Robin Big Snake

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Hunter Gathers, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    Anyone know why he was released from the Winter Hawks!?

2. Moskau

Moskau Registered User

Lockerroom disturbance? :dunno:

I heard he made others around him feel bad about themselves.

3. Tipped Off

Tipped Off Registered User

Home Page:
    here's the reason

Winter Hawks Drop Robin Big Snake from Roster
    Dean Vrooman - October 12, 2004
    The Portland Winter Hawks announced today that they have dropped 20-year-old forward Robin Big Snake from their playing roster.

“We realize this will come as a surprise,†said Portland Coach Mike Williamson, who made the final decision. “What happens in the dressing room of a hockey team stays in the dressing room of a hockey team, but we had an issue following Sunday night’s game that I felt could not be resolved. The team as a whole is the most important part of what all of us are doing. I feel to have any chance to win in this league, we as a team have to all be pulling in the same direction. It was apparent to me this could not happen with Robin on our team.â€

“I want Robin and all the fans to know how much we appreciated the good things he did, on and off the ice, during his time with the Winter Hawks,†Williamson added. “He really enjoyed being with the fans at our team functions, was really good with kids and always went over and above when he was in that venue. And, when Robin is team focused on the ice, he can be an asset to any hockey team. But, for whatever reason, we were unable to get Robin to channel his competitiveness and talent, which are two of his biggest assets, in the right direction. Unfortunately, I felt he was a distraction to what we need to do as a team and Sunday night it got to the point where I had to act.â€

The Winter Hawks lost their second game in a row, 4-1, to Lethbridge Sunday in Memorial Coliseum.

Portland General Manager Ken Hodge spent Monday trying to trade Big Snake to another team in the WHL, but was unsuccessful. Williamson felt that he had to deal with this issue before the Hawks took to the ice to practice today in Memorial Coliseum. So, he told Big Snake this morning of the team’s decision. Big Snake is going back to Alberta pending further developments.

“Perhaps part of the reason Robin was having trouble here is he may have been focused on his pro hockey career instead of making the Winter Hawks his top priority,†Williamson said. “I can understand that, to some extent. He apparently had a terrific camp at Hartford and nearly signed a contract because they saw all the positive things we see day in and day out with Robin.â€

“I believe he is going to have to come to grips with what makes any hockey team successful. No matter what level of hockey he plays, and we hope he has a great career, I think he is going to have to learn some things and realize he needs to make some changes. Hopefully, when he reflects on what happened here, he will make those changes. If he does, in my opinion, he can be a big part of whatever team he plays for next, be it in our league, orin pro hockey.â€

4. Hunter Gathers

Corporate Drone
    I read that. I was wondering if anyone had any more "insider" information on it. I know he caused some disturbance with his aggression and whatnot, but it still doesn't seem like a good enough reason to outright release him.

5. andora

andora Registered User

good, i hope he goes and works north or something, just stay out of a rink

6. fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja Registered User

Wow...

Well I can tell you what I heard happened in the game. I know this as www.blackhawkzone.com generally updates prospect games. Apparantly Seabrook ran Big Snake, and it was over the line(blatant X check in the back, into the boards from what I recall). This particular person is local, and was somewhat surprised that nobody went after Seabrook later...

Now I haven't reread the report, but a kid like big snake- who makes a living on sticking up for teammates... any chance that he flipped out that nobody came to his aid?!?! Or apparantly there could be a reason that nobody came to his aid?

Just a thought

-fullmetalninja

7. Emerald City Bruin

Emerald City Bruin I-90 W for 2500mi

Accoriding to that report and from what I heard on the radio, Halifax did stick up for him.

8. Hunter Gathers

Corporate Drone
    Well, he REALLY impressed the guys in Hartford. He was nearly tendered an offer, but they wanted him to play one more junior year (as the roster is basically full). He might get that contract now...

9. andora

andora Registered User

well, it is the rangers (;)sorry)... but i've seen too much of him the last few years, ALL he can do properly is fight, can't skate, pass, hold onto the puck, dump the puck, come over the boards properly, coordinate his socks to appear in unison, tape his stick properly, get his jersey on straight etc...

as you can see, i feel he is useless whenever his gloves are on :)

10. fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja Registered User

I don't know one way or the other, I'm in chicago. But seems like an odd set of events, certainly.

-fullmetalninja

11. maximil

maximil Registered User

Home Page:
    From the point of view of an outsider I'd say this has hazing written all over it.

Pure speculation on my part. :dunno:

12. Emerald City Bruin

I know you guys are just messing around, but as a Native, I do take offense to the mockery of someone's name. These names have tribal significance to those that have them and they take a lot of pride in that.

13. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Home Page:
    I wouldn't take it as bad hearted mockery. And don't tell me you never thought about that name in "a naughty way".

14. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

Understandable, but don't worry too much about it. There are a couple of non-native names who get people a lot of heat too.

The last name "Butt" for instance, really gets some reactions. Big Snake is probably the worse name a guy can have on this board, when you know half the posters would sport boobies as avatars if not for restrictions. You just know sex references are going to pop up lie crazy around here.

15. Emerald City Bruin

I'm not overly worried about it. I can see the temptation to make fun of it. I just wanted people to realize that this name wasn't picked arbitrarily or made up. It does mean something. I'm not a member of his tribe so I couldn't tell you exactly but I'm sure it has significance.

I realize it happens. I stated my point. It's over to me. :)

16. Ola

Ola Registered User

Lawyer
    He was named after the first animal his mother saw after his birth.

17. Epsilon

Epsilon #TeamHolland

If anything, his name gets him a lot more attention than his skills warrant. If his name was John Smith, he'd just be regarded as another stiff from the WHL.

18. clefty

clefty Retrovertigo

Home Page:
  19. andora

andora Registered User

20. kmad

kmad riot survivor

Not nearly as much as Jean-Luc Grand-pierre.

21. Kitsune

Kitsune Registered User

Home Page:
    Just heard and confirmed that Big Snake has signed with the Owen Sound Attack of the OHL. He'll likely be in the Attack lineup tomorrow night in Saginaw(MI).

22. Buannan

Buannan Registered User

just to back you up
    ;)

and I quoted a bit of it that is interesting

http://www.attackhockey.com/news_detail.asp?varID=233

"...Big Snake had a try out with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League this past September. The Wolf Pack is the farm team for the New York Rangers. Rangers Assistant General Manager Don Maloney said that Big Snake likely would have signed with Hartford if not for the NHL lockout this season..."

23. Baron Von Shark

Baron Von Shark Registered User

Home Page:
    How do the CHL territorial rights work? I always thought that to play in the OHL, you had to be from Ontario, to play in the WHL...Western Canada, etc.???

24. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    That must just be for the draft only. Once that team releases your rights, you must be free to go wherever you want (or wherever you're wanted).

25. Emerald City Bruin

Well you have to clear league waivers before you can join a new league. Once you clear waivers, the territorial restrictions no longer apply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.