Robbie Schremp off to amazing start

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

There is no taking away from Schremp's numbers so far,he's earned the points.It's the OHl so it's a damn good league.He's 19 and eligible to play and doing well,it's not like he is a 28 year old nhl vet ripping the league up.He is dominating as i would expect him to do this year as the kid can really do wonders with the puck and he's a veteran of that league now.Give him his due i'd say,he isn't the only 19 year old in that league and they are'nt putting up those numbers.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
well Schremp has another 2G and 4 A today. That is 26 points in 6 games. No matter what league he is playing in those numbers are insane...

EDIT: Schremp added another goal and assist. 8 point game? He has 14 points in the last 2 games!!!!!

I was hoping for a solid start but this is crazy

EDIT 2: Hmm radio says Schremp scored, but OHL site says he assisted on the goal. Still 2 G and 6 A is a great night!!!

Last edited:

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
Good thing he's not on the Oilers and he can be the "go to guy" in London..Because this will sure help his development... :help: Or not...What a waste of time....If you can put up points like that then what is the point of playing. He is going to get bored, and pick up really bad habits now.

I for one am impressed with the oilers because 28 points in 6 games is just sick. Second in OHL scoring already, but I just dont see a whole lot of a point...(besides the 28 of course ;))

Hockey_Nut99

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 said:
Good thing he's not on the Oilers and he can be the "go to guy" in London..Because this will sure help his development... :help: Or not...What a waste of time....If you can put up points like that then what is the point of playing. He is going to get bored, and pick up really bad habits now.

I for one am impressed with the oilers because 28 points in 6 games is just sick. Second in OHL scoring already, but I just dont see a whole lot of a point...(besides the 28 of course ;))
Players with that special sort of "drive" or motivation will not get bored. A guy like Gretzky would try his a** off every game to get as many points as he could and help the team. Hopefully RS won't get bored.

Oil_slick9416*

2nd in points and only 6 games played, he's something special alright

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
OMG, this kid is unreal. The team was floundering before he came back, they've won all 6 since he's came back; Most of those in dominant fashion. Torres-Schremp-Hemsky will be alot of fun to watch next year.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

Just like Gretzky got bored decimating people in his league?

I think this is great for his development. He's shown character by being cut (how many times as he even been cut? Look what getting cut did for a guy like Michael Jordan too) and not moping, and seems to be playing with an absolute vengance. He's going to come into camp next season with so much confidence it might just ooze over into the rest of the team.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Hockey_Nut99 said:
Players with that special sort of "drive" or motivation will not get bored. A guy like Gretzky would try his a** off every game to get as many points as he could and help the team. Hopefully RS won't get bored.
I doubt he'll get bored. I watched that 14-6 debacle, and it sure didn't seem like Schremp got bored. However many hundreds of points he ends up with this year, though, I have a nagging concern about how good it will be for his development as a pro.

We already know the kid can score. Playing 30 minutes a night, taking the full 2-minutes on every powerplay (often the Knight throw 5 forwards out there now, Schremp and Bolland, Hunter, Kostitsyn, and a random extra guy like Perry)... I dunno. Two post-game interviews in a row now he has defended Hunter putting those guys out to run up the score claiming that he's gunning for the scoring title. And especially the way the Knights move it around and basically toy with the opposition on the PPs, it isn't exactly a challenging or stimulating situation. How much opportunity it gives him to improve his overall game is doubtful. It's not like his shooting or confidence need any improvement.

Anyway, that's a nitpick. The new Downie-less Windsor and the Majors aren't particularly nasty opponents, but eventually somebody is going to get annoyed at all that hotdogging and take a run at the Knights' big guys; whether that ends up being good for Schremp's career or not is open to debate. I actually think it helped Perry last year. Hunter is basically doing everything in his power to give Schremp all the freedom in the world to score a ton this year, which is probably some kind of nice gesture for all the tough-love that he put Schremp through in previous years. But if I was an Oilers fan I could come up some concerns about the situation, despite the seemingly gaudy stats. As I said, in a totally nitpicky way, though.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Sunny Mouhamed said:
OMG, this kid is unreal. The team was floundering before he came back, they've won all 6 since he's came back; Most of those in dominant fashion.

It's not all because he came back - one game before he returned they got Adam Dennis and Dylan Hunter back - and thus started their winning streak. Adam's return was as important as Schremps.

Not trying to take anything away from Schremps awesome performances, though. :handclap:

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
How much opportunity it gives him to improve his overall game is doubtful. It's not like his shooting or confidence need any improvement.
He's not back in junior to improve his 'overall game'.
Lowetide said:
"He does things at a level that most players can’t do,†complimented head coach Craig MacTavish. “We all know full well the value of a player that brings the offensive dimension to our club, the value that would hold in terms of our success. I think everybody is very encouraging of Robbie because maybe the quicker he comes along maybe it’s a situation where we grow as well.â€

“I haven’t noticed his positional play being poor at all but the strength, quickness and the reads that centermen have to have, those are gained through experience,†MacTavish explained. “You only gain experience by making mistakes but you lose games by making mistakes so we’ll probably protect him on the wing for a little bit. We see him right now as a very viable option for us to use 5-on-4, 4-on-3, 5-on-3 and those are going to be significant minutes.â€

“He was close, I told him that his strength and quickness were the only two things right now keeping him out of the league,†explained MacTavish. “He should feel good and positive about the camp that he had. He has a skill level that is very impressive; he’s going to get lots of things done at this level.â€
MacT also commented on 'conditioning and speed', which I guess, can be considered in the 'strength and quickness' quote above.

Schremp has a fitness plan that he said was much more intense than the LK's team fitness regimens. Hunter is giving him mondo minutes, so this helps in improving his conditioning. And next summer, I have no doubt that Rob will take power skating with Liane Davis again. Obviously, he can't work on improving his read, until he's playing against NHLers.

28 points in 6 games?
Not bad.
:D

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Well, as many of you predicted, he already started slipping, only 1 G 3 A tonight and now has 32 points in 7 games and is 4 points off the league leader Bolland.

if Schremp is doing so well its only because of habs prospect Kostitsyn... :innocent:

seriously, Schremp is putting some INCREDIBLE numbers.. but it doesnt mean it makes him a better pro.. i guess he is the type who love numbers.. Latendresse started well in points.. but apparently he is doing badly now.. not in the same level. too physical for the Q.. dunno.

so alll the Schremp things we heard... years ago where.. possibly true. well see how he does in the big league.. but with the new NHL should be good.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Call Schremp back up immediately. All is lost in Oilerland and even if he just contributes on the PP for this year at least there will be something positive for my Northern Alberta brothers to hang their hats on.

Vic Rattlehead*

I've always been a fan of Schremp, and it looks like Edmonton has an very good prospect in their system.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Blind Gardien said:
I doubt he'll get bored. I watched that 14-6 debacle, and it sure didn't seem like Schremp got bored. However many hundreds of points he ends up with this year, though, I have a nagging concern about how good it will be for his development as a pro.

We already know the kid can score. Playing 30 minutes a night, taking the full 2-minutes on every powerplay (often the Knight throw 5 forwards out there now, Schremp and Bolland, Hunter, Kostitsyn, and a random extra guy like Perry)... I dunno. Two post-game interviews in a row now he has defended Hunter putting those guys out to run up the score claiming that he's gunning for the scoring title. And especially the way the Knights move it around and basically toy with the opposition on the PPs, it isn't exactly a challenging or stimulating situation. How much opportunity it gives him to improve his overall game is doubtful. It's not like his shooting or confidence need any improvement.

Anyway, that's a nitpick. The new Downie-less Windsor and the Majors aren't particularly nasty opponents, but eventually somebody is going to get annoyed at all that hotdogging and take a run at the Knights' big guys; whether that ends up being good for Schremp's career or not is open to debate. I actually think it helped Perry last year. Hunter is basically doing everything in his power to give Schremp all the freedom in the world to score a ton this year, which is probably some kind of nice gesture for all the tough-love that he put Schremp through in previous years. But if I was an Oilers fan I could come up some concerns about the situation, despite the seemingly gaudy stats. As I said, in a totally nitpicky way, though.

As per usual, I completely agree with you.

You have to ask yourself, how good for his development is this? And that's not a knock on Schremp by any means. He's gone back to London and done what he's been expected to do. BUT, we all know Schremp can score. We all know Schremp has confidence in his abilities. Does he really need more work on decimating junior defenseman. He'd be much better suited to be playing professional right now and taking the next step against stronger, faster, smarter players.

At the same time, to contradict myself. Where else can he go really? The Oilers roster up front is pretty cramped (before the injuries to Smyth and Horcoff) and if he was going to be simply playing half the games or seing little ice time outside the powerplay, then staying on the Oilers really isn't the best option IMO. And well he can't go to the AHL, because of age restriction, so...Schremp is achieving really the only thing he can do right now. Dominate the OHL and try to stay focused and challenged.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Alberta Yote said:
Call Schremp back up immediately. All is lost in Oilerland and even if he just contributes on the PP for this year at least there will be something positive for my Northern Alberta brothers to hang their hats on.

Unfortunately, that's something that can't be done until his OHL season is over unless it's under emergency situation. And unfortunately for you guys, the dreaded six game losing streak can't be defined as an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->