Right Defense ... a position of need

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2018-2-23_18-31-45.png

Quite the motley crew here.
I see why the Leafs gave a longer deal to Zaitsev that predicted, we aint got right D !

Anyone know if Hainsey played Left D for Pittsburgh ?

EDIT:
I put some Leafs Stats in a Google Sheets.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I was hoping Dermott was a Right D, but he's Left.

upload_2018-2-23_18-40-58.png

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
For this season at least, I would move Rielly to the right. I always thought he looked good on the right. Putting him on the right lets us use Borgman instead of Carrick/Polak. Holl should also get another look on the right. Can't complain about his production in his first two NHL games.

Dermott - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Arguably our biggest need. At the very least, it's status quo with the top four and we acquire someone for the bottom pair to play alongside Dermott. If we believe Dermott is top 4 ready and Borgman can return to a third pair role, maybe we can move Gardiner in the off-season and have the cap space and/or trade assets to acquire a more significant piece.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You could put up virtually teams, even teams that above the Leafs in the standings and those teams would want improvement on their bottom end defensive too. Seem to be a Leafs fans obsession that there their hometown defence is so bad compared to every other team. It isn't.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Right now, I would say Hainsey, Reilly and Dermott are penciled in as your left-handed (shot) D.

I would look to deal Gardiner. He has decent speed, an okay shot if he hits the net but he cannot play his position to save his life. He has a low hockey IQ. I think he's expendable. Currently, they are stuck with Zaitsev as a RH Dman but he's pretty brutal, too. I think one brutal dman is bad, but two of them is one too many.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I think he's expendable.
There is a glut of Left Wingers and Left D league wide.

I bet less Right handed players get moved at the Trade Deadline. Too valuable !

And then there is Erik K, RD.

If he goes at the deadline ... it'll be for a truckload.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Curious if you're just starting to follow the team lol
Haha.

I just want to straighten out ... who is playing on the wrong sides and why.
or even if players like playing "on the wrong side".

If you are so smart ... which Forward is playing on the wrong side ?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Right handed is not a need.
it's a want.
just get good defensemen. geeze

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
They're up there with the Islanders in giving up the most shots on goal. So, I would argue that it is BAD compared to 'every other team.'

I watched part of the Isles game...not sure if it was the 2nd or 3rd period, but even though it was 5v5, the Isles had possession in the Leafs zone what seemed like forever. I think they really tipped the corsi in that sequence. It was pretty pathetic... I didn't even watch all of that.

That was one of the worse games I have seen this year, although it has never to do with the subject. If shots on goals on so important as a stat for elevaluating one's defence, how's this stat. Leafs are 11th in GAA. Look at the Tampa's 5, 6, 7 Dmen, certainly not overwhelming as are lots of good teams.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Haha.

I just want to straighten out ... who is playing on the wrong sides and why.
or even if players like playing "on the wrong side".

If you are so smart ... which Forward is playing on the wrong side ?
Hyman and any Leaf fan should know that same as D.

Rielly has been playing the right side a lot this year and since Christmas is has been a lot. Last year in the playoffs he played the rights side all season long and played the right side for his first 3 years as well. He is our best R D man by a wide margin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad