robbie schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Hemsky83 said:
But Hockey USA didn't even want to pick him in the first place. What about it doesn't matter how hard he tries, Hockey USA will still not give him additional minutes. Simply put, Hockey USA doesn't like Schremp.

I've only seen him play once (Saturday night) so I can't comment on whether Schremp deserves a bigger role. However, if you think Coach Sandelin is going to leave one of his better players on the bench because something called "Hockey USA" says to, you don't know Sandelin very well. I can guarantee that anyone who has been associated with Sandelin in a hockey role (teammate, coaching colleague, player) would laugh their ___ off at the thought. Sandelin is there to win, period. If he thinks Schremp will be more effective than the guys he just sent out, then he will play him.

Some people seem pretty hung up on the "politics" thing, both from a team selection and playing time standpoint. The bottom line is these guys are trying to win, and they will do what THEY think is right, not what might seem to outsiders to be "right."

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
The Messenger said:
It really is team USA coach Sandelin decision as to who plays and who does not ..

I think the point everyone is missing is that USA won the game .. They beat one of the strongest teams in the Tourney and so I find it surprising that the coach is questioned for his decisions ... Had they lost .. I could see a lot of Sunday Morning QBing and saying they should have done this and/or done that including taking Schremp off the bench .. In a win however that just doesnt seem right..

The 13th forward is unique to this tourney, in Junior you do not dress that 13th forward or if you do then its at the expense of a Dman ... Team USA lines where playing well together and so why bench or break up any of them ..

I think the motto of this game is .. If it ain't broke don't fix it ....

In another game if his team is behind and the coach needs some offense he may increase Schremp's role ..

I am sure he will get his opportunity before its all over and in a way I believe this is good for Schremp ... This might in fact be the turning point that does put all those negative assesments to bed .. Critics could look back at this tourney and the things that Schremp does not do (like complain, be disruptive etc), and proves he is a team player first, can go a long way both for himself and others, rather than his on ice contribution ... IMO

There are a number of very good players sitting at home looking at there Christmas tree wishing they were the 13th forward on team USA. Robbie took full advantage of his opprotunity vs Russia !!! I expect him to have a positive impact during the remainder of this tournament........Just Watch !!!

Reilly311

MePutPuckInNet said:
"With Robbie leading the OHL in goals, he would think, and everyone would think, he'd have a much bigger role," he said.

LOL, I forgot the OHL was the best league in the world. :lol

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
LOL, I forgot the OHL was the best league in the world. :lol

Umm, that was Dan Fritsche's comment. Dan was saying that based on numbers you would think Schremp would be playing more.

Overall, I think its all good. USA has a great team, some good players will sit. I don't understand it but the coaches made their decisions. Its the same as I don't understand how Perry could have been Canada's 13th forward if not for the injuries.

In these tournaments, I am still amazed at the addiction to defense. My best example is Mike Comrie when he went to the evaluation camp. He was the leading scorer in the exhibition games and played awesome. He didn't even make the team.

In Schremp's case, he is a slower skater and has a reputation of being weak defensively. So it makes perfect sense that he is the 13th forward. Schremp has not played enough yet to disprove any of that yet especially the poor defensive part.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
I feel he has come a long way with handling things like this. He's starting to grow up. He will wait for his shot and prove that you dont have to be the fastest skater on the ice to but points on the board. :handclap:

Reilly311

elphy101 said:
Umm, that was Dan Fritsche's comment. Dan was saying that based on numbers you would think Schremp would be playing more.

yeah, and it's stupid. Just because a player is ripping it up in another league doesn't mean he gets special treament and cuts the other players in line. If they thought Schremp was good, he'd be playing. Who cares how many goals he has in the OHL because none of that will matter when playing in this tournament.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
True , but with VERY limited ice time in the first game he did score a goal. And really that is what he is there to do. I think he just needs to keep making the most of his minutes and he'll get his shot. after a few games someone won't be preforming and Scremp can step in there.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, they hate him so much that he was named to the team and inserted into the line-up. :shakehead God forbid players actually have to fit into a team concept and earn their minutes..... :shakehead
Fair enough... I'm just struggling to see how a guy like Mike Brown is getting a regular shift while Schremp is hardly even getting out on the powerplays. :dunno: Schremp has a dymamite shot and it seems like he has a lot that he can offer the team. Oh well, hopefully he'll keep a good attitude and eventually earn some more ice time as the tournament progresses...

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Schremp on the bench while Weller plays

My son played against Weller this Summer at the New England Sports Center (MA). He wasn't close to being the best player in the game (in a Summer tournament with pick-up teams comprised of midget and high school players -- 86-89 birth years). His pick for team USA demonstrates how political the selection process is. Check out his skating. It's embarassing. Watch the way he crosses over when he turns to the left. And, he played more than Schremp.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
The Messenger hit the nail on the head...THE US TEAM WON! Unless someone got hurt, why would you change the lines when those lines beat one of the best teams in the tournament?? All this Schremp talk is pointless..."Robbie crosses over better than Weller....play him"...."Robbie it tearing up the OHL....play him" - It's always Robbie this and Robbie and its getting irratating. The US coaches are playing him where they feel he will best help the team, right now that is as the 13th forward. A team isn't made of 13 super skilled goal scorers, it is made of 13 forwards who all have a role. So yeah, Schremp may cross-over better than Weller but Weller has an important role on this team and is a good player. (Definately not a political pick, we're talking about a 3rd round pick by Ottawa) and yeah Schremp may be tearing up the OHL but this isn't the OHL, its the world junior tournament. Bottom line is the US won. I think everyone needs to remember what Kurt Russell said in the movie Miracle while playing Herb Brooks, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right players." Seemed to work out for him!

Last edited:

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
My son played against Weller this Summer at the New England Sports Center (MA). He wasn't close to being the best player in the game (in a Summer tournament with pick-up teams comprised of midget and high school players -- 86-89 birth years). His pick for team USA demonstrates how political the selection process is. Check out his skating. It's embarassing. Watch the way he crosses over when he turns to the left. And, he played more than Schremp.

Well then, I guess your son was the best player on the ice. Weller is a strong, aggressive forward that brings some grit to team USA......

hockeydad15

May 1, 2004
LemonDrop_27 said:
The Messenger hit the nail on the head...THE US TEAM WON! Unless someone got hurt, why would you change the lines when those lines beat one of the best teams in the tournament?? All this Schremp talk is pointless..."Robbie crosses over better than Weller....play him"...."Robbie it tearing up the OHL....play him" - It's always Robbie this and Robbie and its getting irratating. The US coaches are playing him where they feel he will best help the team, right now that is as the 13th forward. A team isn't made of 13 super skilled goal scorers, it is made of 13 forwards who all have a role. So yeah, Schremp may cross-over better than Weller but Weller has an important role on this team and is a good player. (Definately not a political pick, we're talking about a 3rd round pick by Ottawa) and yeah Schremp may be tearing up the OHL but this isn't the OHL, its the world junior tournament. Bottom line is the US won. I think everyone needs to remember what Kurt Russell said in the movie Miracle while playing Herb Brooks, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right players." Seemed to work out for him!
You are right, this is all pointless!! Schremp is by far one of the top players on the team!! Bottom line is, POLITICS, POLITICS, POLITICS!! If you say anything different, look again. 3-4 shifts, 1 goal, not bad. Maybe, just maybe, if and when the usa gets down and need somebody to put the puck in the net, they will call on one of the most talented players on the team. Thats when Sandelin will give Schremp the nod.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Well he got some ice time, played fairly well both ways. Three rocket shots I counted. Roofed the game winner and just missed just over the cross bar earlier on the power play. Goalie thought it was in, he looked back immediately. He'll get another good look Wed. I'm sure.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Schremp did everything he could to justify a regular place in the line-up IMO. He did'nt slack off defensively and made his offensive chances count. He should get "promoted" and Pineault should take a seat. He's been horrible.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Schremp played about 5 or 6 regular strength shifts tonight. Here is my take, he's very dangerous in the offensive zone. Every time he has the puck on his stick in the opposing teams end, he's a threat. On the other hand, every time he was in his own end, I held my breath until he got off. It looked like he was trying but, he has no clue in his own end. At most he gives a stick check but never plays the body and looks lost most of the time in the defensive end. Played more tonight than against Russia but I honeslty don't feel comfortable with him on the ice in a close game.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
LemonDrop_27 said:
Schremp played about 5 or 6 regular strength shifts tonight. Here is my take, he's very dangerous in the offensive zone. Every time he has the puck on his stick in the opposing teams end, he's a threat. On the other hand, every time he was in his own end, I held my breath until he got off. It looked like he was trying but, he has no clue in his own end. At most he gives a stick check but never plays the body and looks lost most of the time in the defensive end. Played more tonight than against Russia but I honeslty don't feel comfortable with him on the ice in a close game.

Trying to be as unbiased as I can, I still can't see where you saw that! I honestly believe that this type reaction right here is based more on past performance, rumor and reputation. Didn't he infact clear the crease in his own end during a scramble with montoya down? I think your "nervousness" is just you buying into negative hype and not you allowing yourself to WATCH what is actually happening. And to say he doesn't lay the body---you don't catch too many knights games???

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i thought he was great both ways too. i didnt see him make a single mistake in his own end, he hustled and hit when he could. i think the main concern would be his decisions at the other blue line, he takes chances there that can hurt you. other than that he has earned more time, but i dont know who you give less time to, cuz i think the forwards have all busted their ass out there.

a lot of american forwards have impressed me, but no one looks more dangerous and poised with the puck than schremp. others have hustled (fristche, dowell), others have breakaway speed(kessel, stafford), but the game kinda slows down when he gets the puck. the only other guy who has that i think is osullivan - only not as much. you can tell he has the sixth sense, and in a game where they are down, i would expect to see plenty of him.

em1ss

Dec 27, 2004
PA, USA
Well I watched the game again to be sure. Did not see Schremp take one play off. Couldn't place him on the ice for any Swiss goals. I did see him clear the puck for Montoya in a scramble. He also made a great pass to set up Goligoski on the power play. Too bad Goligoski tried to be cute by passing instead of shooting. He had the better angle. His goal made ESPN sportscenter highlights. He should have had two, he rifled one just over the crossbar earlier in the game.

I have to agree with most posts, he deserves more ice time. The next game is another audition game for him. USA should be able to roll the lines again and win the next one.

LoweDown

Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
LemonDrop_27 said:
I didnt see the game but from other posters' remakrs both here and on the Oilers Board, it appears he had a fairly good game with limited ice time-a goal and a couple of scoring opportunities. Also, look at it this way, if Schremp didnt score that goal, the game wouldve been MUCH closer...

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
Schremp is eligible for the next WJC's right? For some reason I thought I heard he was not but I didn't think that that was right. How many minutes do you guys figure he played again the swiss?

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
LemonDrop_27 said:
Is it just me or did it seem like when Schremp was on the ice know one could hit him with a pass (bad passing). Mabye it was cause he was out their with the 3rd line. I think he is used to playing will top end lines (Perry,Bolland) and i think if he makes it up to line one with Frichie and O'sullivan they would be unstopable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad