Robby Dee v. Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Was just perusing CSB and they have Breck forward Robby Dee ranked #72. He put up 87 points in 28 games, which is only 13 less than Wheeler accomplished in 2 more games last year. Now what makes them different? Has anyone seen Dee play and can give a scouting report? He's got good size at 6'1.5'' 185 and can play center or wing.

Anyways, he was intriguing and I checked out the NLOI's but I cannot find him. If someone knows who he is, where is he playing next year?

Seems like he can be a Ken Roche/Alex Goligoski HS type of 2nd or 3rd round pick.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Was just perusing CSB and they have Breck forward Robby Dee ranked #72. He put up 87 points in 28 games, which is only 13 less than Wheeler accomplished in 2 more games last year. Now what makes them different? Has anyone seen Dee play and can give a scouting report? He's got good size at 6'1.5'' 185 and can play center or wing.

Anyways, he was intriguing and I checked out the NLOI's but I cannot find him. If someone knows who he is, where is he playing next year?

Seems like he can be a Ken Roche/Alex Goligoski HS type of 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Dee has committed to Maine for 2006. He is playing in the USHL this year for Omaha.

I've never seen him play so that is all I can fill you in on.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Balej's Dance said:

I think Wheeler's upside has to be higher. He has a semi-long shot at becoming a Mike Gartner-type player. Roche was a horrible pick, IMO.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:

I have seen both play a number of times. I'd consider Dee a center. Dee just doesn't have the size and skill combination that Wheeler has. It is not a knock on Dee but he just doesn't bring as many facets to the table as Wheeler. I would also gather scouts don't feel Dee has the same long run potential that Wheeler has.

Keep an eye on Jordan Fulton from that Breck team. He'll be a senior next year and I believe he will be a better player than Dee is.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
PuckFan01 said:
I have seen both play a number of times. I'd consider Dee a center. Dee just doesn't have the size and skill combination that Wheeler has. It is not a knock on Dee but he just doesn't bring as many facets to the table as Wheeler. I would also gather scouts don't feel Dee has the same long run potential that Wheeler has.

Keep an eye on Jordan Fulton from that Breck team. He'll be a senior next year and I believe he will be a better player than Dee is.

Thanks, what kind of player is Dee? Is he a playmaker, sniper, physical, soft? Even though Wheeler is more talented does Dee have a good shot at being drafted in the first day? Could you see a team take him early?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobMarleyNYR said:
I think Wheeler's upside has to be higher. He has a semi-long shot at becoming a Mike Gartner-type player. Roche was a horrible pick, IMO.

Mike Gartner? Please explain the comparison. If I was shooting for a pie in the sky comparison I would go with Mats Sundin. A big guy who is a fluid skater with remarkable offensive skills.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Dee seemed to reach his potential sooner than Wheeler did, Wheeler still growing and all. Dee seemed to be an all around player if i remember right. He set up or was set up Wheeler. Both got good numbers off of each other. Hard to really tell physical play at all in MN HS. Calls are kinda tight but in most cases a guy like a Wheeler or Dee can just skate around you. And in the state tourney if it is close the refs in some cases seem to put the whistles away and let the play decide the game, or they take the opposie approach and call everything. Not a lot of consistancy in the refing from what i have seen.

And with Brecks numbers. They play in class A. They do play class AA schools and Blake a class A team that is very good. But coming from the metro area, there are not a lot of good class A schools. So numbers can get inflated.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Eh, maybe Gartner isn't great - I'm never good at comparisons. Wheeler's a better skater than Gartner, but I was really referring to the fact of more goals than assists. Sundin is a scorer/playmaker, Wheeler doesn't have playmaking skills.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobMarleyNYR said:
Eh, maybe Gartner isn't great - I'm never good at comparisons. Wheeler's a better skater than Gartner, but I was really referring to the fact of more goals than assists. Sundin is a scorer/playmaker, Wheeler doesn't have playmaking skills.

Wheeler a better skater than Mike Gartner? I don't think so. Gartner is one of the top five or so skaters to ever lace 'em up. Wheeler is a great skater for his size, but he's no Gartner. As for Wheeler not having any playmaking skllls, you're wrong there too. He's an exceptional playmaker.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Wheeler a better skater than Mike Gartner? I don't think so. Gartner is one of the top five or so skaters to ever lace 'em up. Wheeler is a great skater for his size, but he's no Gartner. As for Wheeler not having any playmaking skllls, you're wrong there too. He's an exceptional playmaker.

Holy Cow, this guy wasn't kidding when he said he was bad at comparisons. Blake Wheeler a better skater than Mike Gartner??? Thank god you straightened this guy out, I laughed out loud when I read that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Holy Cow, this guy wasn't kidding when he said he was bad at comparisons. Blake Wheeler a better skater than Mike Gartner??? Thank god you straightened this guy out, I laughed out loud when I read that.

I think some people need to sit back, take a deep breath, and really think about what they want to post before typing.

CH Wizard

Wheeler has a WAY bigger upside imo.He's bigger and he's a good skater for his big frame.From what I've seen, he doesn't play so physical but use more his size to go in front of the net.I didn't see Dee play yet but I've read a lot of good things about him.Wheeler could become really special....he has unlimited potential...he could become a BIG PF who scores 30,40 goals each year.

Wheeler had a decent season in the USHL...he was the best scorer of his team and went to the ALL-STAR GAME (well a lot of people expected more form a 5th overall pick but some jump to the conclusions too fast, he didn't have an abysmal season), let's see what kind of impact Dee will have in the USHL oh and I can't wait to see Wheeler play for the gophers.:D

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Balej's Dance said:
Especially because other teams and their scouts were touting him as an astute selection. Did you not see the episode where the Phoenix rep. congratulated NYR for taking him?

Could be all politics and tactics form the point of teams interacting with other teams. Alot of tems dont like to tip there hand and often promote a prospect that isn't all that great in teh hopes that another team wil buy in a try to trade for him. Just another way to look at one team congratulating another team for there picks at the draft table.

Good pickup there Slats on the Roche kid... Pheonix guy whispers to the rest of Yotes team can you beleive he picked that bum up in at that spot..hahaha

Then again maybe he was honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->