RJ Umberger- Colby Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb**

Looking for an unbiased view and opinion on these 2 players. As Evilo and myself have been debating this recently. We have our opinions lets see some others.
1) Who do you think is the better player?
2) Who do you think has the higher ceiling?

Shelby-villains

Jan 20, 2006
I think Colby plays a more physical game with better defensive instincts while Umberger probably has more offensive talent. They both look like third line guys who can score goals with the right linemates. If I had to choose, I would give a slight edge to Colby because I don't think you can count on either of them to score with regularity.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Shelby-villains said:
I think Colby plays a more physical game with better defensive instincts while Umberger probably has more offensive talent. They both look like third line guys who can score goals with the right linemates. If I had to choose, I would give a slight edge to Colby because I don't think you can count on either of them to score with regularity.

Huh? Umberger has 15 goals playing third line minutes and has been showing more and more confidence in his offensive game as the season progresses, which has resulted in more ice time and responsibility. With his size and skill he could be a 25-30 goal scorer as soon as next season. I'm not sure the same can be said of Armstrong, even on a team like Pittsburgh.

kovyfalcon27

Feb 3, 2004
Blairsville, PA
Rabid Ranger said:
Huh? Umberger has 15 goals playing third line minutes and has been showing more and more confidence in his offensive game as the season progresses, which has resulted in more ice time and responsibility. With his size and skill he could be a 25-30 goal scorer as soon as next season. I'm not sure the same can be said of Armstrong, even on a team like Pittsburgh.

Well Colby has 12 goals in 36 games which would be roughly 27 over a full season, so I'm pretty sure you can say the same thing about him.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
I don't get to see either of them play very often, but consider that Armstrong has 2 points less than Umberger but has played 26 less games. His scoring has definitely surprised me this year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
While I think Umberger has the higher upside, I wouldn't trade Armstrong for him straight-up at this point.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm a Pens fan, so there may be some bias...but regardless.

1. Who's better...
Now: Armstrong...by a slight bit. May be the fact he has amazing chemestry with Crosby, may be the fact he's playing with Crosby period, but he's playing pretty impressively all around right now. All facets of his game are already strong.
Future: Armstrong...by a slight bit. His game is more well-rounded...plus if he keeps developing a scoring touch he could legitimately find himself paired with Crosby for quite a while, he's already Crosby's preferred linemate. The left winger on Crosby's line seems to change every 5 games, but Colby has been there almost since the start of his stint in Pittsburgh.

2. Higher Ceiling
Umberger, definitely. Armstrong's ceiling was supposed to be third liner...Umberger's as a top 6 forward. Umberger has the potential to be a solid second line center who can play defense and score on regularity...Armstrong, without Crosby, was supposed to be a third line power forward with some offense...a poor man's Darcy Tucker.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Armstrong looks like a dweeb. His game this season has been very good. He hits, scores, kills penalties (while being a threat shorthanded) and clucks away at the other teams like a mother hen. I'd take Army right now and probably in the future though I expect Umberger to score more than Armstrong.
Whose nose grows the largest will be the better hockey player. You heard it here first, folks.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
RJ Umberger certainly has higher upside simply because he has more offensive potential.

Colby Armstrong is the more solid prospect though, simply because his all around game is good enough to keep him in the NHL even if he doesnt progress as an offensive force more than he has already shown.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Offense isn't everything and you have to love what Army brings to the table every game.

RJ has the higher upside in terms of offensive production and is a more skilled player.

Army has shown a nose for the net and a great awareness to find the rebound and put it in. And while not being as skilled, i would take Army. I just love the type of game he plays. Isnt as good a skater/shooter/puckhandler, but the guy plays with heart every game.

And yes you could say his numbers aren't indictive of his skills as an offensive producer because he gets first line time and plays with Sid. But it goes both ways, he gets more time but his line faces the best defenders most shifts, RJ has the cushion of playing behind two very good lines and faces the lower pairings.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's interesting that people are talking about the defensive side and mention Umberger being sub par when that is actually one of his strengths. In the AHL playoff he was pushed to a shut down 3rd line center role when Carter and Richards came in and embraced the role. He was awesome in those playoffs on the defensive end and is a very responsible player for a young guy. I would take Umberger now, Umberger next year, and Umberger for the future, but I do have a bias obviously.

myrocketsgotcracked

Grave77digger said:
were the Canucks compensated for losing umberger?

he was traded for rucinsky, so that was our compensation for losing umberger i guess :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad