Confirmed with Link: Rieder and Wedgewood for Kuemper

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
As Coyotes fans we have lacked exciting players for so long that once we get one, we can't fathom the idea of losing them. I was one of the ones, admittedly, that was extremely pissed at the idea of losing Duke. I kind of realize now that he may just be another Enver Lisin. Pure offensive talent that can't build a complete game necessary to compete full-time in the NHL. Duclair would be a top player in the KHL because he plays a pure offensive game. I still want to see what he can do under a less-strict coaching staff, but in the same breath I think of the fact that he should've flourished under Tocchet (who is known for nurturing skilled forwards and being a players coach.)

I'm willing to admit now that Duclair is probably not the player I expected him to be after his first year with us. I really don't know what it is, but I wish him the best.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Can honestly say It's been my opinion since day 1 that neither of Duclair or Rieder were anything but dime a dozen NHL players, I had no idea what everyone else saw in them to get excited about??

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Can honestly say It's been my opinion since day 1 that neither of Duclair or Rieder were anything but dime a dozen NHL players, I had no idea what everyone else saw in them to get excited about??
When your roster has consisted of so many AHL/Euro caliber players for so long, it's nice to have dime a dozen NHL players. Still think we took the short end a bit on this deal, but Rieder leaving isn't exactly devastating to anyone.

Reactions: Yandover

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I know Hill played last night, but Kuemper looks like a won deal.

Excellent. :D

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
His agent used unfair and unrealistic comparables in contract negotiations. Nazem Kadri, a 50-point center, was his comparable for Rieder, a 35-point winger.

Two more of his clients: Josh Andersen, CBJ, who demanded a trade during negotiations. And Athanasiou, who threatened to go to the KHL.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
His agent used unfair and unrealistic comparables in contract negotiations. Nazem Kadri, a 50-point center, was his comparable for Rieder, a 35-point winger.

Two more of his clients: Josh Andersen, CBJ, who demanded a trade during negotiations. And Athanasiou, who threatened to go to the KHL.

WHAT?! Rieder isn't a Star NHL player with the hands to put up 50 points?! But I thought that trade thread said that he was?! That the Yotes were fools for trading such a core player?!

Haha, sorry... still just funny thinking about that thread. That agent is also the worst.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and Mosby

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
But I thought that trade thread said that he was?! That the Yotes were fools for trading such a core player?!

Let's imagine the not so fun world where this trade isn't made.

Raanta still gets hurt, Wedgewood plays 5 of these games and runs our little winning streak into the ground, Rieder shoots a few wide or into the pads.
Good times had by all :banana:

I still think Kuemper needs to shape up a bit and that we overpaid a tad, but damn that was a timely trade.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Let's imagine the not so fun world where this trade isn't made.

Raanta still gets hurt, Wedgewood plays 5 of these games and runs our little winning streak into the ground, Rieder shoots a few wide or into the pads.
Good times had by all :banana:

I still think Kuemper needs to shape up a bit and that we overpaid a tad, but damn that was a timely trade.
A legit backup NHL goalie for a 3rd liner with little offensive skills and an AHL goalie? I don't see an overpayment there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Name Nameless

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
A legit backup NHL goalie for a 3rd liner with little offensive skills and an AHL goalie? I don't see an underpayment there.

I did say a tad. And just because you overpay doesn't mean the trade was bad necessarily. Especially on a marginal one like this that filled a clear need.

I don't think Kuemper had much value, he was a pending UFA. I also don't think Rieder had much value but that was more a reflection of his current performance after the injury.

Prior to that he scored 14 and 16 goals in full seasons. Yeah the jokes about him shooting right into the pads are funny and I make them often. But I think "little" is over-correcting in how Rieder is offensively.

He may never fully recovery from his injury, but Rieder had his power play time completely cut this year and while recovering and till manged to score 8 goals for this sad sack team during its worst stretches. If anything I think there's some reason for optimism he'll eventually find his game again. Certainly so at the time, his current performance since being traded is another matter. Course we were about ready to fire Panik into the sun about a week ago too.

But he's clearly a mercenary who's always going to be a PITA at contract time and we have LWs out the you know where. I'd have pegged Rieder as worth a 3rd and Kuemper a 4th.
Retaining 15% and Trading Wedge ( who I don't think we'd have resigned as an RFA) I see as a wash.

So yeah. Slight LA value win. Coyotes filled a need.

Reactions: _Del_

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Not only that, but the trade that brought him to Arizona was another crazy agent move. He didn’t like the Oilers depth on the wings (lolwat?) so demanded Rieder be traded to Arizona or he’d go back into the draft. He’s caused issues since day one. He’s one of those guys that I can see becoming a “why won’t anyone sign xxxx?” player, and it’s mostly on his agent.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not only that, but the trade that brought him to Arizona was another crazy agent move. He didn’t like the Oilers depth on the wings (lolwat?) so demanded Rieder be traded to Arizona or he’d go back into the draft. He’s caused issues since day one. He’s one of those guys that I can see becoming a “why won’t anyone sign xxxx?” player, and it’s mostly on his agent.

I think this was before he switched agents but, yes, too much drama for a very replaceable player.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
In Rieder's defense, the drama was all his agent's . Rieder was still playing in Europe and signed what was perceived as the original offer. As fans wanted his signature sooner, there was no reason to do it until he was on this side of the pond. However, his agent did alienate the fans and is very questionable if he should get a qualifying offer this summer.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
In Rieder's defense, the drama was all his agent's . Rieder was still playing in Europe and signed what was perceived as the original offer. As fans wanted his signature sooner, there was no reason to do it until he was on this side of the pond. However, his agent did alienate the fans and is very questionable if he should get a qualifying offer this summer.
I would take him back as a 3rd or 4th liner in a heart beat, as long as the contract is reasonable. He should be paid to eat up minutes on the ice, not score. Part of this crap has been his previous use by Tippett on a top line. He's no top 6 player. He's a bottom 6 player and should be paid accordingly. That said, they don't come much better defensively. As long as Tocchet wants to match the bottom lines against scoring lines, Reider has a place on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad