Robbie Schremp Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good article on Schremp over at NHL.com, or here: http://www.nhl.com/futures/2004draft/schremp033004.html

"They won the gold medal and you can't say they should have picked me. They won the gold. I heard someone say because I was cut this year I won't play next year and that is b-s. I'll play if I am invited to play. If my country asks me to go play at a world junior, I will go play. It would be unbelievable."

SwOOsh*

I would love for the Caps to draft him. (Not in the top 2 though)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The more that I hear about him the more that I like him. As far as the off ice problems, I think that the media and scouts are going to look for any -'s. Scouts looking a little deeper into this can find out if this kid is just a little uppity and can mature or if its something more serious. Anyway has anyone seen this kid play? If so please make an NHL comparison. I can't get any footage of him and people seem to rave about his skill.

superjonathan

Dec 18, 2003
london, uk
i saw him play at the chl top prospects game. it's hard to make a comparison based on that one time but he was definately one of the better players out there. sorry if that's not much help.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
His personality is definitely abrasive. Saying "BS" just isn't good player speak.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
His personality is definitely abrasive. Saying "BS" just isn't good player speak.

C'mon, its nice to have a hockey player with a personality. Brash or not, at least the kid doesn't speak in cliche.

No Quarter*

I wouldn't mind having him in Pittsburgh if we miss out on Ovechkin.

Stefferdoos

Apr 5, 2003
Nashua, NH
Visit site
K215215 said:
C'mon, its nice to have a hockey player with a personality. Brash or not, at least the kid doesn't speak in cliche.

You mean the standard... "Just doing what I can to help the team blah, blah, blah...." Its refreshing to hear a person speak their mind instead of the robo-speak we hear so much of these days.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
K215215 said:
Personality is one thing, but when the tape is rolling, you've gotta switch gears a little bit. If a guy is showing off his personality to the media, I'd have questions about his maturity.

Right now, he's not saying anything that Roenick or Hull wouldn't say, but he's only 18. I'm not saying definitively whether he IS a problem child or not, but he's not helping his case right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jacobv2 said:
Personality is one thing, but when the tape is rolling, you've gotta switch gears a little bit. If a guy is showing off his personality to the media, I'd have questions about his maturity.

Right now, he's not saying anything that Roenick or Hull wouldn't say, but he's only 18. I'm not saying definitively whether he IS a problem child or not, but he's not helping his case right now.

On one hand you acknowledge he's only 18 and no doubt has some growing up to do, but on the other you're expecting him to be a seasoned veteran in front of the cameras? I mean come on, what did you expect him to say? He was refuting rumors about his feelings concerning the decision to leave him off the U.S. WJC team this year. I don't fault him for using the term "b.s."

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
why doesn't he come out and say why he left his old team?

if he actually has a legitimate reason, he can finally be absolved of this bad rep.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
but on the other you're expecting him to be a seasoned veteran in front of the cameras?
What the heck? No. Young guys like Fleury and Horton have no problem with player speak.

It's not just the BS comment. I've read a bunch of quotes from him, and they're all Roenick-y.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Jacobv2 said:
What the heck? No. Young guys like Fleury and Horton have no problem with player speak.

It's not just the BS comment. I've read a bunch of quotes from him, and they're all Roenick-y.

So if Schremp was Canadian he'd know how to talk to the media, eh? ;)

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
why doesn't he come out and say why he left his old team?

if he actually has a legitimate reason, he can finally be absolved of this bad rep.

Yeah. I'm kind of curious why he didn't just address it in that article. He skirts around the issue.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Yeah. I'm kind of curious why he didn't just address it in that article. He skirts around the issue.

Nobody knows the reason except for him and the Ice Dogs...
And I don't see neither side coming out and blaming anybody.
Yeah it's easier to come out and tell everyone everything...It's tougher and shows more character doing what he's doing, keeping his mouth shut and having people who knows nothing of the situation bad mouth him and say he's a lockerroom cancer.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Pangolin said:
Nobody knows the reason except for him and the Ice Dogs...
And I don't see neither side coming out and blaming anybody.
Yeah it's easier to come out and tell everyone everything...It's tougher and shows more character doing what he's doing, keeping his mouth shut and having people who knows nothing of the situation bad mouth him and say he's a lockerroom cancer.

The question is, does that show more character or would he have shown more character by sucking it up and not quitting on his teammates, his coach and his fans in Mississauga?

We won't know unless the reason comes out but I think it's more than fair to bash the guy for quitting on his team and not giving a reason. It would have to be a pretty darn good reason...

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Jacobv2 said:

I take your point but those guys are barely 18 years old and with the draft coming they are talked as guys who are the best Hockey players born in 1986 for North America. So I can understand it is sometimes a bit hard to keep feet on the ground when interviewed by national medias.

Have you read Ladd interview in Hockey Future a few weeks back?

extract: "I think my vision is a pretty big asset out there. My work ethic out on the ice and ability to get in the corners and overpower people are huge for my game as well. ".

WTF?
Many of those kids are overconfident right now and I think it is fairly natural. At 18 years old, every one is immature.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The question is, does that show more character or would he have shown more character by sucking it up and not quitting on his teammates, his coach and his fans in Mississauga?

We won't know unless the reason comes out but I think it's more than fair to bash the guy for quitting on his team and not giving a reason. It would have to be a pretty darn good reason...

Or that Schremp's not the 1st player to want out of that organization. Maybe it's the team and not the players.

parisefan55

Dec 30, 2003
Pangolin said:
Or that Schremp's not the 1st player to want out of that organization. Maybe it's the team and not the players.

You think?

The iceDogs have had almost every decent player that they have ever had walk out on the team. There is obviously something wrong within the organization.

Don Cherry owns the team ffs, what do you expect. How many different coaches do you think thev'ye had in the past 5 seasons? Probably 5.

People said the same things about Jason Spezza the year he was drafted as they are saying about Robbie this year because he demanded a trade and left Missy. Has it hurt Spezza at all? Did it hurt his draft position? Absolutely not.

People just need to leave the kid alone. He'll embarass all the naysayers within the next couple of years. Now you're complaining because he said b.s. in an interview? COME ON!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Did you sing the same tune when Spezza bolted Mississauga?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Mississauga and the situation there was far different when Spezza demanded his trade. Different calibre of team, different coaching staff, etc.

Yet Schremp and Spezza shared a common reason for wanting to leave: to go to a team where they felt they would have a better chance of advancing their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->