RLR Top 10 for 2007

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The first thing we must note is that we've all been getting a little spoiled at the top end of the draft the past few years with the Russian super-studs, Alexander Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin, in 2004, Sidney Crosby in 2005, and Erik Johnson, the top blue line prospect of the last 15 years, headlining the show this year. While it's tough to produce that marquee level of talent every year, a look ahead to 2007 appears to offer a nicely varied mix of talent evenly spread between forward and defence, and between North America and Europe.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20060824_125517_3408

1. Angelo Esposito C 6-0/180 R 20 FEB 89 Quebec
2. Nick Petrecki D 6-3/205 L 11 JUL 89 Omaha
3. Logan Couture C 6-0/191 L 03 MAR 89 Ottawa
4. Jakub Voracek RW 6-1/174 L 15 AUG 89 Halifax
5. Mike Hoeffel C 6-2/190 L 09 APR 89 U.S. NTDP U-18
6. Egor Averin RW 5-10/165 L 25 AUG 89 Avang. Omsk
7. Stephen Lund D 6-3/200 R 09 SEP 89 PEI
8. Karl Alzner D 6-2/200 L 24 SEP 88 Calgary
9. Michal Repik RW 5-11/172 R 31 DEC 88 Vancouver
10. David Skokan LW 6-0/192 L 06 DEC 88 Rimouski

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/redline_top10_aug06.php

X-SHARKIE

I think the 2007 crop could have another marquee top end talent IMO. From what i've seen at this stage, if Voracek, Esposito, and Couture have big years, they could all easily be seen as "big time" talents worthy of the #1 selection. Although the top end may be like 03 where there are no "phenoms" there will be 3-5 guys worthy of the #1 spot arguably and all could go on to have very productive NHL careers like Staal, Horton, Zherdev, Fleury ect.

Interesting, whose Hoeffel? Never seen him play, probally similar to their love fest for Forney early on last year. Egor Averin came way out of left field for myself, anyone know about him, did he have a big U-18's recently?

Lund a top 10 guy right now? Interesting.

Kent Patterson of Minnesota is their highest ranked goalie.

Backlund & Sutter outside of the top 10.

I'm anxious for the Buc-Bowl to see Petrecki.

Is Skokan really worth a top 10 right now?

Danny30

Jun 6, 2006
I think the 2007 crop could have another marquee top end talent IMO. From what i've seen at this stage, if Voracek, Esposito, and Couture have big years, they could all easily be seen as "big time" talents worthy of the #1 selection. Although the top end may be like 03 where there are no "phenoms" there will be 3-5 guys worthy of the #1 spot arguably and all could go on to have very productive NHL careers like Staal, Horton, Zherdev, Fleury ect.

Interesting, whose Hoeffel? Never seen him play, probally similar to their love fest for Forney early on last year. Egor Averin came way out of left field for myself, anyone know about him, did he have a big U-18's recently?

Lund a top 10 guy right now? Interesting.

Kent Patterson of Minnesota is their highest ranked goalie.

Backlund & Sutter outside of the top 10.

I'm anxious for the Buc-Bowl to see Petrecki.

Is Skokan really worth a top 10 right now?

Hoeffel is a U of Minn recruit. Big kid, quick for his size. Finisher.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
That list is reaalllyyy suspect. A lot of top end kids missing and some that shouldn't be on it. I know it's early but....

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Suprised Backlund isn't in the top ten. Alot of Swedes think he is better than backstrom.

Backlund was terrific during the first half of the season, but did not end it as well. He played three decent (but not spectacular) WJC games in April before suffering a concussion.

This season (well preseason) he has been doing okay so far, scoring 5 or 6 points in U18 World Cup and playing so far well in the preseason games with his second tier league team in Sweden.

Personally, I like Dane Lars Eller better at this point, but I guess it will take a few months (or even more) before he will be appearing on those draft rankings. As for Backlund, I guess we will know more in a month or so when he has some regular season games with Västerås under his belt.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i dont care for this list too much at all. i think couture should be number 1, and i question whether petrecki is a top 5 pick right now. backlund should be in the top 10 somewhere if not top 5. i dont think hoeffel is a top 5 pick right now, but i think by next june he will be drafted in the top 15, i would replace him with van reimsdyk if you want a big usa forward from the ntdp. also as ive said before, pat kane looks like hes gonna go in the top 15 when its all said and done, even if hes not ranked that high now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I've been on the same mind regarding that for some time...

In Woodlief's mind (and alot of other people's as well) Erik Johnson is the best defensive prospect in the last fifteen or so years. It's his opinion and certainly isn't out there based on Johnson's potential. Johnson can do it all and can play the game anyway you want him to. Add in his size, skating, and shot, and it's easy to see why many are so high on him.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

I agree, Pat Kane could slip into the top 5 by the end of the season if he plays in the OHL IMO. Sam Gagner will likely be a top 10 guy.

I also think that Esposito, Couture, Voracek are head of everyone else at this point and either way there should be a lot of top end talent available in this draft, and plenty of depth.

I'm excited about the 07 class.

Backlund was terrific during the first half of the season, but did not end it as well. He played three decent (but not spectacular) WJC games in April before suffering a concussion.

This season (well preseason) he has been doing okay so far, scoring 5 or 6 points in U18 World Cup and playing so far well in the preseason games with his second tier league team in Sweden.

Personally, I like Dane Lars Eller better at this point, but I guess it will take a few months (or even more) before he will be appearing on those draft rankings. As for Backlund, I guess we will know more in a month or so when he has some regular season games with Västerås under his belt.

Is Eller a late bloomer? His stats seem quite a bit worse than Backlund's.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's funny what being the first overall pick can do to a player. At this time last year, Johnson wasn't even the concensus first overall pick and even up to draft day there were doubts, but now that he was taken there he's the best defensive prospect of the past 15 years. Speaking honestly, Bouwmeester's hype during his draft year was about double what EJ's was, and it's hilarious how they say there will be no player like those mentioned above in this draft, that is, until about a month before it takes place and they'll crown a new hype king.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
It's funny what being the first overall pick can do to a player. At this time last year, Johnson wasn't even the concensus first overall pick and even up to draft day there were doubts, but now that he was taken there he's the best defensive prospect of the past 15 years. Speaking honestly, Bouwmeester's hype during his draft year was about double what EJ's was, and it's hilarious how they say there will be no player like those mentioned above in this draft, that is, until about a month before it takes place and they'll crown a new hype king.

IIRC Redline was calling Johnson "the best defensive prospect in . . . " for a long time beforethe draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's funny what being the first overall pick can do to a player. At this time last year, Johnson wasn't even the concensus first overall pick and even up to draft day there were doubts, but now that he was taken there he's the best defensive prospect of the past 15 years.

Kovalchuk was kinda like EJ in 2001 when months before the draft it was supposed to be Spezza first overall. Sometimes big draft years are a sign of things to come.

Bouwmeester obviously had more hype than most D that I can remember. But really, here is a list of the first defensemen taken in the last 15 years:

2006: Erik Johnson
2005: Jack Johnson
2004: Cam Barker
2003: Ryan Suter
2002: Jay Bouwmeester
2001: Mike Komisarek
2000: Rostislav Klesla
1999: Branislav Mezei
1998: Brad Stuart
1997: Eric Brewer
1996: Chris Phillips
1995: Bryan Berard
1994: Ed Jovanovski
1993: Chris Pronger
1992: Roman Hamrlik

Just off of that list, maybe the only recent guys I'd argue are Jack Johnson and J-Bo. Admittedly I'm too young to remember the draft hype for guys like Pronger. And it's not like Woodlief is afraid to use hyperbole in his articles either.

GSK*

BTW, I don't know a lot about prospect for next year, execpt Couture, Esposito.

Where I cand find nice analyse and good details/listing.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Is Eller a late bloomer? His stats seem quite a bit worse than Backlund's.

I do not think you can call a 16, 17-year old forward a late bloomer really. However, Eller has made these strides since last spring and until now. He has played some fantastic games during preseason and has improved in basically all game aspects. Look for his stats/production to significantly increase during 50/06.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->