Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I am very optimistic that the Jays will have a very good off-season filling the needs that need to be. This off-season will put all Shatkins haters to bed.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
But realistically speaking, if the Jays get better OF production then Bautista, a super utility player, #3-5 starter, and trade Morales. That's would be a huge improvement to the team, making it a contender health pending.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I fully expect a treading-water offseason just like that, with similar results next year, maybe a bit better due to health.

and no, I won't be happy with that.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I fully expect a treading-water offseason just like that, with similar results next year, maybe a bit better due to health.

and no, I won't be happy with that.

On what basis are you making these assumptions? Nothing being rumored or discussed thus far correspond to threading-water moves being consummated.

Atkins is saying openly that they will be shopping hard for position players as a priority. As well they are saying and it has been reported that they are going to be in the Otani sweepstakes. Why the negativity?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
On what basis are you making these assumptions? Nothing being rumored or discussed thus far correspond to threading-water moves being consummated.

Atkins is saying openly that they will be shopping hard for position players as a priority. As well they are saying and it has been reported that they are going to be in the Otani sweepstakes. Why the negativity?

I'm not negative - I think they'll do exactly what you said - add a mediocre SP and a mediocre position player, plus some cheap adds.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’m hoping for another offseason like last one.... like how they said they needed to ‘address’ the OF and get faster/more athletic.

...so they signed Kendrys Morales and Steve Pearce.

So will ‘pitching’ mean another fat, slow, corner IF? Gee, I hope so!

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think you all will be surprised. I think there will be more turnaround then you all think. And the additions will be better options then last off season. This past season it was proven their strategy didn't work to bank on health and repeat seasons. They will change that direction this off season. Watch!!!

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Atkins is full of ****. He’s at the Hyundai dealer while all the real players are looking at Ferrari’s and Lambos. Expect value signings or reclamation projects.

The Jays will need to pay more than the Yankees/Dodgers etc. for Otani.. Even if they did, why the hell would he have any confidence in this group?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Atkins is full of ****. He’s at the Hyundai dealer while all the real players are looking at Ferrari’s and Lambos. Expect value signings or reclamation projects.

The Jays will need to pay more than the Yankees/Dodgers etc. for Otani.. Even if they did, why the hell would he have any confidence in this group?

Like last season players will be still searching for contracts long after FA starts. Like players EE and Bautista were last season.

Not everyone looking to buy power bats for what they are asking. Bargains may be had for very good players. How's Cleveland feeling today with EE?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Like last season players will be still searching for contracts long after FA starts. Like players EE and Bautista were last season.

Not everyone looking to buy power bats for what they are asking. Bargains may be had for very good players. How's Cleveland feeling today with EE?
Better than the Jays are with Kendrys ****** Morales and their 75 win team after back to back playoff appearances.

They want to get more athletic so their big signing is a guy who needs a bra? Why the **** should I have any confidence in these clowns?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

So you call Atkins cheap in the first paragraph and in the second paragraph say that it makes no sense to dish big cash for Otani because of our roster

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So you call Atkins cheap in the first paragraph and in the second paragraph say that it makes no sense to dish big cash for Otani because of our roster
I didn’t say that at all, actually. I said even if they did pony up, Otani wants to play for a competitive team - why the hell would he sign in Toronto?

....not that it’ll be a problem, the Jays aren’t outbidding the Dodgers, Yankees etc.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I didn’t say that at all, actually. I said even if they did pony up, Otani wants to play for a competitive team - why the hell would he sign in Toronto?

....not that it’ll be a problem, the Jays aren’t outbidding the Dodgers, Yankees etc.

Pretty sure with the posting system it’s a mystery bid so every team will be able to submit an offer and the highest one gets to negotiate with the player. If Jays do bid the highest, Otani has the choice between Toronto and Japan IIRC.

When the Jays outbid Cleveland for EE were they still at the Hyundai dealer?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Pretty sure with the posting system it’s a mystery bid so every team will be able to submit an offer and the highest one gets to negotiate with the player. If Jays do bid the highest, Otani has the choice between Toronto and Japan IIRC.

And what are the chances the Jays actually outbid the Dodgers, Yankees etc?

Nah, they were employing bl**j** Upton and signing Kendrys Morales. Why did that whole thing happen? Well, it seems to me there was a clear lack of communication, no?

..... and now they haven’t even had dialogue with Donaldson? Not even a phone call to your mvp?

....gee, these guys just instil confidence, don’t they? :sarcasm:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
mediocre gm that took a crap team with a crap farm system and turned it into one of the best teams and systems in baseball in only 5yrs.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
And what are the chances the Jays actually outbid the Dodgers, Yankees etc?

Nah, they were employing ******* Upton and signing Kendrys Morales. Why did that whole thing happen? Well, it seems to me there was a clear lack of communication, no?

..... and now they haven’t even had dialogue with Donaldson? Not even a phone call to your mvp?

....gee, these guys just instil confidence, don’t they? :sarcasm:

Lack of communication?

Fans will be angry over the deadline imposed on Encarnacion. That’s absolutely fair. Here’s what happened: Shapiro and Atkins made Encarnacion the $80-million offer and told him they needed a quick answer. The initial deadline was extended, twice, for a total of about 72 hours, which gave Encarnacion approximately a week to consider the offer.

Encarnacion and his agent Paul Kinzer, however, were under no illusion. They’d been told by Shapiro and Atkins that the Blue Jays would move to make other signings if a deal didn’t get done. When the deadline passed, Shapiro and Atkins sprang into action and signed Kendrys Morales to a three-year, $33-million deal on November 11.

Jays had the market right on Encarnacion - Article - TSN

Right, total lack of communication. Calm down, Atlantas not too far from Toronto.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Think the posting system expired so the bidding process is in flux, but if they continue with the previous one then pretty much any team could hit the 20m max bid. This is just the worst time for Otani to come over because he's still under IFA rules for at least two more years IIRC.

I'm not negative - I think they'll do exactly what you said - add a mediocre SP and a mediocre position player, plus some cheap adds.

Because Price > Happ + Estrada

As much as I love Yu there are several red flags there that it's more than likely not worth the 150m gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad