Confirmed with Link: Rieder and Wedgewood for Kuemper

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would take him back as a 3rd or 4th liner in a heart beat, as long as the contract is reasonable. He should be paid to eat up minutes on the ice, not score. Part of this crap has been his previous use by Tippett on a top line. He's no top 6 player. He's a bottom 6 player and should be paid accordingly. That said, they don't come much better defensively. As long as Tocchet wants to match the bottom lines against scoring lines, Reider has a place on this team.
I would rather have Rieder than Archibald and Rinaldo.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would rather have Rieder than Archibald and Rinaldo.
The problem with Reider isn't his play. It's his play relative to his salary demands. He's not a top 6. He's not Kadri. He's not worth any more than he's already being paid ( if not less given decline in production).

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The problem with Reider isn't his play. It's his play relative to his salary demands. He's not a top 6. He's not Kadri. He's not worth any more than he's already being paid ( if not less given decline in production).
I agree, and that is why I think he was traded.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree, and that is why I think he was traded.
I think he was traded because he peaked a year ago, his production went down this year, he is a winger, and we have tons of wingers. Reidder is just easy to replace and has limited upside now.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Kings fans are saying no thanks to Rieder based on his expected contract demands. I just love seeing stuff like that when there was some misguided talk that Rieder was part of the Coyotes core. I called it before, I do not think the Kings re-sign or qualify Rieder.

I'm not sure Darcy is all he is cracked up to be either, so it might end up being a trade where neither side won and the Kings tried to tweak the team a little bit where they felt it was needed. I definitely feel better with Darcy in the nets than Wedgie if Raanta misses any time next season, but I get the feeling that could have been addressed cheaply in the offseason. I am just glad the Coyotes will not be paying a guy like Rieder over $2M per to retain his rights.

Reactions: Yandover

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I feel most Kings fans were pretty grounded with this trade as well. There were a few posters on the main boards (neutral fans, most likely don't see much of the Coyotes or Kings) that thought this was a clear win for them, but in all reality Coyotes fans knew that Darcy Kuemper's stats were a bit inflated due to playing behind a good defense, and Kings fans knew that Rieder looked good for a year or so until the game got much faster and opposing teams figured out his strengths a weaknesses.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Kuemper is solid. Rieder, I thought he was good, I must admit. But I don't miss seing him believing the opposing goalies having some kind of invisible, but gaping hole in their chest when I come to think of it. So, good trade.

Didn't watch the games. Rieder got zeros points in the play-offs, as far as I can see. Did he play well? Stats says 7 shots. Chest, or good saves?

Kings ran into a hot goalie in the first round. That being one of the best goalies out there, and, additionally, super-hot. Really bad luck for them, espescially for their own very good goalie. As far as I can see.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Tocchet didn't like him. Lost a step by injury. PITA agent. About to be unrestricted because of his QO. Pretty easy to see the whys.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
6 pts in 20 games with Kings. How much is that worth?
When you are a RFA the salary can only go up, so north of $2M for someone that scored at a 25 point pace on the Kings as well as the season. Considering what he offers, that is a lot of money unless you think he is returning to his 15-20-35 level. Even then I am not sure he's worth that kind of money for that level of production.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like Rieder. I think if he still had his wheels, I'd be happy to keep him @2M even at 10g production only because we are so thin.
But this coach isn't impressed, and he's obviously not the same as pre-injury, so...

He really typifies the difference in coaching styles though: positionally sound, plays a perimeter game, generates so-so shots from outside or off the rush. Can't sustain pressure. "Top-notch, excellent 200 foot player". "We've got some guys who should watch him play". Was a coach favourite and lineup fixture.

Doesn't play "in between the circles". Too "comfortable" "attitude" . Need "higher level of play". Scratched and traded.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I know the answer probably is no but any interest in getting Rieder back? Oilers still hold his rights but I bet they want nothing to do with him. If we could get him cheap (say under 1 million) do you do it?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I know the answer probably is no but any interest in getting Rieder back? Oilers still hold his rights but I bet they want nothing to do with him. If we could get him cheap (say under 1 million) do you do it?

Nah. I think someone like Archibald is essentially a best case for Rieder at this point and we already have one of those. Plus he's slower now.

Reactions: _Del_

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Nah. I think someone like Archibald is essentially a best case for Rieder at this point and we already have one of those. Plus he's slower now.

So, he can never be another Grabner, or be a second type of Grabner?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Rieder should just go back to the DEL and be a superstar there. I think his NHL usefulness is about over.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Rieder should just go back to the DEL and be a superstar there. I think his NHL usefulness is about over.

I think the way this has gone down, he will get another shot at it with another team. It's just my hunch.

Many people -even in charge- will wish him to be an NHL-superstar just for the fun of it.

I may be wrong of course, I remember once in 1985 .. (OK, kidding. Bad joke. :naughty:). Excited to see if I'm right this time though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad