Ristoreilly's 2018 NHL Mock Draft - March

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I vaguely take team needs into account, but most NHL GM's will tell you they go BPA in the first round.

1. :coyotes - Rasmus Dahlin, LHD, Frolunda (Sweden)

2. :sabres - Adam Boqvist, RHD, Brynas (Sweden)

3. :sens - Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie (OHL)

4. :nucks - Filip Zadina, RW, Halifax (QMJHL)

5. :wings - Brady Tkachuk, LW, USA NTDP (USHL)

6. :habs - Oliver Wahlstrom, C, USA NTDP (USHL)

7. :edmonton - Quinn Hughes, LHD, Michigan (NCAA)

8. :rangers - Noah Dobson, RHD, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)

9. :hawks - Evan Bouchard, RHD, London (OHL)

10. :isles - Ty Smith, LHD, Spokane (WHL)

11. :canes - Joe Veleno, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)

12. :panthers - Bode Wilde, RHD, USA NTDP (USHL)

13. :flyers (from STL) - Barrett Hayton, C, Sault Ste Marie (OHL)

14. :isles (from CGY) - Rasmus Kupari, C, Karpat (Finland)

15. :kings - Ryan Merkley, RHD, Guelph (OHL)

16. :cbj - Joel Farabee, LW, USA NTDP (USHL)

17. :devils - Ryan McLeod, C, Mississauga (OHL)

18. :ducks - Isac Lundestrom, C, Lulea (Sweden)

19. :avs - Grigori Denisenko, LW, Yaroslavl (Russia)

20. :flyers - Jared McIsaac, LHD, Halifax (QMJHL)

21. :sharks - Jacob Olofsson, C, Timra (Sweden)

22. :stars - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Assat (Finland)

23. :caps - Mattias Samuelsson, LHD, USA NTDP (USHL)

24. :wild - Akil Thomas, C, Niagara (OHL)

25. :leafs - Serron Noel, RW, Oshawa (OHL)

26. :blues (from WPG) - Dominik Bokk, LW, Vaxjo (Sweden)

27. :rangers (from BOS) - Jack McBain, C, Toronto (OJHL)

28. :sens (from PIT) - Jett Woo, RHD, Moose Jaw (WHL)

29. :wings (from VGK) - Calen Addison, RHD, Lethbridge (WHL)

30. :hawks (from NSH) - Benoit-Olivier Groulx, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

31. :rangers (from TB) - Rasmus Sandin, LHD, Sault Ste Marie (OHL)

Reactions: flyersdad

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Wahlstrom at 6 would make me a very happy fan!

Question though, judging based on your username and avatar, I think you're a Sabres fan, right? Boqvist is a hell of a player, but he does have a couple of red flags, including his size and spotty defensive play at times. Do you really think the Sabres will pass on Svechnikov if they had the 2nd overall pick? I know Buffalo needs a defenseman, but to me, Svechnikov is too good to pass up. Curious to hear your thoughts.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Wahlstrom at 6 would make me a very happy fan!

Question though, judging based on your username and avatar, I think you're a Sabres fan, right? Boqvist is a hell of a player, but he does have a couple of red flags, including his size and spotty defensive play at times. Do you really think the Sabres will pass on Svechnikov if they had the 2nd overall pick? I know Buffalo needs a defenseman, but to me, Svechnikov is too good to pass up. Curious to hear your thoughts.
I really like Boqvist. We have so many quality winger prospects already that it wouldn't make sense for us to take another. Some would say, "Take Svechnikov and flip Nylander for a D prospect", but Nylander is developing slowly and he wouldn't have the trade value to get someone of Boqvist's caliber.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Boqvist won't go that high. Kupari is not better than Kotkaniemi. You're missing Kravtsov on your list.

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
I’m not the biggest fan of Boqvist over both Svechnikov and Zadina. I don’t hate it either. I don’t like Tkachuk in the top 5, nor do I think Detroit would take him. I see them taking either Dobson or Bouchard, with Montreal taking the other. Merkley is way to high, in my opinion he’s no longer a first rounder. Kotkaniemi and Bokk are a bit to low. Kraft sob is missing from your list, he’s point per game in the KHL playoffs in 5 games so far, I easily have him top 20.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Overall pretty good IMO but if the Sharks passed on Kotkaniemi for a guy the same size, five months older, and producing at an inferior rate in the Allsvenskan than Kotkaniemi is in the FEL, I’ll throw something. Probably my shoe at my television.

Reactions: Gecklund

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Overall pretty good IMO but if the Sharks passed on Kotkaniemi for a guy the same size, five months older, and producing at an inferior rate in the Allsvenskan than Kotkaniemi is in the FEL, I’ll throw something. Probably my shoe at my television.
From what I've read, the rate at which he's putting up points in the Allsvenskan is up there with some big names. His production is nothing to scoff at.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
From what I've read, the rate at which he's putting up points in the Allsvenskan is up there with some big names. His production is nothing to scoff at.

“Nothing to scoff at” isn’t more impressive than “scored at the same rate in the FEL than Mikko Rantanen in his draft season despite being nine months younger”.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
“Nothing to scoff at” isn’t more impressive than “scored at the same rate in the FEL than Mikko Rantanen in his draft season despite being nine months younger”.
To be fair, Rantanen production was incredible considering how terrible TPS was that year. He was the only player on that team with some kind of promise. Ässät is a lot better team than TPS was that year.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Perfect pick for the Habs in my opinion. Pretty bold for the Sabres to skip on Svechnikov in my opinion even if your team would probably prefer a D over a winger. Its hard to pass on such a talent to go for positional need at #2.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If Dallas gets Jesperi at 21 I'll forgive Nill for all of his other draft blunders. He's awesome I have him just outside of the top 10.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I agree. I’d be okay with them taking Samuelsson too but I’d rather Kotkaniemi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad