Value of: Ristolainen

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Risto + for a better replacement.

No other type of deal makes any remote sense from the Sabres POV

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is this the consensus the numale cabal of meme statisticians has reached?
Considering watching the Sabres is as exciting as watching paint dry which limits the usefulness of the eye test, "meme statistics" are about as reliable a metric as you can get in this case.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Considering watching the Sabres is as exciting as watching paint dry which limits the usefulness of the eye test, "meme statistics" are about as reliable a metric as you can get in this case.
I would think everyone would enjoy watching the Sabres since it would likely mean it was their favorite team facing them!

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The guy you trade ROR for. In fact, if Risto is playing the bulk of our top minutes again next year, prepare for another lotto pick. So, yeah, I really don't care who replaces him.
So that's the master plan huh? Destroy our center depth and put another defenseman in the near impossible role that Ristolainen has been asked to play? What could possibly go wrong? If Ristolainen is traded for a package centered around a winger Botterill is an absolute moron. Those trades set the rebuild back further. You won't have to worry about a lotto pick for just next season, you'll be in the running for multiple seasons of lotto picks.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Limited knowledge here, but I've liked him every time I've seen him. He puts up points, seems like he can play physical if needed, and in one game he actually got in Crosby's face which, for some reason, is a foreign concept to almost every other defenseman in the league.

Maybe if there was some pressure taken off of him he could be a great piece for Buffalo. I think of Schultz in Pittsburgh in some ways.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
So that's the master plan huh? Destroy our center depth and put another defenseman in the near impossible role that Ristolainen has been asked to play? What could possibly go wrong? If Ristolainen is traded for a package centered around a winger Botterill is an absolute moron. Those trades set the rebuild back further. You won't have to worry about a lotto pick for just next season, you'll be in the running for multiple seasons of lotto picks.

This team is a joke. You hold too high of an opinion of these players. When the player who plays half a game every night almost always gets steamrolled, that's a problem with him. I would absolutely trade Ristolainen if it meant we were getting some quality depth in return and let a stop gap fill his role. Do you really think it can get worse? It can't.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This is an absolute crap offer for Buffalo. Especially with trying to dump Lucic or Sekera onto them.
Sekera isn't an awful contract, I'd argue he even played above his value last year, and while he wasn't amazing this year, 5 million for a top4 d isn't insane. Plus he should be better next year when he isn't recovering from surgery.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sekera isn't an awful contract, I'd argue he even played above his value last year, and while he wasn't amazing this year, 5 million for a top4 d isn't insane. Plus he should be better next year when he isn't recovering from surgery.
Yea but Risto is signed at 5.5 for another 5 years or whatever.

I don’t see the need to trade Risto until we 1. Win the lottery and 2. Trade ROR for a D to replace him

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Yea but Risto is signed at 5.5 for another 5 years or whatever.

I don’t see the need to trade Risto until we 1. Win the lottery and 2. Trade ROR for a D to replace him
I mean I'm not defending the trade, I was just implying stating Sekera's contract isn't even close to Lucic's

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
This team is a joke. You hold too high of an opinion of these players. When the player who plays half a game every night almost always gets steamrolled, that's a problem with him. I would absolutely trade Ristolainen if it meant we were getting some quality depth in return and let a stop gap fill his role. Do you really think it can get worse? It can't.
This team is a joke and some of that falls on both O'Reilly and Ristolainen. Neither are sacred cows as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not willing to move either just for the sake of change for lesser pieces. Ristolainen isn't Drew Doughty or Victor Hedman and deploying him like he is is setting him up for failure. You don't trade good players for depth, you draft and develop players for depth to help build around your best players. This team has been terrible at drafting and developing players to help take the burden off our best players. We finally have some semblence of depth now with some of our upcoming prospects. It can absolutely get worse here if you start moving your best players for lesser players and prospects.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
How does Kapanen, 1st and Liljegren sound for Ristolainen?

Gives the Sabres another 1st round pick in this draft, a fast, defensively sound player who can play up and down the lineup (he's mostly been stuck on our 3rd and 4th lines so don't just judge him by his stats) and a blue chip prospect? I like the fact that he dislikes Kadri as well that means they would get on very well on the same team.

I'd do this. But I like Liljegren better than most. I think he'll be a top-10 player from his draft year. Throw in a guy I think will consistently score 20 goals per season in Kapanen, and a pick in the early 20's, and I'm on board.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
This team is a joke and some of that falls on both O'Reilly and Ristolainen. Neither are sacred cows as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not willing to move either just for the sake of change for lesser pieces. Ristolainen isn't Drew Doughty or Victor Hedman and deploying him like he is is setting him up for failure. You don't trade good players for depth, you draft and develop players for depth to help build around your best players. This team has been terrible at drafting and developing players to help take the burden off our best players. We finally have some semblence of depth now with some of our upcoming prospects. It can absolutely get worse here if you start moving your best players for lesser players and prospects.

I agree Ristolainen is no Doughty or Hedman. But I gaurentee, if Buffalo made some kind of amazing trade and swaped the two players, Ristolainen would be a +20 and look like a top notch defenceman, and Hedman would be a -20 and appear to have regressed big time. That's what everyone on these boards would be saying and it wouldn't be true at all. They'd both be the exact same players that look a lot different, because there playing on different teams. If you put a good offence around Risto that can keep the puck on the other end of the ice, have an offence that doesn't leave players wide open every time the other team cycles the puck, get a decent D corp together, and a decent goalie, everyone would see a totally different Ristolainen.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd do this. But I like Liljegren better than most. I think he'll be a top-10 player from his draft year. Throw in a guy I think will consistently score 20 goals per season in Kapanen, and a pick in the early 20's, and I'm on board.

I'd also do it, because I'm higher on Risto, particularly under the coaching of Babcock, than most.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I love Liljegren I was hoping he'd be our pick instead of Mittlestadt (not that I'm complaining given Mittlestadt's development), but I'm not trading Ristolainen for that package. I think Kapanen is overrated and a late 1st doesn't really do too much for me. Just my 2 cents.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Assuming this is at the draft and oilers dont win 1st oa.

Puljujarvi
2018 1St(8th-10th) or 2019 1st unprotected
Russel or Sekera

Im not sure what Buffalo fans would want or if they even want to move him. A lateral move for one of our LH dmen makes no sense either.

If Buffalo win 1st oa itd be pretty spiphy having another top 10 pick for another dman but i think Risto would be important in insulating Dahlin.

Didn’t mind this deal at all. If the plan is to truly use the draft to regroup.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
If Trouba has dreams of apple pie and playing under the star spangled banner, we could do worse than than a Jake for Rasmus swap. Buffalo gets the better D-man, but the Jets get an age-equivalent player to skate with MoJo.

Fill in as needed, but I could get on board *if* we're in a holding pattern with Jake.

Also, we collect Fins.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If Trouba has dreams of apple pie and playing under the star spangled banner, we could do worse than than a Jake for Rasmus swap. Buffalo gets the better D-man, but the Jets get an age-equivalent player to skate with MoJo.

Fill in as needed, but I could get on board *if* we're in a holding pattern with Jake.

Also, we collect Fins.
That'd be the type of deal that I could get behind. Gives us a very good young defenseman in return not a bunch of spare parts like most are offering.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

It might be a fair trade value, but don't think the Leafs do it. Leafs should be contenders in a few years and they think Liljegren will be part of that. Kapanen might be better than he has shown and will be needed when wingers JVR and Komarov leave via UFA and when/ if Nylander goes to centre. As much as folks talk about the Leafs needing a RHD, they have no real prospects at centre....so the pick is valuable too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad