Robbie Schremp off to amazing start

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFO

Jan 29, 2003
edmonton
Visit site
SoCalSharkzFan said:
Amazed? Hardly. Maybe it's the way you are wording it. Amazing is like something that makes my jaw drop and my eyes bulge out. A bunch of points in a league in London isnt amazing. If he wasnt putting up great numbers in the London league I'd be pretty concerned.

i dont think u understand....
this is the ontario hockey league... not a metro league in london, and i think your probably thinking london england

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
SoCalSharkzFan said:
Amazed? Hardly. Maybe it's the way you are wording it. Amazing is like something that makes my jaw drop and my eyes bulge out. A bunch of points in a league in London isnt amazing. If he wasnt putting up great numbers in the London league I'd be pretty concerned.

FYI - the CHL has more future NHL players in it than any other hockey league. It's not some scrub city league. :teach:

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
jester099 said:
I think it's going to make a huge difference in the CHL.

Their is probably a bigger gap between the best players and the worst players in the CHL than in the NHL (the talent pool of the NHL is bigger), so the best players could really make a bigger impact in the CHL...

It'll be fun to see how it unfolds.

It's also very nice to see that players can get used to the new way of calling games in the juniors rather than in the pros.

Do you guys think it will show in the future drafts ? That team will be more inclined to draft players from the juniors rather than from the european pool of players because of the rule applications ?

The new standards for obstruction in the WHL have by all accounts been basically thrown out the window and the refs are letting all the clutching and grabbing and stickwork go more and more everygame. The games at the very beginning of the year were some of the funnest games ive seen in the league for quite some time.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
jester099 said:
So you're saying it's normal for everybody 19 and 20 to score 4 points per game ? Is that it ?

Because he's 19 and some players in the league are younger than that doesn't mean 14 points in 4 games isn't an amazing production pace.

14 points in 4 games is a pace that would give him 28 in 8 games, good for the first rank in the scorers of the league. It's an excellent production, no mather how old he his.

so he's racking points up in a leauge he clearly shouldnt be in

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Sregei isin't just the one with more hearth, he's also the brightest one.Andrei should of went and dominate in the OHL last year instead of joining the Bulldogs, he was too young to play againts men, the guy was a project to start with, and now because he had a huge transition in his career people on HFboards are ALREADY calling him a bust...

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
SoCalSharkzFan said:

Do you know what the OHL is?? :dunno:

CofRed

Jul 28, 2005
Schremp had 3 goals and 3 assists in an 11-2 Knights win against Windsor tonight. :eek:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
salty justice said:
Bolland has been way more impressive, but he wasnt drafted by a Canadian team...

Uh no, Bolland has been great no doubt, but he is averaging 2.9 PPG while Schremp is at 4.00 PPG

Taking nothing away from Bolland, I think the Hawks got a great player there.

Transported Upstater

s7ark said:
Uh no, Bolland has been great no doubt, but he is averaging 2.9 PPG while Schremp is at 4.00 PPG

Taking nothing away from Bolland, I think the Hawks got a great player there.

Bolland has suprised me...Not bad return on a pick for DA BLACKHAWKS so far.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
salty justice said:
Bolland has been way more impressive, but he wasnt drafted by a Canadian team...
Bolland has been fantastic so far but can you explain to me how he's been better than Schremp? I think the praise for Schremp has a lot more with his 4PPG average than the fact that a Canadian team drafted him...

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
salty justice said:

Actually Bolland and Schremp each had 14 point in the previous 4 games leading up to tonight's where Schremp's 6 doubled Bolland's 3.

Also didn't know the games were broadcast in California to see them both play... :sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Claypool said:
So there you go. Schremp is mainly playing against players who are younger than him.
your statement was that he plays against 16/17 year olds, and you disagreed that he played mostly 18/20 year olds. if the three 16's and 20's average out, he is obviously playing more 18/19's than 17's, pretty clear to see. the info contradicted your statement, it didnt help it. he is playing at his age group, he isnt an overager. yes he is at the point where guys who are above the curve usually dominate, but his numbers are impressive regardless. you're saying it isnt anything special, im saying just give the credit where it is deserved. he's playing well.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I don't understand this.

Schremp does well and people say, it's because he's playing against 16 and 17 year olds.

When Crosby was doing well it was "he's doing it against top talent in the CHL"

Same **** either way. I'm happy to Schremp doing so well, let's give him credit.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I'm not a Schremp fan to be honest, seems to me to be another Comrie type the Oilers will have to nurse through 5x5 action and overuse on the PP in order to get maximum results.

Having said that, he is supposed to dominate as a 19 year old and he's doing just that and at an impressive clip. No denying that, I wish I knew if he were playing against the other team's best and how well he was playing without the puck.

One thing imo that is becoming completely obvious: Oilers used their second pick in the first round/2004 wisely. He has so far easily covered that bet.

AL-Canadian

Nov 7, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Lowetide said:
No denying that, I wish I knew if he were playing against the other team's best and how well he was playing without the puck.

Do you honestly believe that the teams playing London and Schremp/Bollard are not playing their best checking line and top defense pairing when these guys are on the ice. If the teams aren't focused on stopping this players, then the coach/team deserve to get their butts handed to them on a platter.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
AL-Canadian said:
Do you honestly believe that the teams playing London and Schremp/Bollard are not playing their best checking line and top defense pairing when these guys are on the ice. If the teams aren't focused on stopping this players, then the coach/team deserve to get their butts handed to them on a platter.

What I believe has nothing to do with it.

How effective is Hunter at getting matchups that favor his big line? I don't have the information and line matchups aren't available.

How effective is Schremp against other very good centers in the OHL? Again, I don't have that information and shift charts are not available.

It's logical question to ask imo.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
The thought process here is unbelievable. If he wasn't putting up points it would be "Schremp's showing his true colours and sulking because he didn't make the NHL".

All reports had him pretty much on the Oilers team, and it took the loss of Jani Rita for nothing on waivers to knock him out of the lineup. He then holds his head high, signs a deal right away (something that doesn't always happen) and goes on to start dominating in the OHL.

Give the kid credit. He's scoring at a phenominal pace and after being to two of the games and seeing the rest on TV he has been everything the team needs. The only reason you see him with turnovers is because he has the puck on his stick so often during the game (not as a puck hog but because he just controls the play so often that you want him to have the puck). He's one of the best passing prospects and one of the best shooting prospects in the game. Give him him due.

His defensive game isn't stellar, but he isn't nearly as bad as he is constantly made out to be. He gets to the defensive zone and he covers his man. He isn't a Selke forward in the making, but nor is he going to be expected to do that. He's a 1st line winger who will put up points, that's what he's made to do.

There are a lot of players putting up strong point totals, but Schremp is the one with 20 points in 5 games, noone else is scoring at his pace right now. Unlikely that he will keep it up for the entire season, but it doesn't change the fact that he is doing it so far.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Lowetide said:
What I believe has nothing to do with it.

How effective is Hunter at getting matchups that favor his big line? I don't have the information and line matchups aren't available.

How effective is Schremp against other very good centers in the OHL? Again, I don't have that information and shift charts are not available.

It's logical question to ask imo.

The top line gets the defensive unit for the opposition. The Knights don't have the depth like they did last year while they still have a decent top 6...it's just nowhere near the same depth. Now their 1st line players are actually their first line, whereas last year you had guys like Schremp on the 2nd line.

Also their defense is nowhere near as good as last year at puck movement so an argument can be made that it is a little easier to focus on the forward defensive aspect.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
I don't understand this.

Schremp does well and people say, it's because he's playing against 16 and 17 year olds.

When Crosby was doing well it was "he's doing it against top talent in the CHL"

Same **** either way. I'm happy to Schremp doing so well, let's give him credit.

This what I first noticed as well. 14 points in 4 games is 14 points in 4 games regardless of how old you are and what team you're on, and he's doing it without the likes of Corey Perry and Dany Syvret and others this year. Give credit where credit's due. I don't even like Schremp.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I think people are just way too sensitive about Schremp for some reason. Hey, I'm an Oiler fan I hope he's Gretzky, but that has nothing to do with measuring his ability and his progression. In my first post on this thread I said nice things about him and the responses have been "what's wrong with people?"

NOTHING is wrong with people. We're asking questions, we're trying to get answers. Schremp has more than covered his draft number, if he had re-entered next summer who knows where he would have gone?

But asking pertinent questions about who his opponents are on the ice and how he is doing against tough competition seems to me a no brainer.

Who are the other top quality centers in the OHL? Is Schremp playing against those players? Is he playing against them on the road when the coach may not be able to get the matchup he wants? Is he working as hard down there as he did when he was in Edmonton's camp?

I fail to see how any questions I have asked in this thread are critical of Schremp. I think he is one dimensional, a Comrie type. If I'm wrong, how am I wrong? What proof can you offer me instead of saying "no matter what he does people aren't happy?"

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Claypool said:
So there you go. Schremp is mainly playing against players who are younger than him. He's been in the OHL a long time. He's played against the best players at his age internationally. He's won the memorial cup. He's played on one of the best junior teams ever. If he isn't outscoring the opposition by a wide margin by now, then he isn't playing well. No one should be suprised by his point totals. That's all I'm saying.

SoCalSharkzFan said:

BMWM3owner said:
so he's racking points up in a leauge he clearly shouldnt be in

Is there anyone here who understands what junior hockey is and how it works?

Anyone?

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
sec17 said:
Is there anyone here who understands what junior hockey is and how it works?

Anyone?

I suspect I do, been watching junior hockey since the early 70s. I don't live in a town that has WHL anymore but the basic idea is the same in a junior league: win the game, give the home town fans something to cheer about, make sure there's a fight and if you're losing to your bitter rival make them bleed.

Is that about right? :D

The most encouraging things I've heard about Schremp came from Edmonton coach Craig MacTavish in HF's Guy Flaming's article on the Oiler camp (it's on the front page of the Edmonton portion of this site). A few MacT quotes courtesy Guy:

He does things at a level that most players can’t do,†complimented head coach Craig MacTavish. “We all know full well the value of a player that brings the offensive dimension to our club, the value that would hold in terms of our success. I think everybody is very encouraging of Robbie because maybe the quicker he comes along maybe it’s a situation where we grow as well.â€

“I haven’t noticed his positional play being poor at all but the strength, quickness and the reads that centermen have to have, those are gained through experience,†MacTavish explained. “You only gain experience by making mistakes but you lose games by making mistakes so we’ll probably protect him on the wing for a little bit. We see him right now as a very viable option for us to use 5-on-4, 4-on-3, 5-on-3 and those are going to be significant minutes.â€

“He was close, I told him that his strength and quickness were the only two things right now keeping him out of the league,†explained MacTavish. “He should feel good and positive about the camp that he had. He has a skill level that is very impressive; he’s going to get lots of things done at this level.â€

My questions on this board are with regard to MacT's second quote. MacT didn't really notice a delay in his ability to cover. I would sincerely like to know if fans have noticed this or perhaps there has been a quote from Hunter or the other management people in this regard.

I'm hoping London Knights returns to this thread and talks a little more about Schremp. The insight in his post above is very revealing imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->