Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Where would Thomas rank in a re-draft? Any chance he cracks top 10? top 15?
Very good chance he would crack top 15. It’s possible he’d crack top 10. I think he would go right around #10 in a redraft...possibly higher.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
he might move up a few spots but how would he be top 10? he doesnt pass THAT many people ahead of him plus tolvanen has passed him and guys like frost and chytil have arguably caught up

Reactions: KirkOut

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I don't really see Thomas as a top-10 pick as of yet. The only guys who were drafted ahead of him that I think of being clearly below him are Norris, Suzuki, Tippett, Rasmussen and Foote. I can see an argument having Thomas over Brannstrom and Vaakaneinen, but I'm more inclined to think that playing in a pro-league has more weight than in a junior league. But even after all of that, he's only be ahead of seven other guys, and that's disregarding other prospects that I think could have an argument being ahead of Thomas.

But looking into this matter, I'm kind of shocked by Tolvanen, as it seems to be a tale of two seasons for him. He killed the first half of the year, but ever since November 17th, he's only amassed 1 goal and 6 points. In the first half he had 29 points in 28 games, but he's slowed down a lot since then, and I wasn't that impressed by him in the WJC either. He definitely deserves to be drafted higher, but I did find that fact rather surprising.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't really see Thomas as a top-10 pick as of yet. The only guys who were drafted ahead of him that I think of being clearly below him are Norris, Suzuki, Tippett, Rasmussen and Foote. I can see an argument having Thomas over Brannstrom and Vaakaneinen, but I'm more inclined to think that playing in a pro-league has more weight than in a junior league. But even after all of that, he's only be ahead of seven other guys, and that's disregarding other prospects that I think could have an argument being ahead of Thomas.

But looking into this matter, I'm kind of shocked by Tolvanen, as it seems to be a tale of two seasons for him. He killed the first half of the year, but ever since November 17th, he's only amassed 1 goal and 6 points. In the first half he had 29 points in 28 games, but he's slowed down a lot since then, and I wasn't that impressed by him in the WJC either. He definitely deserves to be drafted higher, but I did find that fact rather surprising.
No one is really a stand out that was drafted before him that's not top 5. Viliardi is the only one that really comes to mind.

As for Tolvanen...id assume the league has adjusted to him

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I was wondering about Thomas in a redraft.

Just as interesting is where Kyrou would rank in a redraft.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Button put him 6 and only 2 ahead of him NHLers so that would push him to 8. Can quibble on whether that is right #, but consensus seems to be he is up to top 10.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I don't care where he was drafted. All I care about is that he is Blues property and the potential that he has.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I don't care where he was drafted. All I care about is that he is Blues property and the potential that he has.
Not according to Grant McCagg and other Montreal loyal twitter/blog writers. He is going to be a :habs and the :blues are lucky that we are getting Patches right now because we have never won the cup and mortgaging our future is the only way we will. You know, because
1) We are in "win now" mode
2) Patches "could"be better in in the playoffs on another team
3) The :blues have Fabbri,Kyrou,TT that are centers
4) Fans cannot wait 2 more years for a cup.
These are the same "professional" hockey writers that say "Peter-An-Jello"...
.. I hate this more than the Shattenkirk days.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Montreal is going to be disappointed in the return they get. They can cite the Duchene trade all they want but there's 30 other GMs took note on how bad of a trade that was.

As for RT, he's not going anywhere

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Just curious as an Oilers fan, why do you guys say that Robert Thomas would go higher in a redraft? He seems to be having a lacklustre D+1 season in Hamilton, based on just statwatching.

Also, what do you think of a Draisaitl + prospect for Parayko for Thomas trade?

You guys could have a top line of Tarasenko, Draisaitl, and Kyrou, and then Scwartz and Schenn on the next.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Why would you want Thomas? Didn’t you just say he had a lack luster year? You don’t really believe that comment do you?

Top 5 in scoring in The playoffs. But I will also say he hasn’t meshed as well with the Bulldogs as he did with the Knights.

As for the Trade, no thanks. Dria for Colt has been beaten to death. Pretty much fair value, but Edmonton is short scoring. Blues are weak on the right side after Shatty left. Loses of both players just fill one hole to patch another. Which is why you tossed Thomas in. You don’t have a prospect that would make up the difference and will in as a top 4 right handed D.

Blues will be a better team with CP and Thomas over Dria + whatever.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Just curious as an Oilers fan, why do you guys say that Robert Thomas would go higher in a redraft? He seems to be having a lacklustre D+1 season in Hamilton, based on just statwatching.

You guys could have a top line of Tarasenko, Draisaitl, and Kyrou, and then Scwartz and Schenn on the next.
The biggest knock on him going into the draft was his goalscoring, 19 in 80 games last season. This season it is 29 in 54.

Not sure how 7th in PPG in the OHL is "lacklustre", and a big part of the reason why it was only 7th was that he took about 6 weeks to adjust after being traded to Hamilton. Since the start of March he is 5-18-23 in 12 games.

All while playing one of the, if not the, most complete games in the OHL.

The Hockey News had an article last week putting him 9th in a redraft, whatever weight you want to put into that.

As for the trade, no interest at all in moving Thomas.

Reactions: Majorityof1

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
No thank you.

I'm greedy so I want Thomas at 3C and Tavares at 1C.

Tavares, Schenn, Thomas and Brodziak down the middle....don't pinch me brah, gotta stretch this fantasy out till early July when it can become reality.

Reactions: HighNote

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
As Alklha said, Thomas struggled a bit after the trade. You could read whatever you want into that as a knock against him, if not for the fact that he righted the ship and started tearing it up again. He finished 7th in ppg despite that awful stretch. He has a good 2-way game to boot.

As for the trade, I have long been in favor of a Parayko/Draisaitl swap. However, that ship has sailed. Even though Draisaitl has hit his potential, and I feel Parayko hasn't quite, I still wouldn't do it straight up (much less trading Thomas to boot). We have made moves knowing that the top 4 RHD were locked. So we drafted C prospects and forwards while ignoring the RD. Trading Parayko now would open up a hole we don't have internal replacements coming to fill. While Thomas is by no means as good as Draisaitl now and may never be, he will be a lot closer than whoever we could scrounge to replace Parayko. Also, Parayko's on a much more team friendly contract. While Draisaitl's $8.5 is by no means a bad contract, it would inhibit us from making other moves. I'd much rather make a run at Tavares, hope Thomas hits, and bank on Parayko taking another step, then trading for Drai and scrambling to fill the 2RD spot.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I see a lot of Getzlaf in Thomas style of play. A few inches in size difference but similar vision and Puck handling. Thomas needs to strengthen his wrister just a bit though as Getzlaf has a nasty shot.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012

If we miss out on Tavares, im one of the few that is on board for the Parayko for Draisaitl swap. Although, i wouldn't be including any of our top prospects like Thomas in addition. We could prolly throw you a 3rd liner of some sort as a small add(We legit need to move some 3rd and 4th liners in the offseason). And if this trade came to fruition, I'm fairly confident in the Blues ability to use some of our assets to acquire a new 2nd pairing RD.

A stud young RH center is just what this team needs. Tough tough tough to see Parayko go, but this team has lacked scoring for far too long.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If we miss out on Tavares, im one of the few that is on board for the Parayko for Draisaitl swap. Although, i wouldn't be including any of our top prospects like Thomas in addition. We could prolly throw you a 3rd liner of some sort as a small add(We legit need to move some 3rd and 4th liners in the offseason). And if this trade came to fruition, I'm fairly confident in the Blues ability to use some of our assets to acquire a new 2nd pairing RD.

A stud young RH center is just what this team needs. Tough tough tough to see Parayko go, but this team has lacked scoring for far too long.

The only way i'm ok w/ this is if we somehow have a stud RHD lined up on a good contract signed long term and is under 26....so in other words..... I think this would be a mismanagement of assets, especially w/ all our high end fwd specs making their way onto our roster... why create a massive hole to upgrade something that isn't a weakness, just a pure upgrade. Draisaitl would be fantastic don't get me wrong.... but losing colt would kill us unless we had another legit #2 D locked up.

Much rather move berg and soby at the draft for picks, sign tavares(if not sign stastny back), roll schenn, tavares/stas, Thomas as our top9 C's, w/ fabbri, schwartz, steen on LW and Senko, kyrou,klim, tage, sosh,jaskin on RW w/ barbs and sundqvist as utility guys filling in around the lineup and keeping our top 4D of eddy, petro, parayko, dunn intact

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The only way i'm ok w/ this is if we somehow have a stud RHD lined up on a good contract signed long term and is under 26....so in other words..... I think this would be a mismanagement of assets, especially w/ all our high end fwd specs making their way onto our roster... why create a massive hole to upgrade something that isn't a weakness, just a pure upgrade. Draisaitl would be fantastic don't get me wrong.... but losing colt would kill us unless we had another legit #2 D locked up.

Much rather move berg and soby at the draft for picks, sign tavares(if not sign stastny back), roll schenn, tavares/stas, Thomas as our top9 C's, w/ fabbri, schwartz, steen on LW and Senko, kyrou,klim, tage, sosh,jaskin on RW w/ barbs and sundqvist as utility guys filling in around the lineup and keeping our top 4D of eddy, petro, parayko, dunn intact

I like this better, too. I've seen many, many defencemen mature slowly and steadily to become stars during their peaks. Parayko really has such a good combination of size, strength, skating ability and soft hands and offensive skill, that aren't so common in many defencemen, that I want to see how he develops over a few more years. I also want to see how Thomas develops. Drafting well, and having great performing young, low-cost home-grown players the better way to build championship teams than giving up high value/low cost player assets for already expensive star players.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I like this better, too. I've seen many, many defencemen mature slowly and steadily to become stars during their peaks. Parayko really has such a good combination of size, strength, skating ability and soft hands and offensive skill, that aren't so common in many defencemen, that I want to see how he develops over a few more years. I also want to see how Thomas develops. Drafting well, and having great performing young, low-cost home-grown players the better way to build championship teams than giving up high value/low cost player assets for already expensive star players.
Yup exactly....you lock up your stars long term (tarasenko, schwartz, schenn, Hopefully tavares, petro, parayko) build around them w/ ELC's (thomas, kyrou, klim, tage, sosh, barbs) etc... etc... Which with the rising cap still leaves room to pay some other higher end 2nd line/role players like CHI did w/ hossa, pit with hornqvist etc..

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Haven't been this excited about a spec since tarasenko.

I think thomas is seriously special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->