GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If true. What a piece of garbage.

WRMq4MMApzBeg

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Coming from the Toronto PD i assume it's probably true.

(update)

He's gone. Don't really care how good he is, people have to learn this **** doesn't fly.

In an unrelated story, the rest of the AL East congratulates Tyler Clippard on winning the Jays closer job.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Goddamn.

That really sucks.

The writeup on TSN didn't mention anything about it being domestic so I thought maybe just a punchup outside a bar or something.

But....yeah. Brutal.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If true and he gets convicted (a bit of a ways away) I think he's done with the jays.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I forget what happened with Jose Reyes but it was a similar circumstance, no?

I seem to recall his arrest being in the offseason in Colorado.....did he play for them again before popping back up with the Mets?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Osuna this year, Pillar last year, Colabello the year before.

Seems like the Jays are just one-upping eachother in the "who can **** up the most" game.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I forget what happened with Jose Reyes but it was a similar circumstance, no?

I seem to recall his arrest being in the offseason in Colorado.....did he play for them again before popping back up with the Mets?

Reyes wasn't even convicted and was suspended 51 games. MLB has ability to suspend, guilty or not.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Manford has set the guideline for relievers between 30-50 games so that's the suspension he'll be looking at imo

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Manford has set the guideline for relievers between 30-50 games so that's the suspension he'll be looking at imo

I'd be very surprised if there's a variance in punishment depending on the player's position. '

What difference does it make if Osuna's a pitcher? Punishment should be the same across the board, no?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He’s probably not gone looking at recent comparisons. He’s too good and too young for the Jays to jettison him unless he goes to prison.

Extremely upsetting and more than a little bit awful in any event.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I know this doesn’t matter in the scheme of things with Osuna being a POS, but fantasy wise time to unload this clown? Or wait it out?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'd be very surprised if there's a variance in punishment depending on the player's position. '

What difference does it make if Osuna's a pitcher? Punishment should be the same across the board, no?
Actually not in baseball. Typically suspensions are issued based on the players relevance position wise. Example:

Ventura, Volquez, Sale and Samardzija were each suspended 5+ games (1 start each) while reliever Herrera and outfielder Cain only got 2 games despite having equal involvement. If the starters were also only suspended 2 games, it wouldn't effect their teams at all.

he plays a position with either more or less significance than a lineup guy

exactly

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Suspension length has varied, as Aroldis Chapman was suspended 30 games, Familia 15 games and Steven Wright 15 games.

Depends on the details the MLB has and the severity of the incident. Chapman allegedly threatened her with guns and shot them off in the garage. Hence the 30 games.

Unlike the NFL, I don't believe Manfred has the power of judge/jury/executioner. If the MLB's domestic violence department says he should get 10 games, Manfred will likely give him that many, maybe a few more.

The issue with pitchers is that when a position player is suspended for 15 games, he is suspended for 15 games. For a starter he will miss 3, maybe 4 starts. & for a closer he might really only miss half of those games as its unlikely he'd have played in all or most of them. yes there is always the option he could be thrown into a marathon game but those aren't common.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Depends on the details the MLB has and the severity of the incident. Chapman allegedly threatened her with guns and shot them off in the garage. Hence the 30 games.

The issue with pitchers is that when a position player is suspended for 15 games, he is suspended for 15 games. For a starter he will miss 3, maybe 4 starts. & for a closer he might really only miss half of those games as its unlikely he'd have played in all or most of them. yes there is always the option he could be thrown into a marathon game but those aren't common.

I just assumed the punishment would be his removal from the team for that length of time, not the amount of in-game apperances he would've had.

I mean, suspend a pitcher 50 games and that's almost two full seasons if we're talking starts. :laugh:

That's why I figured it would be a uniform suspension length regardless of position. You're off the team until this date, or this game. See you in a month.

It'll be interesting to see what the league does with Osuna. I'd be stunned if he's pitching for the Jays as early as next week. Not a great look but if that's what the league wants, so be it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
MLB continuing their efforts to keep Osuna off the diamond; smart move I'd say.

He'd be quite the distraction on an already-miserable Jays lineup.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Osuna intends to plead not guilty.

Meanwhile, he sits on the sidelines, still getting paid, "administrative leave" pushed back yet again to June 25th, but they'll keep at it since he's not back in court til July 9th.

Man, this is gonna drag on for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad