Rimouski vs. Halifax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
paxtang said:
You've got to be ****ting me. You write two posts complaining about Halifax being dirty, then use an instance where a nic player spears a Mooshead in the balls as proof that they are dirty? The Picard "hit" wasn't a dangerous hit, he crosschecked him in the back lick often happens along the boards. Enough to cause Stewart to be pissed and possibly instigate a fight? Sure. To turn around a spear someone in the balls? That was a total ***** move and deserved a game misconduct.

I agree he should have got a game misconduct. The Stewart spearing was probably the worst of the bunch, but the Halifax players were just looking for trouble.

If you've watched the whole game, the Halifax players pulled that **** ALL game long. Slashes to the hands, dangerous hits from behind near the boards. It was a disgrace. So if you're going to pull that ****, you better expect to get some love in return. That's the only dirty play I saw a nics player do that night compared to countless others by the moose. I wasn't using the Stewart incident to prove Halifax was a dirty team. I just said that happened because of all the crap that took place prior to that. Animosity levels must have been very high at that point and that's perfectly understandable.

As for your argument Stewart should have turned around and fought, it would have been noble of him, but quite frankly, chances are he'd just get his ass kicked. He's a small, weak talented 2nd liner, not a fighter. Btw I don't understand the "if you get cheap shotted all night, you must not do it back but act like a good tough kid and fight even if you’re likely to get your ass kicked" mentality. I say live by the sword die by the sword. Cheapshots for cheapshots. Why play it clean if your opponent doesn't ?

Personally, I have no problem with what Stewart did when placed in context. It's not like he did that out of the blue, Picard brought this on himself. Maybe next time he sees someone near the boards without the puck and in a vulnerable position he'll think twice before crosschecking him into the boards. You say it wasn't dangerous ? I say it was. If Stewart lose his balance and falls head first into the boards instead of on his knees, you've got a completely different outcome. I've seen many harmless hits like that turn out very ugly, and this certainly could have happened there too. Stewart was just lucky to fall the way he did, or he was probably expecting it, seeing how the mooseheads did it all night long.

Btw he didn't spear him in the balls..

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
E = CH² said:
They played a very clean game in the first one. But the second was a disgrace. When their talent failed to match with Rimouski's they started boarding, checking from behind, slashing and hacking their way to PK after PK. And they could have got twice as many penalities as they got.

I have nothing against good clean hits but checking your opponent from behind into the boards head first (which happened at least 3-4 times) and the slashes on the forearms (countless) I have a lot of difficulty accepting. I hate to start the have some respect for your opponent McGuire rant but there's just no need for this in hockey.

At the end of the 3rd, when Picard hit Stewart from behind when he was a few feet away from the board and that Stewart got up and speared him, I surprisingly found myself applauding Stewart's gut buster move. At last, one of the nics player got tired of that crap and gave some love back.

If this keeps up, by the time this series is over the nics won't be in any shape to play London. It would be a shame if Halifax made it impossible for Rimouski to win the memorial cup because of their dirty plays and cheapshots.

Its playoff hockey. Do you want Ballet on ice? Why no mention of the Spear that Stewart gave to Picard??

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
E = CH² said:
Personally, I have no problem with what Stewart did when placed in context. It's not like he did that out of the blue, Picard brought this on himself. Maybe next time he sees someone near the boards without the puck and in a vulnerable position he'll think twice before crosschecking him into the boards. You say it wasn't dangerous ? I say it was. If Stewart lose his balance and falls head first into the boards instead of on his knees, you've got a completely different outcome. I've seen many harmless hits like that turn out very ugly, and this certainly could have happened there too. Stewart was just lucky to fall the way he did, or he was probably expecting it, seeing how the mooseheads did it all night long.

Btw he didn't spear him in the balls..

Great logic. I guess what Bertuzzi did to Moore was ok because he elbowed Naslund. Picard cross checked Stewart, standing still, enough to knock Stewart down, not into the boards. You see that play 20 times in a game. But I guess Stewart was allowed to Spear him in that instance.

:help:

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
There was a reason Picard didnt' get a penalty right in front of the ref. It's because it wasn't a penalty. It was the same play that happens in front of the goal, or along the boards. It wasn't a big deal. Definetly not worth a spear in the balls (and from what I saw, it looked like he brought it up straight into the groin, if not it was damn near close).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
paxtang said:
There was a reason Picard didnt' get a penalty right in front of the ref. It's because it wasn't a penalty. It was the same play that happens in front of the goal, or along the boards. It wasn't a big deal. Definetly not worth a spear in the balls (and from what I saw, it looked like he brought it up straight into the groin, if not it was damn near close).

It should have been 2 minutes for the crosscheck, and 5 and a game for the spear.

But that would be calling it by the rules of the game so obviously I am wrong.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Crosbyfan said:
It should have been 2 minutes for the crosscheck, and 5 and a game for the spear.

But that would be calling it by the rules of the game so obviously I am wrong.

It should have been 5 and a game and that's it. If they start calling that crosscheck, there'd be 25 of them a game. But that's not the point. The point is that it's insane to complain about Halifax being dirty, and to use a play where a Rimouski player spears a Halifax player as an example. Just not very solid logic there.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
paxtang said:
It should have been 5 and a game and that's it. If they start calling that crosscheck, there'd be 25 of them a game. But that's not the point. The point is that it's insane to complain about Halifax being dirty, and to use a play where a Rimouski player spears a Halifax player as an example. Just not very solid logic there.

Whatever you say dude... I already said I didn't try to prove Halifax was dirty by bringing up the Stewart spearing, but if you want to keep seeing it that way, fine with me just don't expect me to reply on your wraped view of what you think I was trying to say.

And btw I suggest if you didn't watch the game you abstain from talking about it, and that goes for everyone else in this thread who didn't.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Great logic. I guess what Bertuzzi did to Moore was ok because he elbowed Naslund. Picard cross checked Stewart, standing still, enough to knock Stewart down, not into the boards. You see that play 20 times in a game. But I guess Stewart was allowed to Spear him in that instance.

:help:

All the crap that took place before led to the spearing. It wasn't just an isolated incident where Stewart went wild. Have you watched the game ?

La-La-Laprise said:
Its playoff hockey. Do you want Ballet on ice? Why no mention of the Spear that Stewart gave to Picard??

I was waiting for the classic Ballet on ice reply. Thank you for providing the cliche.

billabong55

Dec 8, 2003
Canada
Visit site
This is playoff hockey. There are going to be players getting hit (although the aforementioned Picard "Cross-check" wasn't nearly as bad as some seem to think it was). As for the spear, it was gutless. It should have been 5 and a game, and there should be a suspension. End of story. There is no way to excuse it.

As for the slash on Scalzo, it should have been called too. And I can almost guarantee that Brine (I think) who slashed him will get suspended if Halifax sends in the tape on Stewart. A two handed slash should be called. But, that also applies to the two handed slash Crosby gave to (McAuley or Picard I think) to the back of the legs. It should have been called too and wasn't. I guess the ref wanted to be consistant.

As for Crosby. I will not deny he is a talented young man and will have a successful career. But he has to grow up if he wants to be a respected hockey player. That temper tantrum he threw TWICE in the first game was absolutely ridiculous, and his crying to the ref everytime a Halifax player looked at him was laughable. If he makes it to the Mem Cup it will be pretty funny to watch his reaction when the OHL or WHL refs just skate away and don't call a penalty everytime someone touches him.

The last two games have been high emotion and there have been questionable hits/calls between both teams. It's the Presidents Cup. It's the playoffs. Get over it.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
billabong55 said:
This is playoff hockey. There are going to be players getting hit (although the aforementioned Picard "Cross-check" wasn't nearly as bad as some seem to think it was). As for the spear, it was gutless. It should have been 5 and a game, and there should be a suspension. End of story. There is no way to excuse it.

As for the slash on Scalzo, it should have been called too. And I can almost guarantee that Brine (I think) who slashed him will get suspended if Halifax sends in the tape on Stewart. A two handed slash should be called. But, that also applies to the two handed slash Crosby gave to (McAuley or Picard I think) to the back of the legs. It should have been called too and wasn't. I guess the ref wanted to be consistant.

As for Crosby. I will not deny he is a talented young man and will have a successful career. But he has to grow up if he wants to be a respected hockey player. That temper tantrum he threw TWICE in the first game was absolutely ridiculous, and his crying to the ref everytime a Halifax player looked at him was laughable. If he makes it to the Mem Cup it will be pretty funny to watch his reaction when the OHL or WHL refs just skate away and don't call a penalty everytime someone touches him.

The last two games have been high emotion and there have been questionable hits/calls between both teams. It's the Presidents Cup. It's the playoffs. Get over it.

Agree 100%.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Why no mention of the Spear that Stewart gave to Picard??

I saw it. Stewart is really a stupid hockey player. He always swings his stick like an idiot. He should be suspended for at least 4-5 games.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
paxtang said:

If they call it consistently there wouldn't be 25 per game. The players get away with it, so they do it. They have to do it. It becomes the effective standard. The best play available. The highest and best use of their skills.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
E = CH² said:
And btw I suggest if you didn't watch the game you abstain from talking about it, and that goes for everyone else in this thread who didn't.

I did watch the game.

E = CH² said:
I have nothing against good clean hits but checking your opponent from behind into the boards head first (which happened at least 3-4 times) and the slashes on the forearms (countless) I have a lot of difficulty accepting. I hate to start the have some respect for your opponent McGuire rant but there's just no need for this in hockey.

At the end of the 3rd, when Picard hit Stewart from behind when he was a few feet away from the board and that Stewart got up and speared him, I surprisingly found myself applauding Stewart's gut buster move. At last, one of the nics player got tired of that crap and gave some love back.

This is what you posted. First you say that Halifax was dirty because of hits from behind. Then, as a specific example, you bring up the Picard hit. You SPECIFICALLY used the Picard hit to demonstrate your point that the Moose played a dirty game.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
paxtang said:
This is what you posted. First you say that Halifax was dirty because of hits from behind. Then, as a specific example, you bring up the Picard hit. You SPECIFICALLY used the Picard hit to demonstrate your point that the Moose played a dirty game.

See this is what you still don't get. It's very simple, now read carefully.

I was simply writing a post about the game. I talked about the dirtyness of the mooseheads in the first part of the post thinking we all knew what I was talking about. And then I talked about the Picard-Stewart incident saying I was surprised that I wasn't offended by what Stewart did because of all the crap that took place before. I wasn't trying to demonstrate anything by saying that.

Anyway I'm done here, this is not very constructive.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Rahan said:
I thought he was pretty much missing in action.

Yeah he's had 4 assists on like 15 goals scored by Rimouski and has been -2. Someone mentioned that he may have an injury, his stats haven't exactly been great considering the fireworks from Rimouski. That said 2ppg. while being invisible, not too bad!!! :biglaugh:

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
E = CH² said:
See this is what you still don't get. It's very simple, now read carefully.

I was simply writing a post about the game. I talked about the dirtyness of the mooseheads in the first part of the post thinking we all knew what I was talking about. And then I talked about the Picard-Stewart incident saying I was surprised that I wasn't offended by what Stewart did because of all the crap that took place before. I wasn't trying to demonstrate anything by saying that.

Anyway I'm done here, this is not very constructive.

You didn't make that distinction at all. It's not my fault you forgot to write that. If that's what you meant, whoopdedoo, but I don't know how you can talk to me like I'm Pejorative Slured just because you expect us to be able to read minds. Unless of course the paragraph break was supposed mean you weren't trying to demonstrate anything.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bryanbryoil said:
Yeah he's had 4 assists on like 15 goals scored by Rimouski and has been -2. Someone mentioned that he may have an injury, his stats haven't exactly been great considering the fireworks from Rimouski. That said 2ppg. while being invisible, not too bad!!! :biglaugh:

He has an upper body injury. He isnt taking faceoffs. He was the top faceoff guy in RIM during the reg season but Roussin and Crosby are taking turns on the draws.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
He has an upper body injury. He isnt taking faceoffs. He was the top faceoff guy in RIM during the reg season but Roussin and Crosby are taking turns on the draws.

Is this now fact??? I've heard this once before, have you read it in the papers or anything??? Thanks, Bryan

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Do you mean a recent one?Crosby has been
taking the faceoffs since shortly after the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->