Rimouski's 2008 eligibles.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ill cut and paste what was said in HPO's 2006 QMJHL Draft Guide:

1. Patrice Cormier, C/W Moncton, MJAHL
The beauty of this player is how simple he makes the game look. He plays a physical game on the wing, and when called upon, wins faceoffs easily. He has incredible vision for the net, and for his linemates. He fills the front of the net well, can handle the defense's abuse, and can deflect shots well. He backchecks hard, and plays on the penalty kill as well. He communicates with linemates very well, and as such, makes them better as well. He does not stay on the ice too long, and is responsible. Patrice has an incredible amount of talent. What may have been a publicity stunt by the Beavers last season, his game was perfect in Junior A this season. He will have no problem making an impact in the Q next season. He will not shoot the lights out, but he will be a top 16 year old.

Puck Skills/Shooting: A ; Passing/Vision: A ; Intangibles: A ; Skating: B ; Toughness: A

Regular Season: 43-GP 21-G 27-A 48-PTS 41-PIM
Playoffs: 6-GP 2-G 2-A 4-PTS 6-PIM

4. Phillipe Cornet, W Amos, AAA
At the age of 15, Cornet became the fourth player to finish first with the most points at the end of the season in the entire history of the Quebec Midget AAA league. Alexandre Daigle, Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Brent Aubin were the only ones who previously completed this achievement. Other than his impressive numbers, Cornet possesses an exceptional view of the game. Mobile, fluid and blessed with good footwork, he can spot an open guy when he’s on the move, anywhere along the ice surface. He protects the puck well along the boards and can create nice plays at the same time. He’s more of a set-up man than a natural scorer, but rarely misses his chance to score when he gets the chance. He’s not afraid to go through traffic even when the play’s getting physical. Should get his chance next year to rack up the points in the QMJHL during his rookie season.

Puck Skills/Shooting: A- ; Passing/Vision: A ; Intangibles: A ; Skating: B ; Toughness: C+

Regular Season: 44-GP 25-G 46-A 71-PTS 40-PIM
Playoffs: 17-GP 13-G 18-A 31-PTS 8-PIM

8. Alexandre Neron, D SSF, AAA
A defensemen with great offensive skills is rare, and the fact that he’s right handed and has an interesting physic makes him a great prospect. Néron possesses great abilities but doesn’t necessarily use them when its time to execute because of low confidence level. He’s fast, balanced and very fluid. Moves the puck very well in all three zones. Executes good coverage on defense even if he’s not the type of defensemen to deliver big hits. Possesses a shot good enough for the pros. Good first pass from his own zone on the breakout, his view of the game is really developed. He improved a lot during the season. When he gains more confidence, Néron will become a dominant offensive defensemen in the QMJHL.

Puck Skills/Shooting: A- ; Passing/Vision: B+ ; Intangibles: B+ ; Skating: B+ ; Toughness: B-

Regular Season: 39-GP 8-G 23-A 31-PTS 46-PIM
Playoffs: 3-GP 0-G 0-A 0-PTS 16-PIM

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
I've seen couple of games/practices of Rimouski since the beggining of the camp, and the player I'm the most surprised is Néron. He's a good offensive D and pretty solid in his own end.

Also, I don't think Cormier will be a Bernier. I think James Sheppard would be a good comparison.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've seen couple of games/practices of Rimouski since the beggining of the camp, and the player I'm the most surprised is Néron. He's a good offensive D and pretty solid in his own end.

Also, I don't think Cormier will be a Bernier. I think James Sheppard would be a good comparison.

Neron, for some reason last year WAS NOT given the credit he deserved. Perhaps because he was 5'11, or perhaps because many people felt he was all-out offense. Plus playing in Sauve's shadow didnt help.

But Neron is a stud at both ends of the rink. He is a do it all defensemen and many people only viewed him as an offensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->