Riley Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Defenseman for the Brandon Wheat Kings. Won a WHL Championship with Medicine Hat last year. Has been Brandon's steadiest d-man throughout the playoffs and was the only Brandon D-man who I felt comfortable having on the ice when Getzlaf was out there in the Calgary series. Very good defensively (team leading +11 in the playoffs so far) and has major league size (6'3, 220 lbs.).

I was just wondering if this guy had ever been drafted and if not why?

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
re:

As a 17 year old i think it was he got sent home from camp for being out of shape i think, so maybe that scared some scouts off(work ethic). And i think this was his best play so far. Would have been nice if he would have been able to play a full season, but that injury probably helped brandon basically steal him from med hat for next to nothing.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
allin4466 said:
As a 17 year old i think it was he got sent home from camp for being out of shape i think, so maybe that scared some scouts off(work ethic). And i think this was his best play so far. Would have been nice if he would have been able to play a full season, but that injury probably helped brandon basically steal him from med hat for next to nothing.
And another reason why he's not worn down from playing a full season!! How's his hand doing, some rumours that was the cause of him missing a game against the Hitmen?
He appears to relish the physical side, and he excelled against Ladd...

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I haven't seen him scrap yet as a Wheatie, did he drop them much in MH?? Guy that size probably won't get many dance partners on the ice!!

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Riley Day is tough as nails....he is great defensively when he wants to be.....he has little to no speed however....his work ethic has been terrible since being in the league and even before.....he tries only part of the time.

kid never got drafted due to laziness.
has big league size, big league talent, pewee work ethic.

as for him being brandons most solid defenceman.....Steven Later has been that hands down.

I have been impressed with Day's play for the Wheat Kings, if he keeps this up he will surely have a free agent shot with some NHL club because he does have the size and ability.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
as for him being brandons most solid defenceman.....Steven Later has been that hands down.

Really, Later really scared me at times during the Calgary series, especially in his own end. for instance, in game 7 vs. the Hitmen, instead of dumping it off the glass to get the puck out of the zone, he would try to dangle through two guys to get outside of his zone. I agree he's got some slick moves and he's a great skater (I thought he played awesome in game 3 of the Hitmen series when he was moved to forward, in the third period), but trying to deke past Getzlaf to get the puck out of your zone is not the smart play. But I will also say those type of plays are expected from an offensive d-man such as Later, those type of players like to take chances and must to be succesful.

I really like the player but I disagree as to who has been more solid defensively. I thought a major reason the Wheaties won the Hitmen series was because McCrimmon switched his matchups. The Later d-pairing was originally playing against the Getzlaf line and were torn to pieces in the first few games of the series, Later was getting punished by the Ladd-Getzlaf forecheck. IMO, when Brandon matched Day with the Getzlaf line there was a marked difference and the Wheaties partially contained Getzlaf and limited his chances.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
anytime later is on the ice, you know there is a good chance there is going to be a goal scored, you just never know for which team. hes been a bit of a liability from time to time with horrendous turnovers

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Does anyone know what happened to Day in tonites game. I was listening on the radio and he stayed down on the ice for a long time after he was injured. Any word on what the injury is?

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Big Deaner said:
Does anyone know what happened to Day in tonites game. I was listening on the radio and he stayed down on the ice for a long time after he was injured. Any word on what the injury is?

He fought Kozak and lost right at the first drop of the puck. Kozak landed a couple decent shots. Then a bit later Day collided with Tyler Plante and thats when he left with a concussion I guess.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Sabes said:
He fought Kozak and lost right at the first drop of the puck. Kozak landed a couple decent shots. Then a bit later Day collided with Tyler Plante and thats when he left with a concussion I guess.
How was Plante, is that why he left the game? I'm in Yorkton and missed the game, saw the Sk terriers beat the Mb terriers 2 v 1. Fast game with no red line isn't!

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
sbtatter said:
How was Plante, is that why he left the game? I'm in Yorkton and missed the game, saw the Sk terriers beat the Mb terriers 2 v 1. Fast game with no red line isn't!

That's why Day left. Plante played decent but let in too many goals so they started Nichol for the 3rd.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
Sabes said:
not likely a concussion, he was taken to the hospital for X-rays and was reported as being "a pretty stiff and sore guy right now, but he'll be alright" thats right from mccrimmon

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
allin4466 said:
not likely a concussion, he was taken to the hospital for X-rays and was reported as being "a pretty stiff and sore guy right now, but he'll be alright" thats right from mccrimmon

So is he probable for tomorrow night, day-to-day, indefinite? I really appreciate all the info, keep it up!

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I also noticed that the Wheat Kings added another affiliate defencemen from the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL, the kids name is Andy Zulyniak. I think this could be exactly what the doctor ordered as the Wheat Kings defence has looked like their weakest link the entire playoffs. The article on the Wheat Kings website said that he played a year for the Prince Albert Raiders in 2002-03.

Heres the article: http://www.wheatkings.com/newsitem.aspx?news_id=1458

Anybody who follows the BCHL know anything about this kid, what type of player he is?

Last edited:

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
Big Deaner said:
I also noticed that the Hitmen added another affiliate defencemen from the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL, the kids name is Andy Zulyniak. I think this could be exactly what the doctor ordered as the Wheat Kings defence has looked like their weakest link the entire playoffs. The article on the Wheat Kings website said that he played a year for the Prince Albert Raiders in 2002-03.

Heres the article: http://www.wheatkings.com/newsitem.aspx?news_id=1458

Anybody who follows the BCHL know anything about this kid, what type of player he is?
Day is going to be playing game 5, just watched the news and he is probable. If i had to make a guess as to what they were doing with this new guy, it would be tossing Later up front maybe? Or maybe just beefing up the blueline. First quote this kid has in a wheat kings jersey was
"yeah its kind of ironic, being released from PA back then, now im back and we're gonna take them out of the playoffs"

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
allin4466 said:
Day is going to be playing game 5, just watched the news and he is probable. If i had to make a guess as to what they were doing with this new guy, it would be tossing Later up front maybe? Or maybe just beefing up the blueline. First quote this kid has in a wheat kings jersey was
"yeah its kind of ironic, being released from PA back then, now im back and we're gonna take them out of the playoffs"

Wicked, good to hear the kid has got a chip on his shoulder. I would be all for Later moving up to forward, I think that might be what the Wheaties need to finally get their offense rolling like it was during the regular season.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
Big Deaner said:
Wicked, good to hear the kid has got a chip on his shoulder. I would be all for Later moving up to forward, I think that might be what the Wheaties need to finally get their offense rolling like it was during the regular season.
yeah but where do you play him?

unless they are going to move stone back up with fehr and move topilko down to the fourth and put later on the 2nd line?

fehr - stone - sindel
later - monych - konsorada
reaves - leblanc - burki
hunter - topilko - sandell?

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
to quote the vernon vipers coach on the new guy
"A talented defenseman who plays a complete game. Andy is expected to provide leadership and offensive production from beginning to end. "

he also had 48 points in 59 regular season games and was the interior conferences defenseman of the year.

Last edited:

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
allin4466 said:
yeah but where do you play him?

unless they are going to move stone back up with fehr and move topilko down to the fourth and put later on the 2nd line?

fehr - stone - konsorada
later - monych - sindel
reaves - leblanc - burki
hunter - topilko - sandell?

Good question. One idea, if the Wheaties are down by a goal with like 10 mins. left in the game, they could cut the lines down and move Later up to forward.

But ya, you got a good point, I think Topilko has played well these playoffs and moving him to the fourth line kind of seems like a waste. However, I really think if Later is moved to forward and Topilko is put on the fourth line you have 4 lines that can all score goals at any time. It is a bit of a predicament, but I think it is a good predicament for the Wheaties to be in, having too many guys rather than too few

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Also, maybe if you put Stone and Fehr together they can rekindle some magic and really get the offense rolling. I just think McCrimmon has to tweak the team a bit and he could awaken a sleeping 'scoring' giant.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
Big Deaner said:
Good question. One idea, if the Wheaties are down by a goal with like 10 mins. left in the game, they could cut the lines down and move Later up to forward.

But ya, you got a good point, I think Topilko has played well these playoffs and moving him to the fourth line kind of seems like a waste. However, I really think if Later is moved to forward and Topilko is put on the fourth line you have 4 lines that can all score goals at any time. It is a bit of a predicament, but I think it is a good predicament for the Wheaties to be in, having too many guys rather than too few
the only problem with topilko, is hes got big league speed, big league moves, but bush league finish. I would REALLY love to see fehr and stone reunited so they can pick up where they left off, and like you said, too much offensive talent is a helluva nice problem to have. be nice if we had some defense now.

Another possible move(please let this happen) is moving courchene either a) back up to forward, b) to the stands to watch(PLEASE). he is nothing but a liability EVERY time he is out there.

Mccrimmon obviously has a card up his sleeve here, and hopefully it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad