Boston Bruins RIP Roger Naples at 97 - Longtime director of the Gallery Gods and Bruins No. 1 fan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wonder who the one player was who he didn't consider a friend.

@Ratty I know he was angry at Esposito for years for being a no show at a Gallery God function. The Gallery Gods and not the Bruins controlled the second balcony and who got the seats. The second balcony had its own separate entrance on Beverly Street which the GG's controlled. That ended when Jacobs got control of the building in 1975.

Not sure about that. Last I knew,the Deforges were the longest season ticket holders,somewhere around 60 years.

@BNHL Naples said 1938 so that was almost 80 years ago. He came to both of my parents wakes as they were members of the GG's and how they met.

He lived to be 97 and he was still seen at TD in recent years watching on Level 9. He wasn't cheated.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Roger Naples made his final visit to TD Garden in April 2015, when he participated in presenting the Eddie Shore Award to Bruins winger Milan Lucic.
The Shore award for “exceptional hustle and determination” was established by the team’s most loyal fans, the Gallery Gods, whose original domain was the second balcony of the original Boston Garden.

Naples — who went by a shortened version of his last name, Napolitano — helped found the Gallery Gods in 1937, when he and his friends sat in the Garden watching Shore, a Hall of Fame defenseman. And 78 seasons later, he closed out his decades at the Bruins’ home rink by standing in a corner of the ice with three generations of Shore’s family.

A lifelong Revere resident who served as the city’s recreation director for more than 40 years, Mr. Napolitano died of congestive heart failure Oct. 13 in Massachusetts General Hospital. The longtime Gallery Gods president was 97.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...y-gods-dies/jsT2QBHYjbyKieuWlXYXpJ/story.html

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Roger Naples made his final visit to TD Garden in April 2015, when he participated in presenting the Eddie Shore Award to Bruins winger Milan Lucic.
The Shore award for “exceptional hustle and determination” was established by the team’s most loyal fans, the Gallery Gods, whose original domain was the second balcony of the original Boston Garden.

Naples — who went by a shortened version of his last name, Napolitano — helped found the Gallery Gods in 1937, when he and his friends sat in the Garden watching Shore, a Hall of Fame defenseman. And 78 seasons later, he closed out his decades at the Bruins’ home rink by standing in a corner of the ice with three generations of Shore’s family.

A lifelong Revere resident who served as the city’s recreation director for more than 40 years, Mr. Napolitano died of congestive heart failure Oct. 13 in Massachusetts General Hospital. The longtime Gallery Gods president was 97.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...y-gods-dies/jsT2QBHYjbyKieuWlXYXpJ/story.html

He wasn't cheated - He came to both of my parents wake and that tells me all I have to know about him as a person. As I have written before, no Gallery Gods - no me.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
22712523_10213435622217697_6193830480909678543_o.jpg

Reactions: Chief Nine

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Roger Naples was also a footnote in one of the most notorious crimes in Boston history.

When it came to the City of Revere, Roger knew just about everything going on and he implored media friends at the Herald and friends at the Boston Police that Charles Stuart was no choirboy. The police didn't want to hear it but the Herald started to dig thanks to Roger's tip....and the truth came out.

Naples ran the Revere recreation department for over 40 years and was beloved by all.

Reactions: dafoomie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad