Robbie Schremp vs Patty O'Sullivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One thing I have noticed is people are starting to claim Schremp is a poor skater when that's not really true. All along it's been claimed he is an "average" skater, and that's an important fact to keep in mind. He gets where he needs to go, plain and simple. Ray Sheppard was one of the worst skaters I have ever seen, yet that didn't stop him for scoring a ton of goals and being a power play threat. IMO, Schremp is capable of that type of an impact, or better.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Rabid Ranger said:
One thing I have noticed is people are starting to claim Schremp is a poor skater when that's not really true. All along it's been claimed he is an "average" skater, and that's an important fact to keep in mind. He gets where he needs to go, plain and simple. Ray Sheppard was one of the worst skaters I have ever seen, yet that didn't stop him for scoring a ton of goals and being a power play threat. IMO, Schremp is capable of that type of an impact, or better.

I tell ya some people just want to hate on him and are graspin at straws. He's just a terribly average skater and thats just fuel to the fire when someone wants to slam him...he doesn't have the Modano-like grace and speed so what? He's still an awesome young player.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
You got to be kidding. If you are not a good skater at 18, you may be able to become adequate, but their is no way you will ever become a good skater , no matter how good your teacher is.

Martin St. Louis?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sammy said:
You got to be kidding. If you are not a good skater at 18, you may be able to become adequate, but their is no way you will ever become a good skater , no matter how good your teacher is.
I guess that brings up another point: I've never actually heard Schremp described as a bad skater, but that's what some here are making him out to be. The scouting reports I read went something along the lines of "Well-above average skater; good top speed, but not blazing; acceleration could use some work."

From what I've seen of him, he's no worse than that.

niconi09

Feb 12, 2005
Ontario
Seachd said:
I guess that brings up another point: I've never actually heard Schremp described as a bad skater, but that's what some here are making him out to be. The scouting reports I read went something along the lines of "Well-above average skater; good top speed, but not blazing; acceleration could use some work."

exactly, skating is not a big problem with this guy. Yes is a good skater, and makes up for what he "apparentley doesn't have in speed" ,with his hands.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Seachd said:

Whoops. I didn't see Rabid Ranger's post. Well, he's got a point.

Boilers*

Sammy said:

Oates was as slow as molasis in January but still had a solid career. I still wished we'd have picked up Patty at the draft though.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I don't think his average [at best] skating effects his offensive game. Schremp is gifted enough offensively to compensate for that....where it hurts him the most is his defensive game. He does not have great defensive ice vision and that, coupled with his average-ish skating, is where his most significant weakness lay..in my humble opinion, of course.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Wow, Schremp cant even compare to patty O'Sullivan, this kid has wheels, unreal hands and a beauty shot, The Wild stole him in the second round.

niconi09

Feb 12, 2005
Ontario
tuckerdomi said:
Wow, Schremp cant even compare to patty O'Sullivan, this kid has wheels, unreal hands and a beauty shot, The Wild stole him in the second round.

look at what oyu jsut said...reflect on it, and slap yourself. Schremp has some of the nicest hands in the entire CHL. His shot is a rocket and accurate, and his speed is good. So think before you speak.

Sammy*

Bloodsport said:
Oates was as slow as molasis in January but still had a solid career. I still wished we'd have picked up Patty at the draft though.
Agree about Oates but that has nothing to do about my comment. If he's a poor skater, its impossible at his age to make him into a good skater, but maybe you can transform him into a passable skater.
FWIW, at the WJC (which is the only time I have ever seen him skate), to me he looked relativly slow, with not alot of quickness. Now, if he is not that great a skater, that shortcoming is only going to look alot more obvious as he moves up the food chain.
After seeing his skating, I must say I wasnt all that surprised see that he gets tons of his points on the pp.

soulok*

Shremp is way ahead of Sullivan in terms of pure skill and talent. Upside Shremp has more too. Skating Sullivan is better but Shremp will get better. His skating is obviously not poor its just not NHL ready yet. Once Shremps skating catches up with the rest of his arsenal you guys will be wondering why would u even consider putting O sullivan in the same class as robbie

niconi09

Feb 12, 2005
Ontario
soulok said:
Shremp is way ahead of Sullivan in terms of pure skill and talent. Upside Shremp has more too. Skating Sullivan is better but Shremp will get better. His skating is obviously not poor its just not NHL ready yet. Once Shremps skating catches up with the rest of his arsenal you guys will be wondering why would u even consider putting O sullivan in the same class as robbie

totally agree.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
soulok said:

:lol :shakehead :shakehead :lol

I'm trying to type something else, but I'm laughing too hard at the stupidity....

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'd take O'Sullivan.

Overall, I find his offensive arsenal to be better and more well rounded. Schremp probably has a similar upside, but I'd say O'Sullivan is a safer prospect to a be an NHL scoring line forward.

But both are great prospects with top line upsides in the NHL.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
bruins4777 said:
From watching i just remeber that supercrazyblazing speed. I only saw him a little bit though...

I can't pick between the two...i like schremp, but i don't know....

Not just great speed. He has that quick acceleration - he cruising around and then one step and zoom - he's between the defensmen in a blink.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Jacobv2 said:
So Schremp is going to be taught to be a good skater, and be taught to also be a good defensive player? Geeze, he's going to be a pretty busy guy.
Yes he is going to be a pretty busy guy, but if it's what takes to succeed I'm sure he'll do it. Robbie was already taking power skating lessons from the Oiler's top scouts daughter (Liane Davis) before being drafted by us and worked alot with K. Buchberger on his defensive game in the off season. I think this demonstrate he knows his short-comings/weaknesses and has the drive to take a step to improving them.

If you want something to pick on Jacobv2 I recommend Schremp's lack of ES production, he has trouble putting up points without the extra room out there, and as everyone knows the time and space you get to make something happen only gets smaller as you go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad