Player Discussion Riley Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
With all due respect to the ones worried, Nash is a teir above both Campbell and Paille and a diffferent player than Beleskey

But I wouldn't pay market value if that's what's going to make him stay either

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I'd rather give Nash a 1 year 4 million contract than multi year if we can fit it. Would make sense to have him one more year just to make sure we have him if the next wave of prospects falter.

With guaranteed contracts he's better off getting a 3-4 year deal to secure himself 10+ million. That's more than his career to date.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I've been really hard on this guy, I didn't think he could move up the lineup and still be effective. He is really proving me wrong and I wouldn't be against bringing him back on a 3 year contract around 10 mil. He is definitely a nice insurance piece to have and I think center depth is extremely valuable.

Reactions: Bmessy

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Boy was I wrong about this guy. He deserves a ton of credit for improving his game and doing it in season too. He wasn’t all that good early on.

Love this from the Herald today:

The B’s are 6-0 since Patrice Bergeron left the lineup with a broken foot. His linemates, Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak, still are flying high, and his replacement, Riley Nash, has three goals and five assists in that stretch.

:clap:

That is impressive!

Last edited:

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Riley has really been great this year. I am really worried about them keeping him though. He reminds me of Chris Kelly in 2012. He was essential to their success during the cup run and had a career year in his first year with the Bruins and then they paid him like a 40 pt player (at that time) and he never sniffed that again. That contract was a boat anchor. I worry they will get themselves into a similar problem with Riley.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Riley has really been great this year. I am really worried about them keeping him though. He reminds me of Chris Kelly in 2012. He was essential to their success during the cup run and had a career year in his first year with the Bruins and then they paid him like a 40 pt player (at that time) and he never sniffed that again. That contract was a boat anchor. I worry they will get themselves into a similar problem with Riley.

Nash is what, 3 years younger than Kelly at the stage you are comparing them? It might not be quite the same, but I get the concern. I would like to re-sign him and think if given the opportunity he can sustain this play. I guess it all depends on the term and price he is looking to get. He needs to cash in on his last chance for big contract, though, so he might price himself out of here.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Nash has had a good season,but would rather see a younger player next season who is going to be a replacement for Bergy and Krejci down the road.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Nash has had a good season,but would rather see a younger player next season who is going to be a replacement for Bergy and Krejci down the road.

Nash is only 28, soon to be 29- he is a great transitional center/wing for us as we integrate more young players. I think the team needs players like him during this roster turnover but again, he may want and deserve more than we want to give based on his projected role as a 3rd line center.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
i think we see jfk at 3c next year, but it's difficult to let go of riley since he's useful whether or not he's producing offensively. if you can get him for something like a 2.8 or 9 aav over 3 years i would do it in a second.

i offer him 3/8 and see where it goes from there

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Nash is what, 3 years younger than Kelly at the stage you are comparing them? It might not be quite the same, but I get the concern. I would like to re-sign him and think if given the opportunity he can sustain this play. I guess it all depends on the term and price he is looking to get. He needs to cash in on his last chance for big contract, though, so he might price himself out of here.

Sure, there is a better chance Nash can continue to be a 40 point center going forward, but look at the UFA 3rd line, 40 pt centers that signed UFA deals last year. Martin Hanzal - $4.75 x 3 years (40 pts last 2 years). Nick Bonino - $4.1 X 4 years (39 points last year).

I REALLY don't want to pay that with the real possibility that this is the best he will ever be. The better bet is to try to find the next Riley Nash in UFA (Lance Bouma? Matt Peca?). You will likely see a downtick in production but the roster flexibility is more valuable with the two young Centers coming (JFK, Frederic).

Reactions: Dr Hook

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Nash is a stud. Can playmup and down the line up,without hurting the team. Is capable of playing PK. Seems to be a quiet room player and seem to be a good teamates.

Underrated player by alot i think.

Is having a huge year.

He will get a 3-4 millions deal somewhere. We will see whatnis Sweeny plan gong forward

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Nash is only 28, soon to be 29- he is a great transitional center/wing for us as we integrate more young players. I think the team needs players like him during this roster turnover but again, he may want and deserve more than we want to give based on his projected role as a 3rd line center.
Don’t have an issue moving him to the wing for decent money,but Bruins really need to start developing another offensive centerman.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
i think we see jfk at 3c next year, but it's difficult to let go of riley since he's useful whether or not he's producing offensively. if you can get him for something like a 2.8 or 9 aav over 3 years i would do it in a second.

i offer him 3/8 and see where it goes from there
That would get them in cap trouble. There players out there that can take his place. He has earned a raise, just not here. Doubt he comes back. Bruins off season will be interesting. Both Nashes will be a point of interest.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With all due respect to the ones worried, Nash is a teir above both Campbell and Paille and a diffferent player than Beleskey

But I wouldn't pay market value if that's what's going to make him stay either

He is, to me he's Rich Peverely 2.0

Peverly was a solid contributor during the cup run and had a good season the year afterwards. Solid versatile forward who could play C/W and move up and down the line-up.

By the time his 3-year extension kicked in 2012-13, he had a poor regular season and was just awful in that years playoffs, by the time they got to the finals he was on the 4th line and put up a grand total of 2 points in his 21 playoff games.

Bruins need to let some other GM make the mistake of paying Nash what the market will command on July 1st.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I really hope they're smart enough to walk away from Nash. He's having a great year, and will be offered $3m+ from lots of teams, but this is the first time in his career that he put up better than 4th line numbers- and he'll be 29 when he signs his next contract.

Is this just a desperate money-push season or is he one of those oh so rare, super late bloomers like Mike Knuble?

Even if he is just a late bloomer, he's going to get 3 and 4 year offers. Do we want to block Frederic and JFK for the next 3-4 years? Honestly, I think JFK needs another 1/2 to full season in the minors but I still wouldn't offer Riley a 3 year deal. They still have Backes who can play C and be a stop gap until one of the kids are ready. Plus, they have more wing prospects than you can shake a stick at. Wouldn't it be better for the organization to get Backes back to C so they can get some of Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik, etc back into the lineup?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Let him goooo. Let him gooooOoooo.

But really, just let him go.

Don’t make PCs mistake of paying bottom 6 guys like fringe top 6 guys.

And the difference between the PC era and the Sweeney era is Sweeney has the kids in the pipeline to help fill the holes in the lineup

Reactions: Estlin

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
The more I watch, the more I'm a believer. I still wouldn't run the risk of giving him that long term 3C contract. A lot of bottom-6 players have unpredictable breakouts/declines at his current stage. Last year at 27 he had the worst offensive season of his career. This year at 28, he's going to shatter his season bests. Yes, he's been exceptional this year. They've already seemingly committed to Backes as a 3rd line staple.... at $6M. There are better ways to allocate cap space IMO. You want to be able to sign and retain core level players. Go find the next Riley Nash or Tim Schaller coming from poorly run organizations. There's always useful untapped talent out there every summer for cheap. Maybe it's from within. Don't run into the same problems Chiarelli did.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
He is, to me he's Rich Peverely 2.0

Peverly was a solid contributor during the cup run and had a good season the year afterwards. Solid versatile forward who could play C/W and move up and down the line-up.

By the time his 3-year extension kicked in 2012-13, he had a poor regular season and was just awful in that years playoffs, by the time they got to the finals he was on the 4th line and put up a grand total of 2 points in his 21 playoff games.

Bruins need to let some other GM make the mistake of paying Nash what the market will command on July 1st.
I don't see Peverly when I watch Nash. He looks more like Bergy IMO. Such a strong, smart defensive player. Why would it be a mistake to pay market value to keep him? He has done a great job stepping in for Bergeron all season.

Pay the man! He's earned it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see Peverly when I watch Nash. He looks more like Bergy IMO. Such a strong, smart defensive player. Why would it be a mistake to pay market value to keep him? He has done a great job stepping in for Bergeron all season.

Pay the man! He's earned it.

I didn't say they are the exact same player, but they are both that swiss-army knife style player who do a lot of things pretty good.

Why would it be a mistake to keep him? This thing called the salary cap and a pipeline of young players coming up who you will need line-up spots for in the next 1-2-3 years.

He's a luxury the Bruins don't need long-term.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I didn't say they are the exact same player, but they are both that swiss-army knife style player who do a lot of things pretty good.

Why would it be a mistake to keep him? This thing called the salary cap and a pipeline of young players coming up who you will need line-up spots for in the next 1-2-3 years.

He's a luxury the Bruins don't need long-term.
I get it. The kids are coming, but this guy has been exceptional. I don't see JFK or Frederic replacing what Nash brings. He deserves way more credit for this teams recent success.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I get it. The kids are coming, but this guy has been exceptional. I don't see JFK or Frederic replacing what Nash brings. He deserves way more credit for this teams recent success.

And if they don't, so what?

In a non-cap system, it's a no-brainer to try and extend Riley Nash. But it's not.

But even if the young guys who take his place don't replace 100% of what Nash brings, what they do bring on ELC contracts will likely be better value than what Nash brings on a new extension, allowing the Bruins to spend cap dollars on players that bring more value than Nash.

I think bare minimum for Nash is a 3-year deal. He isn't taking another 2-year pact, nor should he. I can see a team offering 4-5 years. Even at 3, his extension of 3-4 million per will overlap with extensions needed for McAvoy/Carlo/Gryz/Krug/JFK/Debrusk/Heinen/Bjork/Donato(possibly)/Kuraly, etc. etc. They will need that money.

And if he regresses back to his previous career form, just another bad contract on the books with the young wave of Bruins needing new deals.

Bruins need to be very careful with both Rick and Riley this summer and not get into the Chiarelli problem of trying to keep the entire band together.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
That would get them in cap trouble. There players out there that can take his place. He has earned a raise, just not here. Doubt he comes back. Bruins off season will be interesting. Both Nashes will be a point of interest.
not really. the cap is going to increase and eventually, my belief is, krejci will be dumped with more assets. when the bruins are eliminated in the playoffs and krejci’s inability to skate and deal with a high impact game and unfavorable zone starts against good teams is apparent moreso, i think they will be looking to cut ties. jfk is very, very good and it would not be totally shocking if frederic turned pro this coming season. i do not believe this team is worse, literally right now, with jfk playing dk’s mins, at least at even strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->