Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Craig Button is highlighting players for the Canadian WJ roster on TSN. Today was Robert Thomas' turn and Button compared him to Patrice Bergeron.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Craig Button is highlighting players for the Canadian WJ roster on TSN. Today was Robert Thomas' turn and Button compared him to Patrice Bergeron.

I'd dance through the streets naked if Thomas ever hits that level. To have a 2-way #1C that at the same time can shutdown opponents top line while still putting up 60 point season is just unheard of in STL.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Are we at the point now were we consider Thomas are best overall forward prospect (and, most likely, our best overall prospect)? It feels like his downside at this point is 3rd Line Center, with a 1st Line Center upside, and it's been a long long time since we've had a prospect we could make that claim for.

Reactions: Celtic Note

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
With Dunn graduated, and factoring in this season for everyone, he'd be my #1 at this moment. Our top group are all very close though, and it's difficult to properly rank them when they are all at different levels. How do you compare the start of Thomas/Kyrou to Thompson/Blais? Two are dominating juniors, and the other 2 are having productive seasons in the AHL.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
ever since i watched thomas's games from the end of last year. He's been #1 to me atleast forwards wise. I see a lot more giroux in his game than anyone, mainly due to his vision, hands and playmaking ability, he really sees the ice unbelievably and has great instincts and ability to find his teammates quick k through tight windows. Just watched a few of his summer showcase games again and even though he didn't play a ton (since they want to look at other guys) I came away very impressed yet again.

I see him as a 15-20G and 45-50 Assist center in the future.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'm sure that was one of the major things Berube and the other coaches told him he really needed to work on. As Ranksu pointed out in the pre-season, his FO% was terrible.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Thomas is pretty easily ranked #1 on my current prospects list.

I don’t want to get too high on the kid but he’s been super impressive.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Thomas is number one by a lot. But that’s both a combination of Thomas being amazing and Thompson and Barbashev being less impressive or me before, during, and after draft day. Kyrou intrigues me, but I tend to be reserved with my expectations for small, skilled, non-pedigree players (similar, I guess, to Blais). I was all aboard the Parayko hype train early on, and knew Fabbs was special, but although I have high hopes for Kyrou, I’m not putting any eggs in that basket.

So Thompson is easily our best prospect, and Walman comes in second overall.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And Kyrou was drafted 35th overall, so not like he's non-pedigree, basically the same spot as Kostin and Barbashev.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thomas is number one by a lot. But that’s both a combination of Thomas being amazing and Thompson and Barbashev being less impressive or me before, during, and after draft day. Kyrou intrigues me, but I tend to be reserved with my expectations for small, skilled, non-pedigree players (similar, I guess, to Blais). I was all aboard the Parayko hype train early on, and knew Fabbs was special, but although I have high hopes for Kyrou, I’m not putting any eggs in that basket.

So Thompson is easily our best prospect, and Walman comes in second overall.
Kyrou is 6ft tall....He's not small. Blais possesses nothing in Kyrou's trick bag.

Kyrou is in his own regarding our prospects, we don't have anyone else like him.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I thought he was 5’10”. I didn’t mean to compare Blais and Kyrou in terms of skill - more so that they both are rising. Blais more so than Kyrou, but I always viewed Blais as a guy that kept surprising, but would eventually stop overcoming low expectations. It seemed like in every league he ended up being better than expected. I never expected him to look so good as a pro.

I also never expected Kyrou to be this impressive. We really need to see him in the AHL, but if he can continue to show elite skill, he might be a taller Johnny Hockey.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'd dance through the streets naked if Thomas ever hits that level. To have a 2-way #1C that at the same time can shutdown opponents top line while still putting up 60 point season is just unheard of in STL.

That actually sounds like an exact description of prime David Backes. Different styles of course ... and yeah, would be thrilled if Thomas can become that. I'll keep my pants on though. :snide:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I think Button was just giving an idea of the impact he can have against other kids, not his future projection. Bergeron is a pretty lofty comparison. Stepan seems more fair to me.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

That was David Backes for a brief spell, no?

Edit: post above me nailed it.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Backes was originally drafted was a winger. I don't recall a lot of conversation about him playing center until his 2nd year with the Blues. Then in 09-10 he finally made that switch to center full time. I don't want to discredit what Backes did at all. I'm just saying I don't recall the last time the Blues had a prospect at center that has had that comparison. I don't expect Thomas to reach that level at all. Heck I would count my blessings if he would reach Schwartz's ability to play in all situations like Jaden does.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That was David Backes for a brief spell, no?

Edit: post above me nailed it.

Backes only hit 60 once. He had several 54-58 point seasons though. He was definitely limited by his heavy defensive usage and in his prime could have hit 60 easily if used more offensively. But he didn't. Bergeron is on another level point-wise. He has several 60 point seasons and even a couple 70 point seasons. Backes career average is 51 over 82 games. Bergeron is a full 10.5 points higher than that. Backes was great and nothing to sneeze at. But players like Bergeron as unheard of pretty much everywhere.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Backes only hit 60 once. He had several 54-58 point seasons though. He was definitely limited by his heavy defensive usage and in his prime could have hit 60 easily if used more offensively. But he didn't. Bergeron is on another level point-wise. He has several 60 point seasons and even a couple 70 point seasons. Backes career average is 51 over 82 games. Bergeron is a full 10.5 points higher than that. Backes was great and nothing to sneeze at. But players like Bergeron as unheard of pretty much everywhere.

Sure, but his reply had nothing to do with Bergeron, he was simply saying that while Backes was here, he provided shutdown defense, with 2 seasons of 60+ point pace production, and a few others in the mid/high 50s.

No where has anyone made the comparison of Backes and Bergeron.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sure, but his reply had nothing to do with Bergeron, he was simply saying that while Backes was here, he provided shutdown defense, with 2 seasons of 60+ point pace production, and a few others in the mid/high 50s.

No where has anyone made the comparison of Backes and Bergeron.

Read the previous posts. It was implied through quoting of other posts. The original post that started the discussion was about comparing Thomas to Bergeron.

Piggy was saying it would be cool if he hits Bergeron levels.

(*Side note - I really don't want to see someone named Piggy Smalls dance naked). Even if he didn't use Bergeron's name he said "that level" quoting the post comparing Thomas to Bergeron. The inference is clear. He would love for Thomas to hit Bergeron's level, which he attempted to describe. I was explaining why Backes, although he could technical fit the description, was not at Bergeron's level. Saying it had nothing to do with Bergeron is completely ignoring the context of how the discussion developed, and I believe, Piggy's point. He'd dance through the streets for Bergeron v2.0, not necessarily Backes II.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Thomas was scratched last night for London. Does anyone know if this is injury related or just away for some pre-WJC camp stuff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->