Robbie Earl potential?

Transported Upstater

Chelios said:
Please pay no attention to Hawkhead. I think he is a Wings fan just trying to make us look bad.

Chelios doesn't need any help making himself look bad...scary dude :D

Lowball Norm

Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
BINGOV said:
Earl had a strong performance throughout the Frozen Four tournament. Anyone care to speculate on his NHL potential? Does he remind you of any current NHL player?

Earl will be worse than most Leaf fans thinks but better than most Leaf haters think.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
think/blue said:
And after the semi-final /before yesterdays final, he said:

""I am one of the premier players in college hockey, and I showed it tonight and I'll show it Saturday night.""

Wow, he actually said that?

Who does he think he is?

I like Earl as a player, but with that and the dives I am losing a lot of respect for him.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Jon Prescription said:

Who does he think he is?

I like Earl as a player, but with that and the dives I am losing a lot of respect for him.
I dont like it either, a couple of my fellow leafs fans like the "confidence" but i really hope he will get that stuff whipped out of him in the AHL.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
I really dislike this guy!!! He is very talented...but soft. His goal Sat was a perfect example...He gets hit and starts limping off like he has a ripped up knee. Then he suddenly gets this "Super Power" and rushes the net and gets the goal. He did the same wussy limping thing in a 3 OT win against Cornell. Announcers talk about how brave he is...NOT, he's just a wuss!!!! I'll take Gilbert, Skille, Carlson, over that baby any day. Without a major personality overhaul, I don't see how he makes it at the next level????????????
:cry: :cry: :cry:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Gopher_Nut said:
I really dislike this guy!!! He is very talented...but soft. His goal Sat was a perfect example...He gets hit and starts limping off like he has a ripped up knee. Then he suddenly gets this "Super Power" and rushes the net and gets the goal. He did the same wussy limping thing in a 3 OT win against Cornell. Announcers talk about how brave he is...NOT, he's just a wuss!!!! I'll take Gilbert, Skille, Carlson, over that baby any day. Without a major personality overhaul, I don't see how he makes it at the next level????????????
While i agree with your post as a whole he really got smoked with a low hit right before the goal and i would think probably was hurting.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
mooseOAK said:
Let me see:

Earl's MVP at the Frozen Four, Pogge's MVP at the the WJC and various other recognitions, and Rask's top goalie honour at the WJC.

Har-de-har

Time for a Canadiens fan to ruin the day.

Yeah yeah, every team has great prospects. But, in reality Toronto leaves alot to be desired in overall depth.

I foresee Rask or Pogge being traded in the future. Why have 2 goalies? I'm sure the Leafs will wait til they can fully evaluate them. Make Rask or Pogge the backup and choose carefully.

I think it would be good for T.O. to move up in the draft to secure more youth.

Not sure why Suglobov was the only trade deadline improvement but whadda ya do.

Having Earl is a good bonus and it certainly starts a good nucleus to work from. But, with all due respect T.O. needs to prospect load a little too.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN said:
Yeah yeah, every team has great prospects. But, in reality Toronto leaves alot to be desired in overall depth.

Having Earl is a good bonus and it certainly starts a good nucleus to work from. But, with all due respect T.O. needs to prospect load a little too.

Agreed.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
mooseOAK said:
Then he went and did it.

Have fun with a guy who is already starting to sound like an AWFUL cancer if he keeps that attitude in the pros. Can't wait to see him start whining to the media when he doesn't get ice time right away or if he isn't called up early enough.

I love Robbie's skill and I know that he's a loudmouthed moron at times, but saying what he said there takes the cake.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
vanwychen27 said:
While i agree with your post as a whole he really got smoked with a low hit right before the goal and i would think probably was hurting.

Correct...It was a very good hit, it just seemed to me that he went from zero weight on his leg to full tilt on the drop of a dime. Same in the Cornell game...Can barely make it to the bench, 30 sec later he's zipping around the ice. I've seen this guy for yrs now and this "showboating" is, and always has been, the norm for him.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I haven't heard of any whisperings from within, but Robbie's comments in the media paint a small portion of the picture concerning his attitude. There was never any real news made of it locally other than his disappointment at being selected so late and a few issues he had with team rules/meetings that resulted in at least one suspension this season from coach Eaves. Other than that it really did not seem to hamper the Badgers as a team or develope into a chemestry-busting cancer. Eaves has shown during his tenure that he can nip things like this early.

As for his physical potential, he no doubt has the ability, he is one of the fastest players at the NCAA level and can stickhandle at full throttle with the best of them. Have I questioned his toughness the past two seasons? Occasionally, but he always comes back to play (as evidenced by the low hit-ensuing goal on Saturday). How he's going to hold up in the pros when more players will be able to keep up with him AND knock him off of the puck, I'm iffy on that. Unless he toughens up that way, I really don't think he's going to realize his full NHL potential. ECHL or maybe AHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:

Who does he think he is?

The thing is he's right. He is one of the best players in college hockey and was very clutch this year. He has some maturing to do as a person, but cockiness isn't such a bad trait for an athlete, especially if he can back it up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
The thing is he's right. He is one of the best players in college hockey and was very clutch this year. He has some maturing to do as a person, but cockiness isn't such a bad trait for an athlete, especially if he can back it up.

Yeah, except I don't see Earl being one of the best players in NHL hockey. Not even close.

He might make an OK 2nd liner, but I highly doubt anything more.

He's an average prospect yet he acts as if he's king of the world.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:
Yeah, except I don't see Earl being one of the best players in NHL hockey. Not even close.

He might make an OK 2nd liner, but I highly doubt anything more.

He's an average prospect yet he acts as if he's king of the world.

He's gotta a little J.R. in him, that's for sure. For the record, I don't think he'll be a great NHLer, but I think he can make it in the pros.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Gopher_Nut said:
Correct...It was a very good hit, it just seemed to me that he went from zero weight on his leg to full tilt on the drop of a dime. Same in the Cornell game...Can barely make it to the bench, 30 sec later he's zipping around the ice. I've seen this guy for yrs now and this "showboating" is, and always has been, the norm for him.

He also had some kind of leg problem in a previous game, did he not? Perhaps he has a nagging injury that flares up from time to time.

I find it strange that he has so many doubters already. Leaf fans aren't saying he's the second coming of Gretzky, we're just mildly happy that we scored a talented player in the 6th round. That's all.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
badrobot101 said:
He also had some kind of leg problem in a previous game, did he not? Perhaps he has a nagging injury that flares up from time to time.

I find it strange that he has so many doubters already. Leaf fans aren't saying he's the second coming of Gretzky, we're just mildly happy that we scored a talented player in the 6th round. That's all.

I don't doubt his ability at all!! Good hockey player. I just don't know how this psyche will work on the next level? He's been known as a "diver" waaaay before the last few games. He was taunted last yr also.

To contradict myself...Ciccerelli (sp?) did this yrs ago and he had a fine career in the NHL. He along with Earl are guys you'd want on your team but HATE them if they aren't.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Jon Prescription said:
Have fun with a guy who is already starting to sound like an AWFUL cancer if he keeps that attitude in the pros. Can't wait to see him start whining to the media when he doesn't get ice time right away or if he isn't called up early enough.

I love Robbie's skill and I know that he's a loudmouthed moron at times, but saying what he said there takes the cake.

Thats exactly what I think too, he's going to be more trouble than hes worth. I would certainly use him as bait to possibly move up a couple of places

mooseOAK*

Jon Prescription said:

The Leafs had a guy like that named Steve Sullivan and they dumped him. They probably wouldn't want to draft another one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad