Music: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2020: Doobies, mode, T Rex, Biggie, NIN,

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 inductees are... - CNN

usually there are some bitching and complaining--but this year I have no problelm

One of the key requirements is usually INFLUENCE and everyone going in falls into that catagory

first Sister Rosetta Tharpe--she is going in what would be called the builder category--

In the R and B world she is a god and her influence can be felt in early rock and roll and the british invasion--Builder category

The Moody Blues--music influence. They were always viewed as just being on the outside of being cool and are one of my favorite bands

their influence was how they mixed many style of music into their catalog. Founded in 1964 there were one of the first bands to be tagged prog rock--but off the stage they were somewhat boring and did not get the press other bands did

Bon Jovi might annoy some people--but they took to MTV and and were part of the revolution that was predicted with "video killed the radio star"--Rock and Roll now had a visual style and Bon Jovi managed to balance they style with a substance--that you either love or hate--no middle ground

Dire Straits--ask any musician about this band and how complex some of their works are

The Cars--the help bridge the 70's into the 80's and while not as popular as they once were--if you go beyond their hits--you will hear why they got in

Nina Simone--singer

Next to Billy Holliday one of the most tortured artists who ever sang the blues or Jazz

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'd never heard of Sister Tharpe, so it's hard to believe she's more deserving than The Guess Who

Reactions: hoglund

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like the Nina Simone pick. Some really heart felt songs. If he changed my name, Twelfth of Never, Lilac Wine, If you knew, The other woman, That's all I ask.

I'm a huge Jeff Buckley fan and he did a great job covering Nina Simone.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To be fair, he made a reasonable assumption since it is the hall of "fame". He didn't imply that her music isn't great.

Since we don't have a "Rock And Roll Hall of Great", I interpret the criteria about as loosely as Hart Trophy voters.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Since we don't have a "Rock And Roll Hall of Great", I interpret the criteria about as loosely as Hart Trophy voters.
I'd probably react the same way to a comment about how "it's hard to believe that a player deserves a Hart Trophy based on how 'valuable' they seem to not be."

To be fair, the rationale is there, is all I'm saying. I think it's stupid that there's an honor based on such lame criteria in the first place, though.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

Since apparently nobody else is going to post it for Nina Simone, and it's by far her most famous performance.

It'll always remind me of the great game the Saboteur though.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
No comment on the hall itself but I’ve long felt the Moody Blues are an under appreciated band. Some real great songs in their catalog.

But the spoken word poems on a couple albums are awful. Product of the 60’s in a bad way.

Cars are pretty good also. They appeal to the part of me that likes catchy, kinda dorky new wave music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->