Player Discussion Riley Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Why do you get so bent out of shape over Jared Knight?

Not everyone knows he has medical issues like diabetes.

And bingo as to why many need to think before they post and or know what they're talking about before they post

I have several family members with diabetes and it makes things like cuts hard to heal let alone ankle injuries etc

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
1st round pick from back in 07,
Point per game player in NCAA,
20-point pace each year with Carolina,
Slight dip in point pace this year.

All signs point to a surge to get back in the normal range.

But maybe there is more to Riley Nash than meets the eye? Would be wonderful if we could be a consistent 25-30 point bottom 6 player, specializing on the PK.

bumping this post of mine from last March. I was really hoping that Nash could be exactly what he's been the last 10 games. Actually, pretty much all year so far, I haven't had any issue with his play, other than fumbling some offensive changes, but that's expected. He seems to have found a perfect role for himself / Cassidy has created the perfect role for him. Great job by all and hope it continues... At his current pace, he'll surpass the 25-30 point player I was even hoping for.

The Heinen-Nash-Backes line should be here to stay.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And bingo as to why many need to think before they post and or know what they're talking about before they post

I have several family members with diabetes and it makes things like cuts hard to heal let alone ankle injuries etc

In fairness, the vast majority of us here are just fans without inside information, and if the players/clubs don't release that sort of information (and no reason why they should) all we know if player X is playing poorly and is not living up to expectations. Regardless of the reason, a poor player affects the team negatively, whether it is a "wasted" draft pick or high profile free agent. Take Beleskey- for all we know, Matt has some underlying health issue that has never been made public, but even if we know, does it make his contract a better one? It probably makes zero difference.

Where I do think you are right, though, is the armchair MDs and psychologists that pop up and claim that player X is lazy, or has no work ethic, or doesn't care, or is scared or whatever. So it should be okay to point out that Jared Knight was a bust of a pick for us, regardless of why, or that Beleskey has turned out to be a terrible signing. It never needs to be personal.

And Riley Nash is kicking some a** right now, and I don't expect the point pace to stay this way, but wouldn't it be great if it did, and really, other than past performance, we have no reason to think it won't. He seems to have found a niche so far with the right linemates.

Reactions: Chief Nine

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I would have no issues to re-sign Nash on one or two year extension around 1.5-2 million AAV. He's a very useful utility player on cheap and easily expendable contract.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
bumping this post of mine from last March. I was really hoping that Nash could be exactly what he's been the last 10 games. Actually, pretty much all year so far, I haven't had any issue with his play, other than fumbling some offensive changes, but that's expected. He seems to have found a perfect role for himself / Cassidy has created the perfect role for him. Great job by all and hope it continues... At his current pace, he'll surpass the 25-30 point player I was even hoping for.

The Heinen-Nash-Backes line should be here to stay.

I think it's great that he's playing better. I hope he continues to produce.

Last 10 games - 8 Points

96 previous games - 20 points

It's a nice little streak. If something is working, which this line clearly is right now, they should stay together. I think based on his skill set, his place is on the 4th line though.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Brings very little to the lineup but hogging important mins

We already overpaying backes for that. Drop down to 4th line , trade or waive him already

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I can't say enough about his play. He's turned into a straight up dominant defensive player and is doing enough offensively to hang with Backes and Heinen.

McAvoy will obviously get 7th player but I feel like that award is tailored to a season like this.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I used to rip on Nash being a black hole. Wowza
He's the poor mans Bergeron. He scored that huge 2nd goal today and always so strong defensively.
I resign this guy, and I'm convinced it was him or Colin Miller. Sweeney chose correctly!

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's only January 6th but this could hold up as the most asinine post of the year

It is? Your post is asinine

Why didnt you post this when he was on pace to score 19 pts for the season averaging near top 6 min?

Nash is finally waking up

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Why didnt you post this when he was on pace to score 19 pts for the season averaging near top 6 min?

Averaging top 6 minutes out of necessity. With Krejci, Spooner, and Backes out for extended stretches of course someone is going to get bumped up a line.

Reactions: Bun cook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Brings very little to the lineup but hogging important mins

We already overpaying backes for that. Drop down to 4th line , trade or waive him already

I have no problem saying I've been as hard on Riley Nash as any poster on this board since he became a Bruin. I've called for his head multiple, multiple times.

But even I can't deny he's been playing some awfully good hockey the last 8 weeks. I still think ideally he's your 4th line center despite his play with Heinen and Backes. But in no way should they trade him for peanuts or waive him the way he's performed, to even suggest it is ludicrous.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Credit is due. Stop trying to be right. Love what is happening and move the FFFF on admit as fans we are nothing more than Amateurs in regards to projecting players, PS you under 22 are a disgrace when it comes to hockey assessments,, Team bonding covering each others back s etc matters. Corsi character and heart and drive. The Bruins are shocking me but they truly are a team,

yes I am drunk because I am home after 5 months in hospital

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Too f***ing funny

I posted at least a month ago Nash would score atleast FORTY points if Krejci was out for an extended period and went into his previous circumstances, past, skillset, draft position, hockey IQ over multiple posts

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Nash has been playing really well but I want to see it for the next 40 games to believe he is anything but a really solid 4th liner.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I can`t recall what kind of production he had when with the Canes for years but if I can get 20-30 pts from a guy making about a million I think? Then I`m happy

I think he struggled at times last year, playing initially under CJ there was a clear mandate to just take care of the defensive side of things and let others worry about putting the puck in the net. Cassidy jumps on board and I saw a change in his game/confidence down the stretch last year, didn`t necessarily turn him into an offensive dynamo but...

Then this year with so many injuries, far too many players playing out of what I would consider their ideal spot in the roster and to ask/expect Nash (and others) to look comfortable or be able to play their game just wasn`t reasonable.

Now, I`m not sure I ever saw this kind of production from him especially recently. Chemistry is an odd thing, and that line with Heinen and Backes with Nash has been a pleasant surprise. Nash is playing with confidence, and with that confidence, I see him initiating more on the physical side of things, winning battles and chipping in nicely offensively.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nash has been playing really well but I want to see it for the next 40 games to believe he is anything but a really solid 4th liner.
Guys like him who are both intelligent and team oriented will take coaches direction and successfully act on it.

Third line is about right for him - you have a strong defense base and some offense skills.

That was behind the Gretzky assessment of Frederic.

My view is you want a balanced player between offense and defensive on third line but defense always carries the day.

Nash points and chances don't appear to be based on luck or garbage collecting from a superior linemate

He's had to many plays in the offensive zone for at least me to not think 15 minutes with good linemates he could get 40 points

Playing with Heinen and Backes is about as good as it gets on third line

Bruins first line is spectacular 200 foot beast

The third line is strong on wall and defensively with offense ability

Their 4th line is very good pack like

If Krejci is healthy he makes the second line good and the team very hard to beat

Logic says JFK will be third line center next year and Kuraly 4th

Nash will be priced out but he is versatile player and major component of PK

If I was Montreal I'd go after him only concern is Claude would use him above his pay grade and skill set

I really like him on any bottom 6

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Guys like him who are both intelligent and team oriented will take coaches direction and successfully act on it.

Third line is about right for him - you have a strong defense base and some offense skills.

That was behind the Gretzky assessment of Frederic.

My view is you want a balanced player between offense and defensive on third line but defense always carries the day.

Nash points and chances don't appear to be based on luck or garbage collecting from a superior linemate

He's had to many plays in the offensive zone for at least me to not think 15 minutes with good linemates he could get 40 points

Playing with Heinen and Backes is about as good as it gets on third line

Bruins first line is spectacular 200 foot beast

The third line is strong on wall and defensively with offense ability

Their 4th line is very good pack like

If Krejci is healthy he makes the second line good and the team very hard to beat

Logic says JFK will be third line center next year and Kuraly 4th

Nash will be priced out but he is versatile player and major component of PK

If I was Montreal I'd go after him only concern is Claude would use him above his pay grade and skill set

I really like him on any bottom 6

You really think he is a legitimate 3rd line center, interesting. Up to this year he has been a 4th liner, maybe he is a late bloomer. Anyways I will be quite glad to be proven wrong, if he and that 3rd line continue to play as they have, we are going to be a very tough out come playoff time.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Whatever dude

You know it all

You're the man - awesome

what happened to your boy Nash??

I will tell you what happened...he went back into hibernation

It was just a "flash". The guy is forever a blue collar 4th liner that may put up unexpected pts here and there. Never in a consistent fashion.

Bruins should really be calling up Cehlarik and Bjork (now that it looks like he has gained some confidence back). Both Schaller and Nash can join Mcquaid and enjoy the chicken wings from the top

Marchand Bergeron Pasta

Debrusk Krejci Spooner

Bjork Heinen Cehlarik

Kuraly Backes Acciari

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

It was just a "flash". The guy is forever a blue collar 4th liner that may put up unexpected pts here and there. Never in a consistent fashion.

Bruins should really be calling up Cehlarik and Bjork (now that it looks like he has gained some confidence back). Both Schaller and Nash can join Mcquaid and enjoy the chicken wings from the top

Marchand Bergeron Pasta

Debrusk Krejci Spooner

Bjork Heinen Cehlarik

Kuraly Backes Acciari

He continues to play solid hockey and produced an assist on the first goal. You're out to lunch. This lineup confirms it. Backes on the 4th line to get two rookies in the lineup on the 3rd line? Have you been watching anything this season? Backes has been a stud on that 3rd line. Why he is being replaced by an inferior Cehlarik? You guys and your hard-ons for these shiny new toys. Let Bjork and Cehlarik continue to grow in Providence.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Marchand Bergeron Pasta

Debrusk Krejci Spooner

Bjork Heinen Cehlarik

Kuraly Backes Acciari
I can't believe they scratched him today

You are a Hockey God :bow:

I surrender

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Marchand Bergeron Pasta

Debrusk Krejci Spooner

Bjork Heinen Cehlarik

Kuraly Backes Acciari

Were you sleeping or breathing out of your mouth when Nash won a board battle that lead to the Chara goal ( and picked up an assist ) today?

But sure, let's put a kid that hasn't centered a line in about 3 years as our new third line center. Brilliant move.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Were you sleeping or breathing out of your mouth when Nash won a board battle that lead to the Chara goal ( and picked up an assist ) today?

But sure, let's put a kid that hasn't centered a line in about 3 years as our new third line center. Brilliant move.

Between two rookies, while our 6M dollar power-forward wastes away on the 4th line....Where do people come up with this stuff? When he typed that out, what clicked in his head that said, "This will be awesome!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->