Prospect Info: Rinat Valiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
A D-Man who couldn't even crack toronto's starting lineup could be in our top 4!! :laugh::laugh:

Okay, let's try this again because you seem to have missed something. I SAID that Valiev is more than capable of becoming a #6 D-Man in this league for years to come. With that said, along with a bunch of other defensive prospects the Leafs have, he has the potential to become a #4 D-Man should his development continue to trend upwards. He has the skating and hockey IQ to get there along with the size and physicality to not look out of place in this league (what Jerabek lacked). Nowhere in the original post nor in this post do I say that he WILL be a Top 4 D-Man but I do say that, with continued growth, there is s possibility that becoming a #4 D-Man is in the cards. See the difference?

The reason that Valiev did not crack the Leafs D lineup is that Dermott and Carrick were ahead of him in development. This in no way reflects on the final positions each player will hold once they reach the peak of their careers. Do I mean that Valiev will necessarily be better in the end than Dermott or Carrick? No, but the reason they have the spots now are because they were simply ahead of him in development as it currently stands. For an example of what I mean, this is a similar situation to the reason why Team Canada at the WJC chose to go away from Glass and Suzuki despite the fact that they likely have a higher ceiling than almost anyone on the roster. Simply put, as it stands today, the other players were more ready and complete. Hell, the Leafs just drafted 2 more defensive prospects in Liljegren and Räsänen that simply made some of their "older" prospects expendable for what they needed.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
A D-Man who couldn't even crack toronto's starting lineup could be in our top 4!! :laugh::laugh:

It's happened before that a young dman who hadn't fully developed and/or had the chance to prove themselves/get comfortable at the NHL was the odd man out and went on to have a good career. We got Gorges in that situation. He was a legit top 4 for many years.

From our own camp, we lost Francois Beauchemin and Robbidas in a similar situations. Even Mark Streit falls into that category. He didn't make our top six as a dman, then went on to become a no. 1 62 point all star dman with the Islanders.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
he is another Jerabek....he will be gone next season

stop over hyping these useless plugs,

he was never even given a chance on the leafs team and they have horrible D to begin with,

you think they would trade him away if he was useful? :rolleyes:

The book isn't shut on Jerabek. It takes at least a year for most players who played on big ice surfaces to get used to the North American game. See Mark Streit as the prototypical example.

I have zero confidence in this management team's ability to evaluate talent, including our own.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The book isn't shut on Jerabek. It takes at least a year for most players who played on big ice surfaces to get used to the North American game. See Mark Streit as the prototypical example.

I have zero confidence in this management team's ability to evaluate talent, including our own.

If by 'evaluating talent' you mean more specifically casting off borderline guys who have some potential before they got a fair chance (according to some fans) then MB's record has been fantastic so far I hate to say it. We keep thinking we're throwing away guys that will come back to bite us (again the borderline guys, not the PKs and Sergachevs) and they never do. Sekac, DSP (to a lesser extent), Ghetto, Lessio and a few others. I don't think one has bit us yet. If there's one thing I'm confident about this management is getting rid of these type of players.

Now that being said, they're due to throw away one of these guys and it ends up hurting us. Jerabek could very well be that guy. I liked the little I saw of him but still the track record's there in this similar situation.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Should we be worried about locker room conflict then? :(

We sometimes classify people into categories without knowing the facts. For instance Galynchuk is born in Wisconsin is a Russian to most folks The Nylander born in Calgary and spent most of their childhood in North America are Swedes. Tomas Steen, born in Winnipeg spend most of his fall/winter/spring in North America and Germany when his Dad played pro hockey, is Swedish.
From what I seen on LeafTV, Valiev seems like a real good guy. I don't expect him to take generational vengeance on Russian players in the dressing room.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Good to hear he played alright, in his brief stint. If one or both he or Reilly playing at least bottom 3 well, it would be a boon for this organization.

Any report on his injury? I hope it was just precautionary. Although with Lernout being called up ....Last game Juulsen didn’t look sharp. Was a key part of goals against.

Anyway, would be great to see some of these new guys get a look, whether it is in the AHL or not ...

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
We sometimes classify people into categories without knowing the facts. For instance Galynchuk is born in Wisconsin is a Russian to most folks The Nylander born in Calgary and spent most of their childhood in North America are Swedes. Tomas Steen, born in Winnipeg spend most of his fall/winter/spring in North America and Germany when his Dad played pro hockey, is Swedish.
From what I seen on LeafTV, Valiev seems like a real good guy. I don't expect him to take generational vengeance on Russian players in the dressing room.
Galchenyuk lived all over Europe for his dad's hockey and speaks Russian. His Dad is Belorussian. Nylander was born in Canada but spent the four years prior to getting drafted in Sweden and possesses citizenship- only there for his dad's hockey.

Thomas Steen was Swedish, born and raised, though his son Alex was born in Winnipeg, yet again lived in Sweden, atleast some of the time as evidenced by his eliteprospects page.

There's some truth to those beliefs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Galchenyuk lived all over Europe for his dad's hockey and speaks Russian. His Dad is Belorussian. Nylander was born in Canada but spent the four years prior to getting drafted in Sweden and possesses citizenship- only there for his dad's hockey.

Thomas Steen was Swedish, born and raised, though his son Alex was born in Winnipeg, yet again lived in Sweden, atleast some of the time as evidenced by his eliteprospects page.

There's some truth to those beliefs.

I understand dual citizenship but was kinda mocking how folks get caught in a players "citizenship". You're right I got Alex and Thomas named confused. Alex lived in Winnipeg and Germany till he was 18, spending just summers in Sweden.
Nylander spent most of youth in North America, to call him Swedish in a stretch, just like calling him a Canadian or an American not quite accurate either. More like citizens of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->