Robocop have well over 90% positive reviews on Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a case where it's a AA game so reviews are a bit more harsh from critics while gamers go in with more realistic expectations and enjoy it more.
I heard terminator is one of those games you need to play on hard to appreciate, which a game reviewer probably isn’t gonna do.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Played about 5 1/2 hours on PS5

It's a wee bit buggy but I had a blast with it.

If you want to check it out and see.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Everyone seems to be really enjoying this game. Going to add it to my very shortlist of games to eventually get.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm about 5 hours in and enjoy it. Probably the first FPS game i've played in a decade. Difficulty isn't too hard which I like.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished it a few weeks ago. I thought that it was OK. The two best things about it are how it captures the feeling of the movie and being RoboCop and how satisfying and violent the gunplay is. It reminded me of the old first-person arcade shooters because you have limited mobility and the amount of damage that you take is largely determined by how quickly you can take down the targets. I like to stay relatively still in single player shooters while I aim, so this gameplay suited me well. If you enjoy shooting ranges, all of the combat is like that. You can shoot body parts off, which is fun and would make Paul Verhoeven proud.

The two worst things about the game are probably the world/level design and side missions. You spend half of the game in only two maps: the relatively small police station and a relatively small neighborhood that you visit over and over. The latter allows you to explore a bit, but there's not much to do outside of a few objectives. The rest of the maps are very linear. The side missions are some of the worst that I've seen in a game. For example, one is to fetch a towel from a locker room, another is to find and rescue a cat and a bunch more are to give out parking tickets. Being a towel boy, feline savior and meter maid all felt beneath RoboCop and like padding to make the game last longer (but even doing them all, the game takes less than 10 hours to beat).

So, there's some good, some bad. It's not a great "game," IMO, but is worth playing, anyways, if you're a fan of RoboCop.

Last edited:
Reactions: SimGrindcore

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I finished it a few weeks ago. I thought that it was OK. The two best things about it are how it captures the feeling of the movie and being RoboCop and how satisfying and violent the gunplay is. It reminded me of the old first-person arcade shooters because you have limited mobility and the amount of damage that you take is largely determined by how quickly you can take down the targets. I like to stay relatively still in single player shooters while I pick off targets, so this gameplay suited me well. If you enjoy shooting ranges, all of the combat is like that.

The two worst things about the game are probably the world/level design and side missions. You spend half of the game in only two maps: the relatively small police station and a relatively small city map that you visit over and over. The latter allows you to explore a bit, but there's not much to do unless you have an objective/mission, which tend to lead to smaller maps that are very linear. The side missions in the game are some of the dumbest and laziest that I've seen in a game. For example, one is to fetch a towel from a locker room, another is to find and rescue a cat (yes, RoboCop rescues cats now) and a bunch more are to give out parking tickets. I can't think of a single side mission that added any value to the game.

So, there's some good, some bad. It's not a great "game," IMO, but is worth playing, anyways, if you're a fan of RoboCop.
It took me 5 minutes to find that f***ing towel :rant:

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad